DOT3 or DOT4 for HONDA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BHopkins
Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Originally Posted By: parshisa
Walmart prestone DOT3 would be OK you think?

Last brake fluid flush used Prestone DOT3 "High Temp Syn", slightly higher wet and dry BP. At the time it was only $1.77 12oz bottle at WM with online order, store pick up. Excellent price. Online price here now matches in store price.

Dot 3 or 4 will work in Honda.

If you are one that does a brake fluid flush and fill on a regular basis, with very few exceptions, it really doesn't matter which DOT 3, DOT 3/4 or DOT 4 you use for a daily driver. Prestone, Valvoline, Mastercraft. For driving to and from work every day, weekend trips in the country, and running errands, you don't need Pentosin, ATE, Bosch, Castrol, or any of the other premiums. But if you like one of them, and decide to put it in the daily driver, then go for it.

Yeah, the primary reason for choosing Prestone Dot3 was because the WM .com pricing at the time was too good to pass on. Had little to do with the fact they call it "synthetic" and it slightly exceeded the Dot 3 specs. Unless the price drops back, next time another brand Dot3, Dot 3/4 or Dot 4 will be fine.

Remember that DOT 3 fluids are nearly always lower viscosity than DOT 4 fluids. Whether you care is up to you. You can find exceptions, but the off-the-shelf stuff at supermarkets and big auto parts stores are generally like this.

I put Prestone DOT 4 in my Honda last time I flushed the fluid.

Just picked up 32oz of Prestone DOT3 for 7$. Hard to beat the price.

Everyone, thanks for your help and suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back