06 Impala P225/60R16 tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car in title is wife's work car. Needs a set of tires. 90% highway miles. We live in WI so we have snow/slush/ice in winter, though the state does a great job at over using salt.

Car only has 65k miles, so I dont have a problem spending money on "top of the line" tires.

Order of importance for me is: Rain performance, winter performance, and treadlife. Not to concerned with noise and comfort, as long as its not ridiculous. She has radio set at 3/4 volume most of time anyway.

I havent had a passenger car that I needed to buy new tires for in many years. Always had trucks. The reviews on Tire Rack, Discount tire, etc, are all over the place. But most give reviews on tires they only had for 10k or less miles.

Thanks!!

225/60-16

You're using one set of tires year-round and you get winter, then you may wish to use an all-season tire with the 3-peak snow sign, such as:
Toyo Celsius
Nokian WRG4
Goodyear Weatherready
Vredestein Quatrac 5

be realistic!! you NEED 2 sets of tyres for safety, a set aka 4 narrower REAL snow tyres with xtra weight in the trunk, then a set of 4 of whatever you like all season but winter tyres. discount tire mounts + balances + ships free tyre + wheels purchased together, use steel wheels for winter + get a cheap but decent set of alloys for summer or another set of steel wheels. for many years i drove a lot of miles for construction work with nice older rear drive cars, they vary as some are light in the rear to begin with + a posi rear makes a BIG difference. older cars are simpler + cheap to fix + have style that is lacking in todays hi tech econobox cars!!!

just looked up your car OPS FWD in that case its 4 SNOW tyres for safe winter driving again narrower is better. you say 16" rims so go to 15" + minus tyre sizing aka taller sidewall 70 series or so matching the OE diameter. 15" wheels + tyres are cheaper as well but if the car is good in snow you can "get by" with all season but winter tyres but in your area 4 SNOW tyres are best as all season tyres begin to get stiff @ 45F + worse in colder temps!! i ran 4 mich snow tyres on my 01 jetta FWD, good in rain + still ok in the summer as i "burned them up" when they were not suitable for next winter in Pa. the thing with real snow tyres is faster wear in the warmer temps + blizzak's are noted to literally melt away in summer heat but are the best in cold + snow!!

Originally Posted By: Srt20
Im am not buying winter tires.

I am looking for all season tires.

Haven't run all seasons in the winter in quite a while. When I was a teenager my dad ran Michelin Symmetry in 225/60r16 on a Crown Vic. They worked OK but I put some BFG Traction T/A (the H speed rated model) on there eventually and that made a huge difference. Once people move past the snow tires, I'll be curious to see whats recommended.

That said, I'm a HUGE fan of snow tires. Ran on a dedicated set of wheels, overall cost isn't significantly more although up-front cost is. And you get the benefit of turning a potentially difficult, stressful of downright dangerous drive into a JOY. I've run snows on my Mustangs/Firebird/etc multiple winters before getting my truck a few years ago and never had any troubles. Even was able to... lets say arrive at destination first against a AWD subie one blizzardy winter night on some deserted highway.

Get something with a firm sidewall, help the car handle a little better. I've put about 6k on a low mileage 08 Impala LT this summer. I would be frightened to do an evasive maneuver in this car with the newer Good Year Integrity tires on it. I think my Yukon handles better.

My advice, spend the money on Michelins.

Continental TrueContact, or the new Tour version. Might consider going to 215/65R16, to get a tad better winter performance and more sidewall. Also that size is made in USA.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp...#RatingsReviews

Might want to see what deals DTD has for Labor Day. (Up till recently, the DTD holiday sales could not be beat. This year that seems to be less true.) I am quite happy with the old-version TrueContacts on my Corolla, though they will never see 90K miles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back