15W-40 in Lawn Mower???

Status
Not open for further replies.
MOst Lawn and Garden devices recomend 10W40 unless operateing in extreme cold. SO your 15W40 should be fine. I use 15W40 in the summer and am trying M1 0W40 right now. It is 14F and it is working fine.

Nearly all B&S I've seen here are rated for a straight 30w. Having said that I've run a multi-vis synthetic which seems to have only been suggested by B&S in recent years as alright. The B&S website does recommend oil grades.

quote:

Originally posted by High Plains Drifter:
Anybody see a problem with running Delo 400 15w-40 in an air cooled lawn mower engine; 5-6hp Briggs and Stratton?

Calls for SAE 30, correct?

AutoZone carries Delo 400 SAE 30 in gallon jugs...tough to beat this stuff for small B&S engines.

I can get the Delo in 15w-40 at work for free. The guys throw away the gallon jugs with several ozs left and I just take them and drain them all in one jug. This is why I was asking specifically about the 15w-40. I know the spec calls for 10w-30 or straight 30w due to the burn-off being a little greater with the multi weight. I will try the 15w-40 in the spring and report back how the engine likes it.

I have two riders, three pushers, and a couple of generaters. All of them have XW40 in them. The gens. have 0W40 for winter starts and everything else either has 5 or 10W40.

I was given a Symplicity riding mower with a rod knock. I had some leftover 20w-50 oil and I think this is the best oil so far. I'm enjoying the experiment to see how long it will run this way. Anyway, lawn equipment is going to be run during moderate temps. I would use free 40wt in blink of an eye.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back