Why People Dislike a CVT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

No secret that many here dislike them. I am curious what the big complaints are.

Here is a starter. "I dislike them because:"

1. They are slow
2. I question reliability
3. I don't like the better gas mileage they deliver
4. I dislike the fact that I cannot hear them shift.
5. They are too "newfangled"

Disclaimer:I like them. Perhaps I or others will learn something here.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I never thought I would buy a car with a CVT. However, the hybrid was priced right and will be nice with climbing gas prices. I have found that this car is very responsive, never lacking in power, and incredibly smooth.

A CVT, Continuously Variable (ratios) Transmission, can mean 2 different types.
One is the common Nissan, Honda, etc. one that uses heavy steel chains and cones.
Another is the planetary gearset ones in some hybrids (Toyota, Ford, Chrysler).

The cone-type ones are a little slow to downshift, which means they aren't well liked by enthusiasts and racers.

Otherwise they work pretty well. Always optimizing the ratio for the conditions. It has a million ratios to choose from instead of the finite 4 to 10 speed herky-jerky transmissions.

Planetary gearset types of hybrid cvt's are fantastic. Luv mine.

Depending on the manufacturer it's the longevity/reliability that is the problem. I hate when OEM's come out without newer technology in their applications that hasn't been properly tested. I understand there can be bugs with everything but when the belt failures were happening in Nissan's first generation CVT's that to me screams that they didn't properly test it for reliability/longevity and that is unacceptable with an investment as costly as a vehicle. I'm not picking on Nissan, just using them as an example, the same thing could be said for Ford's dual clutch nightmare in the Focus transmissions as a comparison for the first round of GDI's / Turbos with massive failures and problems.

The second thing I don't like is the rubber band effect some of the CVT's seem to have when you go to pass or the fake gear shifts they have programmed into some to make them more palatable which ends up just making it worse in most cases. I will hand it to Honda in the Civics and the Toyota in the Corolla for making a decent CVT I would be fine with if I purchased those vehicles. Ford's later CVT's are also not bad.

Last edited:
The new 2018 Toyota Corolla I drove with a CVT seemed to always be revving too high. You really had to feather the accelerator if you wanted to keep the RPM's low. The slightest pressure on the pedal sent the RPM's climbing. The 2018 Camry we ended up buying instead, has a standard 8-speed gear driven automatic, and it does not do this.

You have some "leeway" with the pedal before it downshifts and starts revving up. The CVT in the Corolla just seemed like it wanted to scream all the time. I should say the CVT was not the only reason we bought the Camry instead of the Corolla. The Corolla just seemed way too small.

CVTs have improved greatly since the first versions. I’m sure the early automatics went through the same critique back in the day.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
CTV is better than the CBC, they suck other than Marketplace and hockey.

Yep, plus CBC is too left wing!
lol.gif

Sorry guys, CTV is also a Canadian TV Broadcasting Company, sort of like a mini NBC or ABC.

Last edited:
All this thread is going to generate is 3 types of poster.
The one who bought one, hates it, knows it sucks but wont ever post that, instead rave about how good it is.

The second are people who nothing about transmissions and really don't want to, they think its just another automatic, as long as it goes forward and reverse who cares.

The third, people who don't like them because they are difficult and expensive to repair, expensive as all get out to replace and have a sketchy reliability history.
Add to that most are dog slow, do not relay any feel back to the driver unless its programed to simulate shifting, finicky about maintenance and the type of fluid used, etc.

For me personally they suck big time. I would never own one or buy one. I was just offered a 2011 Dodge Caliber for $500 30 min ago that is going to cost too much (for them, not for me) to repair the electrical gremlins, it has 92K on it and in nice shape as far as it goes but its a CVT.
I am not even interested in flipping it even if it was free, the POS CVT will no doubt come back to bite me.

I only have experience driving one car with a CVT, it was a 2018 Corolla that I had as a rental car in Florida earlier this year. I didn't even know it had a CVT in it until I got home from that trip. Granted, I drove that car pretty gently, so maybe if I had more time with it, or drove it harder, I might have noticing something was different.

I've owned three at this point. Two Subarus and currently, a 2016 Nissan Quest minivan. The Subarus I only kept to about 40K miles and the van currently has 65K miles on it, so I don't have personal experience with longevity yet. I can say the Nissan CVT is as easy as an engine oil change in terms of CVT fluid drain/fills. The Subarus not so much.

As far as driving, I find them great for these applications and our use.

The argument that CVTs are more expensive to repair or replace than a current day step shift auto? Show me the numbers where they're more expensive.

Last edited:
Rented a 2018 Maxima this week. The CVT is tuned to "shift" to make it feel more conventional. I actually preferred the no shift version. Where the engine would simply stay at max HP when required. The fake shift clearly pulls the engine off of it's HP peak for a bit.

Even so, I like CVT's when they are well tuned, shift or not. The Maxima is a truly fun car with plenty of power and throttle response.

Reliability slightly concerns me, some manufactures more than others. I also don't like how they feel, I simply prefer a stepped automatic or manual. They have their place though, no doubt.

I prefer them. Owned many.
I don't need my neck snapped or the boyish need to feel each gear.
They are exceptional in hilly terrain- they just go up the hill without drama.

I agree that the Corollas CVT would keep the revs high. However the 2ZR isn't known to be torquey. Maybe the new M20A will be better.

My father has one in his Impreza, I've driven it more than I care to talk about. As a result I will do whatever possible not to own a car with a CVT. I also know a few people, quite well that own cars with them and have problems with the CVT. As a result they strongly recommend against them. One is a Nissan lease that has been in for repair of the CVT for a month now. She has a loaner and can't wait for the lease to be up. Yes I know a lot of people that don't have problems with them too, but the bad apples spoiled the bunch for me.

Then there are the few respected mechanics I trust that told me to stay clear, that's was more than enough for me.

I better take cover.
27.gif

Last edited:
The only CVT I’ve driven is my mom’s 2012 Patriot.

Disgusting. It drives so gross.

And it had a really bad whine until we had the fluid changed at 60k miles.

they are "said" to be improving, that remains to be seen above 100,000 miles. i am a manual guy 3 pedals or no sale!! read where they are cheaper to build which is prolly the driving force, NEVER in my garage!!

Almost every scooter made since the 1950's has had a CVT and not many folks complain.

It's only in the car world that they get a bum rap (and the infamous Saturn Vue...).

I suspect they could make them better than they do ... But that would mean overbuilding and that is not the direction MFGs are going
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back