Hey Canucks - Petro Canada Fuel Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey fellow Canucks,

How does Petro Canada Top-Tier fuel compare to that of other stations we have up here? I get my fuel paid for by work and they prefer us to use Petro Canada because they get a discount but I haven't really used them in the past and have preferred using Shell where possible. I find I get the best performance and economy out of their gas at least in my previous vehicles.

Also do you see any benefit of using the Premium over the Regular for the added cleaning agents? According to Petro's website all grades meet Top-Tier and have cleaning agents but the premium contains the most.

08.gif

I can't get points because of the Fleet card discount they get. But with gas prices at ~ $1.30 / Litre I'll take the free company gas.
lol.gif

Last edited:
I have filled up 185 times in the past 5 years. 184 times at Petro Canada. I have no experience with other places (Esso, Shell) but I would think they are pretty much the same.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
I think they offer Optimum points now, too.

That's Esso

I used Petro-Canada gas a lot in years past, but my G37 did not like that station's premium. The old F-150 doesn't care about what gas I throw at it. When I had the Lightning, it was fine with Petro-Canada's premium. The G37 stumbles a bit on it on occasion and gets warm start issues. I've tried many times, thinking it was my imagination, but had to move on.

As for running premium instead of regular for enhanced detergency, I suppose that depends upon how its blended. Shell advertises enhanced detergency for its V-Power NiTRO+, but that may not apply to other stations' offerings.

Petro Canada states that their Premium has more detergents in it. They even allude to it on the pump buttons showing more Beakers as you go up in octane.

Quote:
Petro-Canada's SuperClean gasolines contain higher levels of Tactrol, our unique formulation of deposit-control additives, which will actually help prevent future buildup of harmful deposits with regular use. (Tactrol is also available in our RegularClean (87), PlusClean (89), SuperClean 94 (Montreal only) and Ultra 94 grades of gasoline.)

Quote:
If SuperClean helps to clean my engine, what about PlusClean and RegularClean gasolines? Don't they clean my engine as well?
Yes. If you have been a loyal Petro-Canada purchaser, your vehicle is likely delivering its best performance. However, if you sometimes purchase lower quality gasolines, SuperClean can help keep your car’s fuel injectors and fuel intake valves clean.

SOURCE

1280px-CAN-ON-PetroCanada-7314MarkhamRd-FuelPump11a-2005Jun12.JPG

Last edited:
I haven't seen those prices in years. 78.5/L????

https://toptiergas.com/faqs/

Is TOP TIER™ only for premium gasoline?

No. TOP TIER™ fuel marketers use TOP TIER™ for all octane grades of gasoline sold at their stations. So all grades provide enhanced cleaning power.

Last edited:
The Petro-Canada stations that only have the 87,89 and 91 have no ethanol in the 91 fuel. The ones that have the 94 octane gas have ethanol in the 91 octane. I only use Petro-Canada 91 ethanol free in my Ram.

We have Mobils popping up now. Id choose mobil or esso first (just preference) followed by Shell. Ultramar is near me so sometimes I go there. I just use regular..the cost of premium outweighs the benefits unless ur car recommends premium..itd be the only time I use it. I may occasionally get a full tank of premium in the USA for kicks. Dont think it makes a difference.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Petro Canada states that their Premium has more detergents in it. They even allude to it on the pump buttons showing more Beakers as you go up in octane.

Now you remind me, I remember. It's been a while since I bought gas at one.

As I mentioned, only the G didn't like it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NO2
I haven't seen those prices in years. 78.5/L????

https://toptiergas.com/faqs/

Is TOP TIER™ only for premium gasoline?

No. TOP TIER™ fuel marketers use TOP TIER™ for all octane grades of gasoline sold at their stations. So all grades provide enhanced cleaning power.

It's an old photo I pulled to illustrate what I meant by "Beakers". Also the Top Tier comment isn't related to what I was talking about. I wasn't questioning whether any of the grades had cleaning agents or were top-tier. I was getting at that Petro Canada Super 91 octane has more cleaning agents in it as they state and whether it was a good idea to use it for that over regular with less in it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak

Now you remind me, I remember. It's been a while since I bought gas at one.

As I mentioned, only the G didn't like it.

All the pumps around these parts say "Contains up to 10% ethanol." Whether they carry 94 or just up to 91.
frown.gif

Last edited:
Don't know if they even have Ultramar in Ont.I believe it's the biggest in Quebec but it's not Top Tier. I use Esso or Petr-Can, both Top Tier but I only fill up with 87. Can't feel a difference between those two brands. Rolla07 mentioned Mobils popping up, we're both from Montreal, I haven't seen even one station.

Originally Posted By: madeej11
Don't know if they even have Ultramar in Ont.

There are quite a few Ultramar stations here in Ontario. I pass two of them when I pick up my son in Orangeville and I know that in the east end of Toronto there are a lot of them as well.

All the pumps around these parts say "Contains up to 10% ethanol." Whether they carry 94 or just up to 91.
frown.gif

As indicated by someone else in one of these threads, it's probably a safe assumption that the 87, 89, and 94 grades have ethanol, but the 91 does not, kind of like Husky/Mohawk. I do remember having a conversation with Petro-Canada about this before, and that's what they confirmed to me at the time, that 91 is E0. They would neither confirm nor deny my suspicions about their winter ingredient, which I took as a confirmation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back