Quaker State Synthetic vs Pennzoil Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quaker State is the bargain basement brand of Shell, and Pennzoil is the higher priced brand of Shell. It is not the same oil formulation.

Originally Posted By: wdn
Quaker State is the bargain basement brand of Shell, and Pennzoil is the higher priced brand of Shell. It is not the same oil formulation.

But either one is good enough to get the job done.

Originally Posted By: sir1900

Both seem fine when I use/used them … but why is Shell not willing to put mileage potential on the label …
We even get that on filters these days …and so many other expendable products …

Interestingly enough, the “bargain” version actually comes with payment of up to $3k if you reach 300k miles on it, which sounds like a much better deal than the Pennzoil warranty. If you reach 300k miles they’ll give you the blue book value of the car. And you keep the car. Not bad for a “bargain” oil.makes me want to buy a car and keep it for along time. And it can start at 100k miles, the clock on the warranty.

https://www.quakerstate.com/en_us/warranty.html

Originally Posted By: KnicksGiants

Interestingly enough, the “bargain” version actually comes with payment of up to $3k if you reach 300k miles on it, which sounds like a much better deal than the Pennzoil warranty. If you reach 300k miles they’ll give you the blue book value of the car. And you keep the car. Not bad for a “bargain” oil.makes me want to buy a car and keep it for along time. And it can start at 100k miles, the clock on the warranty.

https://www.quakerstate.com/en_us/warranty.html

How many cars still have a trade in value of $3k at 300k miles?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4WD

Both seem fine when I use/used them … but why is Shell not willing to put mileage potential on the label …
We even get that on filters these days …and so many other expendable products …

Great point 4wd. Maybe why Pennzoil highest end oils have not done very well.

Oil cheaper than either of them will get the job done, nevertheless Quaker State is the bargain brand of Shell and Pennzoil is the higher priced brand. And brands is what they are neither of them is a company, Shell Oil is the company. The brand positioning is marketing.

For the ‘motor oil warranty’ though I try not to laugh about them. All oil company warranties are useless. You are going to stick to one brand for 10 years. Now the warranty program ends at 10 years or 300,000 miles whichever comes first. So let’s play along you are at 10 years and 1 day and your car has not reached 300,000 your engine repair warranty ends. Most 10 year old cars have more like 150K miles not 300K. You would have to drive 30,000 miles a year for 10 years to get the 300,000 miles of engine coverage. But the nearly a sucker bet part of it is they say well if you are a normal driver you have 20 years to reach 300,000 miles for the ‘cash bonus’. But to stay in the program you had to use Quaker State synthetic for 20 years and do every maintenance step in your owner’s manual for 20 years not just oil changes. Belts, hoses, cololant changes all by the book for 20 years or 300,000 miiles. And you better have 20 years of receipts to show them. That is if they don’t just end the program in the next 20 years.

Would be nice to see some evidence that they have ever paid out on a warranty claim. If you drive a lot of miles getting to 300,000 in 10 years is a challenge. Change the oil every 3,000 miles = 100 oil changes. At current ~$20 per 5 qt jug that's only $2,000. If your car was still worth $2,000 and they actually paid out you got all of your oil change money back. Great marketing tactic because it sounds great but still like to see the number of payouts they have done.

Even if the Pennzoil additive package is arguable better than the Quaker State brand, Shell makes no guarantees about oil change interval for either brand. Might as well go with the cheaper one.

Why buy Pennzoil's super expensive Platinum Ultra oil at all, if it does not guarantee anything about oil change interval? Castrol Edge EP guarantees good for up to 15,000 miles right on the label. Mobil 1 EP likewise guarantees 15,000 miles right on the label.

Shell says its Pennzoil Platnum Ultra is "our best oil" yet Shell seems to have concluded that none of their motor oils is good for 15,000 miles your engine.

Even if the Pennzoil additive package is arguable better than the Quaker State brand, Shell makes no guarantees about oil change interval for either brand. Might as well go with the cheaper one.

Both additive and base oil are different. Platinum uses PurePlus base oil.
I am not anti-QS. I still have two five quart jugs of QS Synthetic to use. I have no Pennzoil currently.

All the oil mileage warranties say "UP TO" and "1 YEAR", except M1 AP (which is still ridiculously expensive), and the kicker-"FOLLOW MANUFACTURER RECOMMENDATIONS"! If you want to push oil longer, there is no substitute for UOA-that way, you KNOW if yor engine can handle it! Don't fall for the marketing bull shiitake!

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
All the oil mileage warranties say "UP TO" and "1 YEAR", except M1 AP (which is still ridiculously expensive), and the kicker-"FOLLOW MANUFACTURER RECOMMENDATIONS"! If you want to push oil longer, there is no substitute for UOA-that way, you KNOW if yor engine can handle it! Don't fall for the marketing bull shiitake!

Some other folks went down the “warranty” path … I pointed out that I have never seen SOPUS give mileage guidance like Amsoil, Castrol, Mobil 1 etc …

I use M1 0w20 EP for engine under GM warranty - think it’s 60-70% PAO and that’s twice what M1 AFE has …
They must be doing that cause all the average buyers know these things, right ? It’s not all marketing … and the average vehicle in the US is over a decade old … warranty worry is come and go. (1 of 4 for me)
My substitute for UOA is follow OEM Dexos … up that a bit with the above … (it’s a powerful GDI engine) and following the OLM I can check on OnStar thousands of miles from home … post warranty I’ll move to 10k, but still rather have something durable …
Further, doubt many have run 10k OCI’s for more years than Tig … don’t see him posting UOA … same oil …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back