*Almost* dead battery less than 3 years old...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
1.5 Mile drive to work isnt severe. I doubt the car even gets warmed up. Severe is when it's 100 degrees outside and your car takes 4hrs to cool down or you take short trips and your car stays warmed up the whole day.

Short trips are the definition of severe
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
51R is very small.

Buy the battery tray and upgrade to V6 Accord battery.

In the Caravan I'm using a Group 34 which is not the smallest battery. First I had the Kirkland brand from Costco and then their Interstate brand. Currently on my second Interstate which is the third battery in six years I've replaced with this vehicle.

In my recently traded 1997 Honda Civic with a Group 51R battery, I was using a Honda branded 100-month battery which lasted me roughly seven years before it started to act up. It never went completely dead like the my other batteries mentioned above. However, when I did replace it, I found it was cracked and leaking acid all over the place.

I was putting about 3,500-miles on the Civic annually primarily driving back and fourth from my work which is a 6-mile round trip with no highway to speak of. The Caravan typically gets about 5,000-miles. Both vehicles are around town stop-n-go driving.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Does Honda require battery registration? If so, the lack of registration will cause the car to overcharge the battery which shortens battery life.

what does the dealer charge to do that on a BMW?
Possibly an unnecessart or finiky German need

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I suppose the heat plus the short trips were just too much for it

Most likely the short trips not the heat.

Predominantly 1.5 mile trips won't create much heat nor much time at heat nor much heat soaking time.

But 1.5 mile trips will mean your battery spends a lot of time way below full charge. And a warm climate will mask the lack of cranking amps.

If you got 3 years out of it, you're ahead of me by a year. In the Southwest desert of Arizona, it averages around 2 Summers, and then they're pretty much on borrowed time. If you are lucky you'll get 3, but that's pushing it.

Now that I'm not working and driving an hour and a half in traffic every day, and the battery on my Jeep is not located under the hood, I suspect it will last a bit longer. But the battery on my new 2018 Toyota is both small, and cooks under the hood. So I'm guessing it's going to be a 2 Summer model like the one in my truck.

You said:

"So instead of blaming poorly made batteries, and their labels, one should understand the lead acid battery always wants to be fully charged, and kept cool. This ideal is of course impossible, but the maintenance minded Bitogers should know that their vehicles charging system will likely never be able to actually fully charge the battery, and take steps to insure that the battery is fully charged by other means."

So I assume you use a trickle charger from time to time. How often do you perform a full charge and which charger do you use. Thank you for your lengthy informative post.

Yep I had a rash of battery failures last year. Two flooded, one optima redtop. Dead cell in less than 3 years. Luckily they were replaced under warranty for free.

My Diehard Plat is still going strong after 5 years.

Upgrading to group 35 is well worth it. Did it this winter after the 51R froze in the Accord in my sig (apartment life- they were plowing the parking lot and it had to be moved from the lot to the street- didn't leave it running long enough to recharge.) It's a pretty simple retrofit- you don't need to even swap out the tray. Lose the plastic box the 51R is in, buy a universal hold down kit and you're good to go. Did it in 15 minutes on the street with snow falling and a windchill of -20.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
We have had a rash of dead / dying batteries here in Northwest Florida lately. I blame the heat
cool.gif
Anyway, over the last 2 days or so the Accord in my sig has been slow to start. I figured the first slow start was just a fluke or maybe a result of too many short trips, however each subsequent start was also slow, and getting slower. Until last night when I started it and it BARELY turned over. I drove straight home to remove the battery and head to Walmart, thankfully it was covered under the 3 year replacement deal.

In the batteries defense it does see some "severe" use. Work is about a mile and a half away, and the Accord doesn't see too much time on the highway. I suppose the heat plus the short trips were just too much for it. Anyway, I am glad it died before the warranty ran out. I swapped it out no problem at Walmart and went happily on my way.

These 51R batteries have been criticized for being too small for the Accord, maybe next time I'll try and upgrade to the Accord V6 battery.

Florida heat. Living in the Sunshine State has its price.

The Costco Kirkland brand batteries 100 month batteries were better than the new Costco Interstate batteries. Here in the frozen north the Interstates lasted the full but shorter 42 months warranty. I will give them that. . But as soon as the warranty was over I switched the one on my Corolla with a new Duracell (East Penn) from Sam’s Club. I got 6-7 years from the old Kirkland batteries. My wife’s Costco Interstate was weak last winter 6 months before the warranty ended.

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
Yep I had a rash of battery failures last year. Two flooded, one optima redtop. Dead cell in less than 3 years. Luckily they were replaced under warranty for free.

My Diehard Plat is still going strong after 5 years.

The Optima Red Top in my Suburban has a date code of 2004. I realize I am on borrowed time, but I want to see how this saga ends
smile.gif

I second the part about getting a really good battery charger and using it.

I bought a Diehard Gold battery charger/starter on wheels and a handle, like a dolly, when a K-Mart bought out by Sears went out of business maybe 8 years ago. It charges at 12 Volts at 2 amps, 10 amps, 50 amps, and 250 amps starting current setting. Also does 50 amps at 6 volts. It is a manual timer a spring operated timer. These are better than the automatic chargers in my opinion. The thing is a beast. They were marled half price $180 down to 90 bucks. I believe they were made by Schumacher -- you can get something very similar for $250 now.

Best $90 I ever spent. The jumper setting alone is worth it. It will start a dead battery V8 truck in below zero weather. But the real use is I keep the battery topped off and charge the cars when a family member is not using them. Also the Kubota diesel tractor I have had for 17 years and drive it in 15 below zero in the winter. The Kubota is old school too -- when the key is "off" the tractor draws no current. But every few months I top off the battery. The original battery and first replacement lasted 7 years each.

Originally Posted By: wdn
I second the part about getting a really good battery charger and using it.

I bought a Diehard Gold battery charger/starter on wheels and a handle, like a dolly, when a K-Mart bought out by Sears went out of business maybe 8 years ago. It charges at 12 Volts at 2 amps, 10 amps, 50 amps, and 250 amps starting current setting. Also does 50 amps at 6 volts. It is a manual timer a spring operated timer. These are better than the automatic chargers in my opinion. The thing is a beast. They were marled half price $180 down to 90 bucks. I believe they were made by Schumacher -- you can get something very similar for $250 now.

Best $90 I ever spent. The jumper setting alone is worth it. It will start a dead battery V8 truck in below zero weather. But the real use is I keep the battery topped off and charge the cars when a family member is not using them. Also the Kubota diesel tractor I have had for 17 years and drive it in 15 below zero in the winter. The Kubota is old school too -- when the key is "off" the tractor draws no current. But every few months I top off the battery. The original battery and first replacement lasted 7 years each.

I recall a time not so long ago when a name brand battery would outlast it's warranty. Extreme hot temps. Extreme cold temps. Stop-n-go driving, etc, etc, etc. And with little to no maintenance to speak of. Across the board, it didn't matter. In my experience, this was more the case than not. Now, today, it would appear there has been a shift and many are noticing it. Is it a certain manufacture making cheap batteries? Is it that the last remaining primary lead smelter in the U.S. was shut down by EPA regulations so now batteries are made with recycled lead instead of fresh virgin lead? Don't know? But that is a sad state of events when one feels the need to invest in trickle chargers, battery chargers, whatever, and constantly be fussing around and nursing their batteries. I've used jumper cables more in the last few years than my whole life combined. It would sure be nice to know what is going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back