fumoto oil valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the other options I would still say the Fumoto is better. There is no extra piece to keep around for oil changes, I throw the tubing away between uses rather than have oily tubing laying around or have to clean it. They work like a good old fashioned ball valve - reliable and easy, but only with human hands.

They don't pay me anything I just think they make a really nice quality and useful product. Doesn't scare me at all. I don't even use the plastic clip but they also sell a rubber cover for the nipple. If you used this you would have 3 different safeties against opening.

Wow, been using them since 1992 on multiple vehicles, never with a clamp or anything to prevent the lever from opening, never had an issue. In fact, ran over a concrete median once and shaved the nipple off of one, never opened and continued to function for years. To some degree it depends on where the lever mechanism ends up facing after install, at least for the older version of this valve. New cars often have a cover under the pan to prevent opening as well. Had one on my 1992 Camry for 20 years, oldest current one has been on the car since 2009.

No one that criticizes these valves talk about the numerous issues with drain plugs in general, stripped plugs from multiple changes, or leaking plugs or plugs that fall out and cause failure etc. Always a one sided issue but it is all anecdotal evidence. IMO they are a great product built like a tank.

Last edited:
I knew a guy whose uncle's girlfriend's dog walker ran over a bee and the valve shot off of his monster truck and caused a seventy-nine car pile up. I think l'll pass.

Originally Posted By: TheLawnRanger
I knew a guy whose uncle's girlfriend's dog walker ran over a bee and the valve shot off of his monster truck and caused a seventy-nine car pile up. I think l'll pass.

I'll add that to my list of reasons for now using one.
wink.gif

It's 17 days after my last post in this thread. My neighbor's oil change interval is now HALF OVER.

I can tell you the Fumoto isn't dripping which was the complaint back in the '70's. I don't know if they were even called Fumoto then.

Materials (the plastic which cradles the ball) has improved since.

In my neighbor's case, a 2010 Honda Accord 4 cyl., the pan threads were stripped.

His oil pan affords completely "protective contours". That is to say the installed Fumoto is completely within the pan's shadow viewed from behind.

A Fumoto on my car, a 2007 Volvo 2.435 5 cyl., would extend below the bottom most dimension of the pan so it's a NO GO for me.

Just gotta be careful with the intelligent rocks and bees and you're OK...In a way, I actually feel safer with a ball valve on the pan than I do with a standard oil plug because I've had plugs leak...but in the years I've used a Fumoto, I've never had a leak or an issue.

I can always appreciate someone saying that their plug location isn't ideal for a Fumoto, but not someone telling me they're a waste of money and their dog walker lost an engine when they ran over a pile of rock salt. No one disputes they're not ideal for everyone's application or use...but in my case, a Fumoto instantly fixed a situation with a problem plug location and I was so happy with it I continued to use them. To a large degree, common sense will tell you if there are potential problems in your using one versus the difference between something that will take your oil pan out anyway if it gets up there whether you have a Fumoto or a standard plug. In a lot of cases, it's more about the susceptibility in general versus the plug ( Fumoto or standard ) specifically.

I've had a Fumoto valve on my 2002 Silverado since I got it new back in 2001 and 181k miles and no issues.

I like it because I like to change my oil as soon as I get off the interstate while the engine is nice and warm. Keeps from burning my hand with oil.

I'd love to see somebody that isn't a first time poster (and never again) who just signed up tell us how a Fumoto valve ever caused a problem...anybody?

And for that matter, back to the OP, where are the pictures? Don't tell me you don't have a digital camera in 2018.

Originally Posted By: OilFilters
I'd love to see somebody that isn't a first time poster (and never again) who just signed up tell us how a Fumoto valve ever caused a problem...anybody?

You may be in for a long wait.

I have Fumoto on two cars.Both are more or less protected
from impact.On the Toyota's that have been in the family
the drain plugs are at the rear of the pan and pointing
down at an angle \ and aren't well protected.
So out of fear they don't get a Fumoto.

Here's are two "hang-on" questions regarding the Fumoto valve.

Does it take a long time for the oil to drain? The opening is smaller than the oil pan's drain plug hole.

With hot oil does opening the oil filler cap help flow?

Kira,
I am sure the use of a Fumoto slows down the rate of
flow out of a drain.And an open oil filler cap can
only help!
Note:
I removed a Fumoto from a Ridgeline to put it on a newer Ridgeline.
I would say less than an ounce of old oil was in the pan.
I would love to put them on two Toyotas in the family fleet.
But they would be sticking out like a sore thumb.And I dont want to
take a chance .

