Beating a dead horse - 2AZ-FE oil visocsity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BoostedSwede
Alright, so from these answers, I think I will move to a 5w30, stay with a well known synthetic, and get a UOA done at 5k miles on my next change...see if I can move to 10k OCI.

On a side note...I want to change the manual transmission fluid. The OE fluid is very notchy/stiff when cold. Any recommendations there? I've gathered that I should stick with a GL4 lube, even thought the manual says I can use GL4 or GL5.

I'll vote M1 5w30 EP as I believe bullwinkle has had success in his XB with it
smile.gif

Good enough for me

In this case, a UOA at 5k miles is too short, in my opinion. 8k miles is what I would do the first UOA at with Mobil 1. I would actually choose Amsoil Signature Series and go 11k miles. With long OCIs, it becomes extra important that the air filtration system is well-sealed.

For manual transmission fluid, I would use Amsoil’s most appropriate product (I don’t know which one that is). Red Line would be my second choice.

Originally Posted By: dogememe
4k rpm? How fast are you commuting at??

I typically cruise between 80-90 mph. 90 is 4k rpm with my 5 speed tranny.

Typical Connecticut driver! Idiots out there. Stay off Rt.84 & 684 where I drive please!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Armkb
Originally Posted By: dogememe
4k rpm? How fast are you commuting at??

I typically cruise between 80-90 mph. 90 is 4k rpm with my 5 speed tranny.

Typical Connecticut driver! Idiots out there. Stay off Rt.84 & 684 where I drive please!

I actually learned to drive in MA, and am fairly new to CT. Not sure if that makes it better or worse!

And to be fair, traffic on I-91 (my normal drive) usually is moving at 85 in the left lane.

Thanks for your opinion!

Last edited:
By '14 the oil ring issue had been taken care of (supposed to be done by MY 2012).

Me, I am just going to run xw-20 and change it every 5000 miles.

If I was doing an 80 mile commute, I would probably do it every 10,000 miles (if using synthetic).
Actually I would find a closer job, but that is another topic. I am done with long commutes.

I think I posted this before, but here's the actual Warranty policy bulletin.
The Scion xB is on the problem list through the 2015 models, which was the end of production for that model. All the other Toyota and Scion models went to revised engines before the xB.

Toyota POL14-12

The other Toyota/Scion models year ranges that used that problem 2AZ engine (in some cases it was an optional engine, eg. Corolla, Matrix)) are shown on the dealer communication. Of course, not everyone has had bad oil consumption, depending on vehicle use, driving habits, maintenance or just luck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hank2
... Of course, not everyone has had bad oil consumption, depending on vehicle use, driving habits, maintenance or just luck.
I've yet to see a good explanation which combination of those factors makes the difference, and why, although speculation is not hard to come by.
Likewise with the 2ZR-FXE, which sometimes guzzles oil too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back