Best "Cheap" Handgun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Something like a Witness or Taurus 92 or Smith 5906 is infinitely more interesting to me than, say, a police trade-in Glock 17.

Find a nice 5906 or similar.

Originally Posted By: Toros
The Taurus PT 111 G2 is under $200 and is reliable as [censored] with a 13 rd. capacity.

I've never seen the PT111 G2 under $200 ... must have been some super deal/rebate going on there.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I've never seen the PT111 G2 under $200 ... must have been some super deal/rebate going on there.

That model isn't in the current catalog, but what I suspect is its replacement, the G2C, is at Palmetto State Armory for 199.99 with free shipping.

Originally Posted By: George Bynum

That model isn't in the current catalog, but what I suspect is its replacement, the G2C, is at Palmetto State Armory for 199.99 with free shipping.

MSRP is $317 on the G2C ... so finding one for under $200 is a very good price. They're probably making $10~20 on the deal especially if shipping is free.

Kahr CT9 or CW9 or the short CM9. I found the longer handle CT45ACP for $309 last year. Good deals on the internet and what a terrific gun for so little money.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Kahr CT9 or CW9 or the short CM9. I found the longer handle CT45ACP for $309 last year. Good deals on the internet and what a terrific gun for so little money.

I like the trigger on the Kahrs.

Wish they’d make a double stack magazine pistol.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Here you go. Get em' while they're hot!

https://www.cdnnsports.com/s-w-m-p-9mm-no-thumb-safety.html#.W37yx7fn93E

Nice!
thumbsup2.gif

I am of the opinion that the CZ copies (Witness) are not a good choice for defensive use. Are they reliable? Yes. Are they cheap? Yes. They lack a decocker and are thus patently unsafe, in my opinion. Every time you load it, you have to physically lower the hammer with your thumb. There is no built in way for the pistol to lower the hammer, safely. Just one guys opinion. Other people are perfectly fine lowering the hammer on a live round. I think if you do it enough times in 20 years, you are going to have an accident at least once.

Those Smith & Wesson M&P pistols, new in the box, for $299 after rebate above, are a STEAL! That is absolutely a good deal on a world class defensive pistol.

My car guns are Smith & Wesson SD9VE 9MM pistols. They are sold almost year round for $259 to $269 online, and honestly, based on everything I've seen out there, you wont find a better budget defensive pistol for the price (other than the $299 M&P above). They are 100% reliable, designed by copying the Glock design. The trigger on the new ones is about 8 pounds, and much better than the 13-14 pound triggers on the older Sigma models.

If I was looking for a car gun, the M&P or SD9VE would be at the top of the list.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Walther has manufactured semi-automatic pistols for a long time.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/walther-creed-9mm.html

Walther doesn't make the Creed pistol. The pistols are actually made by a toy manufacturer. Hence the extreme cheap price. They are not real Wwalthers, and the price (and reputation) shows it.

Agreed. ..and they look it too.

Originally Posted By: E150GT

S&W sigma

The current production models under S&W such as the SD9VE or SD9 are not associated with the Sigma nomenclature, Smith dropped that name around 2010-2011 when they merged the then SW (Sigma) series with the colored grip frame SD series, and made the SD9VE, which was more SD than Sigma. It finally got a better trigger, although still pretty awful. Basically lost the colored frame and slide coating. It was just the SD9VE/SD40VE in the lineup for along time, but interesting enough they just brought back the SD series with colored frames again.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The current production models under S&W such as the SD9VE or SD9 are not associated with the Sigma nomenclature, Smith dropped that name around 2010-2011 when they merged the then SW (Sigma) series with the colored grip frame SD series, and made the SD9VE, which was more SD than Sigma.

S&W dropping Sigma is the equivalent of McDonnell Douglas dropping the DC-10 for the MD-11.

Originally Posted By: George Bynum

Had to find what the changes were between the PT111 G2 and the new G2C.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
My short list would look something like this for around $300.

High cap;
S&W SD9VE
Ruger Security 9

Lower cap;
Ruger EC9S/LC9S
Shield
Taurus G2C

Problem with that list is, every one of those pistols is generic, boring, and bland, IMHO.

This purchase won't just be an appliance for me; I'll also take it to the range from time to time.

I already have 3 Glocks (20, 32, 36). Not really interested in another striker-fired pistol at this time, although that M&P somebody posted for $300 is mighty tempting. Might get one just to throw in the safe, maybe give away as a gift or something, eventually.

I think I'll probably end up with the Witness P.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Not entirely sure what you’re trying to hint at...

dangerous-states-2018-in-america-map.png

I can certainly see why OP would desire a vehicle gun in addition to CCW.

Unfortunately the prevalence of property crime may not make vehicular stowage prudent.
NJ residents agree with me too. NJ is consistently at the top of the list of states hemorrhaging residents.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Not entirely sure what you’re trying to hint at...

dangerous-states-2018-in-america-map.png

I can certainly see why OP would desire a vehicle gun in addition to CCW.

Unfortunately the prevalence of property crime may not make vehicular stowage prudent.
NJ residents agree with me too. NJ is consistently at the top of the list of states hemorrhaging residents.

Yet again, not sure what you’re trying to get at.

Escaping high costs of living is different than being high on property and violent crime, driving the need for firearms on one’s person and in the vehicle.

Not salient to this discussion.

TN has pretty high violent and personal crime. That drives the OP’s question. Provide useful information or don’t post. Not dofficult...

Stop posting your antigun drivel. If someone wants to carry a gun it's none of your business. I suspect a lot of your posts are simply jealousy because you aren't able to do these things.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back