5/20 5/30

Status
Not open for further replies.
took my santafe to the dealer for routine check up and oil change.i talked to a couple of tecs.
they advised me to use 5/30 oil instead of 5/20 which the manual calls for.and change oil every
5000 thousand miles instead of 7500.and 3000 for conventional oil.i now use vavoline syn power.
both cars have the 2.4 engine.2015 sonata and 2015 santafe. great cars never a problem with
either.your thoughts please.

Yup,

They are just trying to get you to the dealership more frequently. Even my 96 mitsubishi eclips had 5K mile oil changes on conventional.

my bigole toyota siennas manual calls for 10K mile intervals on 0W-20. Penzoil platinum and M1 AFE do it with ho problem. Oil still looks good coming out.

Run any snythetic out to 7500miles to your hearts content. For "conventional" 6K would be my limit. Conventional today is like synthetic was in the 90s.

Most major brands conventional are synthetic blend weather the bottle says so or not.

Last edited:
5W-30 will work just fine. As seen in the owner's manual too. I had no issues using 5w20 in previous Sonata.

Sounds like the theory that 5w20 is driven by CAFE, otherwise it would be 5w30. As for 5,000 miles changes, that’s for you to decide based on money , convenience etc. I have not seen any exhaustive data on providing that answer. Now back to my popcorn.

35.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
5W-30 would be perfectly fine in your engine, as 5W-20 would also be perfectly ok.
You can probably go 6000/7500 on a synthetic no problem.

Recent posts this week say both the Korean vehicle manufacturers (Kia/Hyundai) are seeing abnormal engine wear with thinner oil run beyond 5K. That's why there's a dealership shift to announce the 365 days use of 5W30 for 5K with their engine replacements.
So perhaps a good idea to use 5W30 and avoid future problems.

Considering fuel dilution issues in GDI engines, I would opt for the 5W30 over the 5W20. I run PP D1G2 5W30 with an OCI of 7500mi/1yr (whichever comes first). Approximately 75% highway miles.

I ran 5-20 on my previous 1.6 GDI '13 Rio to 100,000 miles without incident. Used no oil. My (probably run hard in its past rental life) Soul 2.0 shows no oil use running MaxLife 5-20. I've seen secondary references to 5-20 and engine wear in the past week or so, but must have missed the primary post.

I'm open to 5-30 in the future, but don't see this as a big deal either way. I'm planning on 6000 mile OCI's with MaxLife, or maybe 5000 with VWB. If I could change my own oil, I'd be using one of the many cheap synthetics now out there.

Another question, based on my not so great memories of a dozen years ago--

I remember looking into 5-20, 5-30 when I first had a car which called for the former. This would have to be either an '02 Elantra or a '07 Optima. At that time you could get a basic oil change at Walmart for a little over ten bucks.

Remember looking at the SuperTech data sheets at WPP and figuring out that the 5-20 had additional group 3 in it and was much more of a syn blend than the 5-30. Know almost everything has group 3 in it these days and that even VWB would be a blend if it wasn't for marketing. But are the base stocks of 5-20 still a bit better these days?

Last edited:
*I believe 0W20 has the most PAO base stocks versus 5W20 or 5W30...
Originally Posted By: csandste
Another question, based on my not so great memories of a dozen years ago--

I remember looking into 5-20, 5-30 when I first had a car which called for the former. This would have to be either an '02 Elantra or a '07 Optima. At that time you could get a basic oil change at Walmart for a little over ten bucks.

Remember looking at the SuperTech data sheets at WPP and figuring out that the 5-20 had additional group 3 in it and was much more of a syn blend than the 5-30. Know almost everything has group 3 in it these days and that even VWB would be a blend if it wasn't for marketing. But are the base stocks of 5-20 still a bit better these days?

Started using 5-30 on 2014 KIA optima my last 4 oil changes, car runs quieter and have always change at around 6,000 miles . Might run 10w-30 next summer

my girlfriends new at the time 13 malibu 2.5LS was drinking the spec 5-20 oil, switching to a 10-30 fake synthetic aka group III oil cured that issue!!! car starts + runs good "so far' only 50,xxx in PA retired so miles are low!!

Last edited:
That particular engine DOES like early oil changes, I do 4K miles OCIs with synth oil with mostly city driving.
With short OCIs you prevent valve carbon build up to a degree and valve stem and sleeve wear.
5w-30 Penn Plat is what I use and it does very well.
If your engine started burning oil and you need to top up then there are high chances cylinder walls have scratches and valves are getting lose in their sleeves too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back