Distant acquaintance probing for personal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Distant acquaintance probing for personal information.
smirk.gif

Has a person you know just as an acquaintance try and be nosy and probe for personal info ?

Example:

Hi Dave, haven't seen you in a long time. What's new ?

Me: Same ole...

Anything new and exciting ?

Me: Not really...

So what's going on ?

Me: Not much...

The conversation goes on and you really don't want to be rude but at the same time you are really not in the mood to give any personal details of what you got going on in your life.
smile.gif
This happens to me every 6 months and I end up for 10 minutes having a conversation about nothing.

If it is being done by phone, just block the number. If it is by email just delete it or mark the letter as spam. You have no obligation to speak or correspond to anyone unless of course , you wish to.

Wouldn't call that probing for personal information, just small talk that beats discussion about the weather.

You may not be talkative and they are trying to draw you out.
I've known people like that and it is a struggle to talk to them.
I no longer try. It's just too hard. But this may not be the case.

You must be the strong silent type.

I'd simply ask him/her the same questions. My bet is he/she wants to tell you all about their life. And I'd bet "all in."

That's not really a probe for personal information, asking how you are and what's going on. Maybe they're just trying to reconnect, or maybe they're trying to steal your retirement accounts.

For those kind of inquiries I give them a quick, non-detailed review of the past period of time that I haven't seen them, then ask THEM how THEY are doing in the same manner. Quid Pro Quo.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
smirk.gif

Has a person you know just as an acquaintance try and be nosy and probe for personal info ?

Example:

So what's going on ?

The conversation goes on and you really don't want to be rude but at the same time you are really not in the mood to give any personal details of what you got going on in your life.
smile.gif
This happens to me every 6 months and I end up for 10 minutes having a conversation about nothing.

I just went thru similar with an ex-girlfriend from 1969-1970. When she started asking me questions about the old gang we hung around with, I-then reminded her of the night we were going to elope and I froze - sorta' chickened out. We were both 18 years old back then.
I then told her I sometimes feel a regret for not eloping and still have strong feelings for her.

I haven't heard from her since. It's been about two weeks since our last email exchange. Last week I deleted our 4-5 email exchanges and also her email address.
Sayonara ''once again'' Sandy.

She may have freaked out in my last email, when I told here about her dead son and how his anniversary was arriving August 7th. I then told her the other son's name and mentioned the two grandkids.

She has no idea I'm a Medium in real life. So I may have scared her off.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
smirk.gif

Example:

So what's going on ?

smile.gif

I just went thru similar with an ex-girlfriend from 1969-1970. When she started asking me questions about the old gang we hung around with, I-then reminded her of the night we were going to elope and I froze - sorta' chickened out. We were both 18 years old back then.
I then told her I sometimes feel a regret for not eloping and still have strong feelings for her.

I haven't heard from her since. It's been about two weeks since our last email exchange. Last week I deleted our 4-5 email exchanges and also her email address.
Sayonara ''once again'' Sandy.

She may have freaked out in my last email, when I told here about her dead son and how his anniversary was arriving August 7th. I then told her the other son's name and mentioned the two grandkids.

She has no idea I'm a Medium in real life. So I may have scared her off.

I don't see how that would scare her.......
frown.gif
OMG

Just start getting real technical about group II, III, IV motor oil and HOAT vs OAT V GOAT antifreeze.

Tearolators, OCODS, long windied stories that never have a true ending that just ramble on and on.

The calls will stop soon enough.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Wouldn't call that probing for personal information, just small talk that beats discussion about the weather.

Yeah, just change the topic and start talking about other deep subjects. You can switch to sports, weather, movies, tv shows, etc. People usually like to talk about themselves so you can usually flip it back by asking them the same and then ask probing questions to keep it going.

Last time I was talking to a random person, I somehow switched it over to the heat death of the universe. A couple other people jumped in so it got interesting for a little while. Next time I think I'm going to try and squeeze in quantum entanglement.

Yeah, I was waiting for the "What's your SSN and bank account number?".

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Yeah or maybe they're a spy for some foreign government and they're just practicing their trade craft.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Yeah or maybe they're a spy for some foreign government and they're just practicing their trade craft.

It only works for hot female spys.
grin2.gif

I had a very friendly fellow call me the other day. He sounded to me like he might be from the exotic country of India. Anyway, he wanted all sorts of personal information. He sounded like such a sincere fellow, that I didn't hesitate to give him all the personal information he asked for. I sure hope he calls again, he was quite the conversationalist...

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
She may have freaked out in my last email, when I told here about her dead son and how his anniversary was arriving August 7th. I then told her the other son's name and mentioned the two grandkids. She has no idea I'm a Medium in real life. So I may have scared her off.

You could find that out on the Internet. It doesn't require information from, "beyond the grave".

I find it strange that people I was friends with at one time couldn't bother staying in touch with me over the years, then all of a sudden they want to be friends on FB. It's like, now that there's a more convenient way to be friends, they're good with it...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZZman
Some look for excitement thru others. So tell us all about yourself Mr. Nice.

Sure, what would you like to know ?

Some distance people like to sniff and sniff for personal info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back