'09 Tacoma 2.7L, 5k OCI, PP 0w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
2009 Tacoma SR5 with 60k miles. Short tripped by my father, Job is 3 miles away, with occasional weekend 20-mile roundtrip. 5k OCI over the course of 1 year. Thoughts? Previous fill was Castrol 0w40 (???source of higher viscosity seen???) And butt dyno, along with perfect hearing, definitely likes the 0w20 in that truck. Can't say the same for my other vehicles...

Seeing that there’s still 9ppm of titanium (about 1/5th of the dose in Castrol), I’d say that’s where the increased viscosity is coming from.

Short tripping, 0w20 or 0w30 is about right.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Seeing that there’s still 9ppm of titanium (about 1/5th of the dose in Castrol), I’d say that’s where the increased viscosity is coming from.

Castrol 0w40 has 45 ppm Ti in it? I can't remember, can't find it either, but that sounds about right.
If that is true, then the 10.3 KV100 we see is a bit high. Might be due to the start of sludge build-up. Not serious, yet its there.

Originally Posted By: Oildudeny
Why are you using a 0 weight down in NC. 09 Tacoma should run great on 5w30

FAILED. Back to motor oil university for you. You should know what the W means.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Castrol 0w40 has 45 ppm Ti in it? I can't remember, can't find it either, but that sounds about right.
If that is true, then the 10.3 KV100 we see is a bit high. Might be due to the start of sludge build-up. Not serious, yet its there.

Yeah it’s between 45-50. Could be some additional oxidative thickening... or it did a good job cleaning and had a lot of stuff suspended in the oil.

For short-tripping like this is, a 0w20 is best. Saves gas during warmup from cold/cool/lukewarm on those short trips. Plenty of protection for the weekend trips. Flows great when cool.

Simple. It was what I had on hand from my stash of free oil, and at the time of the oil change it was getting chilly, so 0w20 felt like the best option.

For short-tripping like this is, a 0w20 is best. Saves gas during warmup from cold/cool/lukewarm on those short trips. Plenty of protection for the weekend trips. Flows great when cool.
Yup!

That is what I'm thinking.

10-30 mobil I works fine in PA all year, warmer climates could surely use it safely. not a fan of the 3in1 oils, thin to start + thinner with use + higher HTHS adds protection with minimal mpg penalty IMO!!

Originally Posted By: benjy
10-30 mobil I works fine in PA all year, warmer climates could surely use it safely. not a fan of the 3in1 oils, thin to start + thinner with use + higher HTHS adds protection with minimal mpg penalty IMO!!

540 clone. Nobody uses 3in1 oil in their cars. Your bias clouds your judgement

Originally Posted By: benjy

This ^^^

Originally Posted by Bond
Im sorry but what is butt dino?

The Butt dino is the finely tuned seat of the pants guess of the improvement +or -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back