Lube choice for AR MSR Pattern rifles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So whats the BEST GUN OIL?
18.gif

Nah, I kid. Specifically, what do you like to use on your AR/MSR type platform? I'm running 16 inch carbine and so far plain old Break-Free CLP has been working great. Granted, I don't run the guns THAT hard, mostly just some range practice with limited to no mag dumps. NO real fun stuff. BUt the CLP works well on everything I've used it on...

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever rebate recommendation owner sale specification manual grade manufacturer.

Actually I'm interested to know as well. I've heard MMO works.

Last edited:
Well LOL what oil does your gun call for under warranty?

Lots of gun oils are very expensive, I make my own. A mix of CLP and Mobil 1 0w-20.

Left over top off oil is always available.

Gun oil that doesn't have a strong odor is what I like. I use Klotz Techniplate synthetic 2-stroke oil which is odor free and works as good as any other I've tried. As for CLP, it stinks, is tough to wash that smell off your hands and the smell lingers wherever you use it. I used it for so many years in the military that I wouldn't touch it ever again, even if it was free for the taking.

Last edited:
My DPMS LR-308 is a bit picky on lube. It will not run for long on Remoil. (Too thin, I reckon).

It runs well on AMSOIL's new gun oil, and on any quality, heavier oil. It evens runs well on TW-25B (light grease).

My regular 5.56 AR isn't picky about which lube, it runs on any lube as long as that lube is applied generously. I've used Hoppe's oil, AMSOIL, and others. They all work well in that one.

Both should be generously oiled to ensure reliability.

I keep a small bottle of CLP in my range bag. Comes in handy, often for other shooters, actually! I was at the range one day and the guy next to me had a brand new AR that was acting up. RSO took a look, it was bone dry. His first gun, and he didn't know much about them. I overheard the conversation and handed over my little bottle of CLP. All was well after that.

Last edited:
I'm a guru on the AR platform. The honest answer is they all work IF you apply it before shooting, and then reapply it every 100-300 rounds.

These guns are direct impingement, which means it dumps 500 degree gas at 18,000 PSI into the bolt carrier group to work the action. The heat is brutal to these guns, and evaporates most lubes leaving the gun rather unlubricated.

For shooting in arctic winter conditions, I'd use synthetic 0W20 motor oil or synthetic G96 CLP. Both have very cold flow properties, and will not freeze until really cold.

For shooting in 40-100 degree F conditions, you want a thicker viscosity lube, that resist heat burn off and stays put longer..

I can recommend the following as good lubes for this platform:
Break free LP (Not CLP)
Weaponshield
Slip 2000 EWL
Slip 2000 EWL30
FP10
ALG very thin grease 0000

And remember, the gov testing labs found that these guns work if WELL lubricated, and choke when barely lubricated, especially when dust or sand are entered into the equation.
A dry dusty gun with no lube chokes, while a dry dusty gun with lots of lube works fine. You literally cannot over lubricate these guns. Use a lot more than you would think.

I spend a lot of time at the range and an honest to goodness 85% of these guns I see at the range are way under-lubricated.

And the last point, never ever use Remoil. It's the worst lube on the market by far, for these guns. ANY other lube is better.

These lubrication charts bear repeating. It helps shooters unfamiliar with the AR platform know WHERE to put the lube. And as Bubba said, you can't over lubricate a direct impingement AR-15 rifle.

I've used several different products to keep my ARs lubricated over the years- CLP, Mobil 1, Tetra gun grease, M-Pro 7 lpx, and I'm sure there's another one or two I've tried. Have not really noticed a difference in function of the rifle with any, although cleanup of carbon on areas like the bolt tail seem slightly easier with M-Pro being applied as a lubricant before shooting.

Highest round count in one session was 497. Started with plenty of lube, and 2 re-applications throughout. That was with CLP. No failures due to operation of the gun (although there was one that was mag related).

Currently using M-Pro 7 lpx and happy with it. I do keep a bottle of CLP, a pull through and a patch in my range bag so I can get some CLP in the bore while the barrel is still warm before heading home to make cleanup easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back