Job Interview - 6 hours away

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been on the hunt for a new job for a while and had a few phone interviews but no in-person interviews. I plan on relocating but have been picky about location and job type so prospects have been a bit slim. I got a call this week from a company would like to interview me, they acknowledged that I live out of the area and would need to relocate, but insist on an interview at their location.

The job sounds great, it would be a good challenge for my technical skills, the type of work the company does is interesting to me, and it pays well.

Would you drive 6 hours for an initial interview? Would you spend the $$$ to fly?

Seems like a screening interview on the phone first would make more sense, then if they think you're a decent match for the job fly you out for a face-to-face interview.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I'd drive, but...

If they insist on an in-person interview they should really be the ones flying you out.

This!
thumbsup2.gif

I agree, a initial phone interview is efficient for both parties. I did remind them that it is 6 hrs away and will need to schedule the appointment accordingly. We’ll see if that changes their mind.

The job seems like it would be worth a bit of a hassle if needed.

I had a job interview many years ago where I would end up working in Phoenix, close to where I live, but after the initial phone screen interview, they wanted me to come out to their corp headquarters in New Hampshire. They paid for the flights, the hotel, and the rental.

I would expect at least some kind of reimbursement for travel expenses if they insist on you going 6 hours away.

They should have a phone interview followed by an in person. I would drive and stay overnight. Companies use to pay for travel to interviews but those days are gone for the most part.

It depends, if they have enough local talent to recruit from they probably won't pay for your travel. That said, they should be flexible enough to offer a phone interview long enough to determine if you're a good fit for each other before you make the journey.

If the job is perfect for you, then although they should pay to bring you in, it might be worth it to drive or fly (drive vs fly depends on whether you can get a nonstop flight or not).

OTOH, their unwillingness to pay for your travel might indicate a cheap outlook.

There are no hard and fast rules or custom here.

This is real life where everything is a negotiation / deal and it comes down to the specific supply/demand in consideration of this specific person matching to this particular job.
No company is required or obliged to do anything or pay for any interview travel expensive, no job seeker is required to do anything either.
Do not get caught up on what anybody says is what should be done, there is NO RULE.

They can make you interview, not talk to you for 3weeks, then make you come back again, and a third time and a 4th time and jerk you around and still not give you a final decision. They can ask you to show up and tell you the minute you show up sorry position is filled.

You can only consider yourself and your situation and your decisions. What are your costs, including opportunity costs? What's the potential benefit or upside? How do you see this playing out? How valuable and competitive a candidate do you think you really are? What are your options? if you give up on this opportunity, what's your next best option and next-next best option?

Ultimately what is YOUR decisions for you, there is no point in thinking over what the company should/should not do because that is not under your control, they owe you nothing.

If this is your dream job and they are in the position of power, you better hustle to try to get it. Do you think for example struggling actors or artists are declining auditions because they aren't treated like stars and flown out to Hollywood on the studio's dime?

If it's the reverse and you're the highly recruited candidate; then you are in the position of power, and can demand whatever you want and/or decline opportunities; because you also have a bazillion more knocking at your door, right???

Of course, you should use your words and try to find a middle ground that works best for both parties to have the best outcome for the lowest costs, such as phone/skype interview; before just pulling the plug. There is no harm in asking if the next option is just not pursuing. If you feel they are unreasonable, that is probably a sign for you to take into consideration on how well you match and if you decide to pursue.

Last edited:
Phone interview first, as mentioned. Their time is valuable, as is yours. If they're interviewing a lot of people, odds are they can tell by a phone interview if you're a candidate or not, and then proceed from there w/o wasting anyone's time and money. I also think they should be paying for travel, and lodging as well.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
I've been on the hunt for a new job for a while and had a few phone interviews but no in-person interviews. I plan on relocating but have been picky about location and job type so prospects have been a bit slim. I got a call this week from a company would like to interview me, they acknowledged that I live out of the area and would need to relocate, but insist on an interview at their location.

The job sounds great, it would be a good challenge for my technical skills, the type of work the company does is interesting to me, and it pays well.

Would you drive 6 hours for an initial interview? Would you spend the $$$ to fly?

Fly.

We recently flew in a guy from Oklahoma to interview for a position, all expenses were paid.

You have to be willing to spend money on travel expenses for a quality new hire.

I'd drive, but...

If they insist on an in-person interview they should really be the ones flying you out.

Exactly. When I changed jobs in 82, the company paid for flight, hotel, meals, etc., and then paid to move me from Delaware to Texas.

Depends on position

Salary degree required, additional cert, or advanced degree, expenses normally arranged, and it will not be a lower end motel.

Salary degree expenses normally arranged, mid motel, take taxi or uber

salary, or salary non-exempt, expenses normally paid, but you may submit an expense report or they may do it for you.

Hourly, anything can happen. Good auto tech, diesel mech, highly skilled trade, expect expenses, otherwise ask but do not expect.

Rod

If you are old, fat, disabled, expect to be told the position is filled when you show up. This is why I would arrange to have expenses paid. Make sure they are not one of those. I have a rotund engineer friend, that actually misses much less work than most thin people, and it took him years to find work when our employer closed. Same thing with my Diabetic fiend, he gets hired and then a year later he is laid off. Not work related.

Rod

I'd drive, but...If they insist on an in-person interview they should really be the ones flying you out.

+1

I'm sure they are looking at this from the perspective that if you're willing to drive 6 hours one way just for the interview, you really want the job. That alone will give you a lot of "brownie points", for just showing up with a smile and a handshake.

If you call them up and start asking for them to pay expenses to simply talk to you, forget it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back