Cherokee Braking Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nephew has a 99 Cherokee Sport with rear drum brakes. He says when first driving in reverse, brakes grab. After driving a short distance around the block, grabbing stops. I don’t know anything about Jeeps, but it sounds like an issue with the automatic self adjuster. Is this a problem specific to Jeeps? Thanks for any tips or experience to fix this.

If the emergency brake works, put it on right the floor a 5-6 times and see if it's any better. If not then have the brakes adjusted because it sounds like the adjuster might not be set properly or is binding.

I had a 94 Cherokee Sport with rear drums, and for the life of me I can't remember if they adjusted with the emergency brake or not. Never had a problem with them except for a blown wheel cylinder. I did park on a sloped down hill, so parking brake was always used.

Hand adjust and inspect is about all I know to do.

Probably a little rust between the backing plate and shoes, nothing a little clean up and grease won't fix. Pretty common on rear drums to grab the first stop or two of the morning.

Many of the aftermarket self adjusters are lousy and don't work correctly. Mine are the opposite and don't do anything, so I just manually adjust them a few clicks once a year.

They are supposed to adjust when in reverse and applying the brakes (like backing out of a driveway). Gunk and build up (corrosion) also contributes to them not working. I'd pull the drums off and make sure the shoes still have material left and that everything is clean and moves.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Many of the aftermarket self adjusters are lousy and don't work correctly. Mine are the opposite and don't do anything, so I just manually adjust them a few clicks once a year.

They are supposed to adjust when in reverse and applying the brakes (like backing out of a driveway). Gunk and build up (corrosion) also contributes to them not working. I'd pull the drums off and make sure the shoes still have material left and that everything is clean and moves.

Ok, but what would make the brakes grab when you first hit the brakes in reverse? The self adjuster engages and forces shoe against drum momentarily and then shoes center?

Originally Posted By: artbuc

Ok, but what would make the brakes grab when you first hit the brakes in reverse? The self adjuster engages and forces shoe against drum momentarily and then shoes center?

That's how it was explained to me. I'm thinking if the shoes are too far out of adjustment for that to happen it won't do any good anyway. Lots of Cherokee owners do rear disk brake swaps from ZJ Grand Cherokees because the rear drums are so useless.

I've had many Jeeps with those exact rear brakes. A few TJs, a YJ and my current XJ. After a damp night, they will ALWAYS grab on first press. After driving them for 14+ years, I just take off with the parking brake on.

They are NOT adjusted with the parking brake. You need to hit the brakes while going backwards to get the auto adjusters working.

Second - A few years back, I had a topic ranting on how awful drum brakes were. I could not, for the life of me, get the drum brakes on my Cherokee to work. I'd tried numerous hardware kits, to no avail. Nothing would work and they would back off and stop working completely within 4 or 5 applications of the brake pedal.

I did some research and found that most hardware kits come with the wrong length cable. After discovering that, I went out and bought the ONLY hardware kit on the market --- unfortunately, I can't remember which one that was --- that had the right length cable. Since that point, the rear brakes have worked great on my Cherokee.

I was really, really considering swapping rear discs to it. But really wanted to avoid it since it's infrequently driven which would mean I'd be dealing with hung calipers. Plus, there was no easy way to get the parking brake working.

Honestly, once I figured out which hardware kit to buy with the right auto adjuster cable, I have no desire to switch this to rear brakes. My parking brake works fine pointed up or down hill. And even with 33x12.5 tires, it stops great. I can even lock up the rear brakes with 33'' tires.

Since my rant a few years ago, I have really gained an appreciation for them. I go in mud a lot, which wears out the shoes. So usually every 10 months or so I have to throw a new set of shoes on. No big deal. I can change the shoes in 20 minutes on each side with the cheapest rockauto shoes.

Check for brake shoe lining contamination-I have this problem on my GMC-if it sits overnight, ESPECIALLY in wet conditions, the rear drums will lock on the first couple applications, usually in reverse, but sometimes forward too. If I drive off with the parking brake partway applied, or feather the brake pedal on the first couple stops, then they're fine. New rear shoes & turning the drums are on my pre-winter to-do list... And, my XJ Cherokee's rear drums work fine!

Miller88, do your damp brakes grab only in reverse?

Whichever direction I'm traveling when I press the pedal for the first time after a damp night. Both forwards and backwards

agree with above - check to see if there is a brake fluid leak dripping onto the shoes. It will make them extremely grabby when wet/damp.

Originally Posted By: Oily_Thing
Sounds like the return springs are broken?

Wouldn’t that cause the brakes to grab all of the time, not just when applying brakes in reverse the first or second time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back