I just saw this thread and ordered the Fumoto Valve for my 2017 Chevy Equinox. I had them on all my cars for a long time.

Isn't there a model that's designed so it would be really, really hard to open "on it's own"?

Originally Posted By: CT8
It is not that hard to turn a wrench.

It's not that hard to roll down a window either...people still spend a lot of money on power windows. The Fumoto valve just makes life easier, the chances of it breaking or opening when it shouldn't are much smaller than many other bad things that could happen to your engine at any given time.

They also work great on vehicles or equipment that are hard to change. There are plenty of engines out there where you really need to add a nipple and a hose to drain without making a mess. Can't do that with just a wrench.

So many people are terrified of the valves...while they let worn out threads on a bolt hold their oil in with a thin fragile gasket.

Sorry that's just a poor analogy. Power windows have what to do with fumoto valves? They don't even share the same risk if you used manual windows instead (as in, none).

Fumoto valves do give convenience but at the possible loss of your engine if something goes wrong. That's a pretty large risk. You won't find many other tools of convenience giving you that kind of risk profile.

Also the last bit, really? People having [censored] drain plug situations doesn't justify the use of a Fumoto valve so I fail to see the point since it doesn't affect a decision either way. Both Fumoto valves and regular drain plugs thread in, except the drain plug lacks the entire accidental dumping risk entirely. There's a clear winner there from the risk perspective and a clear winner there from the convenience category. Nobody should ever conflate the two. If you're looking for less risk, go with regular plug, if you're looking for convenience, go with Fumoto. You may not however try to argue that the Fumoto is as safe as a regular plug but more convenient, that's physically impossible since one is a valve and the other isn't. "I think it won't leak because of this clip or its good location" isn't good enough either.

The fact that they even made various lock out devices to address the issue tells you all you need to know about it. It's convenience at increased risk.

Originally Posted By: NoNameJoe
Originally Posted By: CT8
It is not that hard to turn a wrench.

It's not that hard to roll down a window either...people still spend a lot of money on power windows. The Fumoto valve just makes life easier, the chances of it breaking or opening when it shouldn't are much smaller than many other bad things that could happen to your engine at any given time.

They also work great on vehicles or equipment that are hard to change. There are plenty of engines out there where you really need to add a nipple and a hose to drain without making a mess. Can't do that with just a wrench.

So many people are terrified of the valves...while they let worn out threads on a bolt hold their oil in with a thin fragile gasket.

Sorry that's just a poor analogy. Power windows have what to do with fumoto valves? They don't even share the same risk if you used manual windows instead (as in, none).

Fumoto valves do give convenience but at the possible loss of your engine if something goes wrong. That's a pretty large risk. You won't find many other tools of convenience giving you that kind of risk profile.

Also the last bit, really? People having [censored] drain plug situations doesn't justify the use of a Fumoto valve so I fail to see the point since it doesn't affect a decision either way. Both Fumoto valves and regular drain plugs thread in, except the drain plug lacks the entire accidental dumping risk entirely. There's a clear winner there from the risk perspective and a clear winner there from the convenience category. Nobody should ever conflate the two. If you're looking for less risk, go with regular plug, if you're looking for convenience, go with Fumoto. You may not however try to argue that the Fumoto is as safe as a regular plug but more convenient, that's physically impossible since one is a valve and the other isn't. "I think it won't leak because of this clip or its good location" isn't good enough either.

The fact that they even made various lock out devices to address the issue tells you all you need to know about it. It's convenience at increased risk.

thumbsup2.gif

Wish we had statistics, like of those using a Fumoto how many have had valve failures versus those using a plug with plug failures, ie as a percentage of the those in use.

This is a crazy argument as those saying they are unsafe will never use them because of potential risk (hate to see what else they are using in or on their vehicles with the same issues) and those saying it is a freak accident when they do fail.

Either you like them them or you don't, mine, actually do stick out a little but I don't do off road and as I have said before, even a concrete media could not cause mine to break or leak. It is not the convenience that I like, I like not having to play with that washer every time and make sure that plug is tight every time etc. The convenience is just a bonus.

It is like a K&N oiled air filter, you either think they are the greatest or just junk. Why bother arguing over it, neither side will ever be convinced.

Last edited:
I have accumulated almost 2 million kilometers behind the wheel and most of that with a Fumoto valve installed on the oil pan and have had 0 issues. I did have one valve fail on me where the ball wouldn't seal properly and would create a drip from the valve but that's it. Fumoto warrantied the valve and sent me another free of charge.

Last edited:
You are at higher risk of getting AIDS from Charlie Sheen than a true Fumoto valve failure. I do not loose sleep over the fear of Charlie Sheen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back