Snowblower

Status
Not open for further replies.
That time of year again... Thinking it's time for another snowblower. Had a Toro 521 which just wasn't enough. Need something to toss 25' plus, preferably able to move the snow that accumulates at the end of the driveway and is able to toss that 25'. Cars are parked perpendicular to the driveway, and it's 3 cars wide, so it's a bit of a stretch to toss.

Width is not important, as it's not a long driveway. I realize nothing is built the way it used to be, and that I should avoid anything with plastic. That aside, what should I shop? I know Toro likes using Toro-only belts, Ariens is well liked, Sears might no longer exist but all their machines are (likely) built by other companies, after that... ? Will not be seeing pavement, driveway is gravel & dirt.

Am shopping CL so it's more of what can be repaired when it breaks and/or after it is bought.

Just for fun, looked at Home Depot to see what new might run (grand plus). Ariens has a snowblower blower with EFI. Hadn't heard of EFI in this application before.

I have a new (commercial grade) toro and I don't love it. It's just O.k. which is pretty sad for a $ 1400 snow blower. I loved my $698 - MTD/Yardman it was a good tool, but at 25 years it was getting long in the tooth. Maybe the toro is just too big. They are both 28" clearing width,I guess I was used to being able to manhandle the Yardman about.

I would sell the yard man ( 1 season old) for $750.

I think it is a Toro power max HD 828OXE.

Last edited:
Buy the largest you can physically handle. My Toro is 8 years and is no longer made. It's 342cc (11hp) and 28" wide. They cut the model once they stopped using Briggs & Stratton engines. It has auto turn and will throw heavy snow about 40'. I too had a 5hp that struggled in Illinois winters. Takes half the time to do my driveway, pan and sidewalk versus the 5hp.

For fun peek around on this site:

https://www.snowblowersdirect.com/

I think that's what I got. engine has good low end torque. During the slow bits you can throttle way down and thump around like a Harley no hay problema.

when I was looking at the Toro, the HD Simplicity were REALLY something to drool over - -just the Build and Looks.

Simplicity_Signature_Pro_P1524E_896790.jpg

Last edited:
I have a love hate relationship with my Poulan 30", 291cc, which is a stripped down Husqvarna. Overall build quality is nothing fantastic but I beat the snot out of it and it is still going. What I really love hate is the engine. Chinese built LCT. Had two major issues: The line from the primer to the carb rotted out in less than a year, either not fuel proof or really sensitive to ozone. The crank case began to leak, which required it to be split just enough to get some RTV in there. This was apparently a known issue that may be fixed now. Took an hour, nothing really hard to do.

Why I keep it around: -30C and it starts first pull, I never bothered with the electric starter. I cannot stall it out. You can burry it in what ever snow you like and the governor opens up and it will throw snow, throw it far and not stop until you cannot physically push it any further into the snow bank.

Ariens or Toro.

The cheap box store machines are just not worth it. After repairing snowblowers for over 10 years, I have a few favorites that I fix up for family and friends.

1960s-1980s Ariens 24", 32", 36"
1980s-1990s Toros 24", 26", 32", 36"
1980s-1990s John Deere 24", 32"

I usually re-power them with a Predator, Honda, or Briggs w/electric start depending on their price point/needs and add an impeller kit. Price usually comes out to less than box store machines, and they hold up much better.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Ariens or Toro.

The cheap box store machines are just not worth it. After repairing snowblowers for over 10 years, I have a few favorites that I fix up for family and friends.

I usually re-power them with a Predator, Honda, or Briggs w/electric start depending on their price point/needs and add an impeller kit. Price usually comes out to less than box store machines, and they hold up much better.

Thanks. Poking around right now, starting to think I should shop now and pick something up, repower if necessary. Kids go back to school in a week and stuff starts getting fast & busy then.

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Ariens or Toro.

Thanks. Poking around right now, starting to think I should shop now and pick something up, repower if necessary. Kids go back to school in a week and stuff starts getting fast & busy then.

Out of all of them I'd say the older Ariens are the easiest to re-power. They are very simple, parts are everywhere, and many different engines fit. They work well, especially with the impeller kit. They also have a cast iron auger gearbox in the front.

Look at Simplicity and Honda though the latter is pricey.

I would consider an older machine as suggested by JeepMan however not John Deere.

You may want to consider adding an impeller kit to your Toro.

Originally Posted By: JLawrence08648
Look at Simplicity and Honda though the latter is pricey.

I would consider an older machine as suggested by JeepMan however not John Deere.

You may want to consider adding an impeller kit to your Toro.

Toro went to the transfer station. First it lost reverse then first. When I opened it up I realized that one of the pulleys was split--the V belt, under tension, would open it up. Decided it was time to move on. Maybe I should have kept it, done more work on it, but there was also at least one hole through main body around the auger area. Decided it had lived its life.

Although I think its still sitting over there, might be able to sneak it out come winter...

What ever Snow-Thrower you buy, read the Owners Manual.
Follow the Maintenance Schedule and have 'extra' wear parts handy.
Take good care of it and it should last a decent length of time.

I use the Snow-Thrower my Father bought in 1977.
Ariens 24"

Several years ago I took it apart and rebuilt every thing.
New Engine, all new Bearings and Bushings.

Drive Components Disassembled

Last edited:
I would add Simplicity if you can find an old one to repower. Mine is a 560 from ‘85 or so and the chassis is so much beefier than the tubular stuff you see now. Bought it 10 years ago with a split gearcase for $150. About $150 in parts and it was throwing snow. The next year I put a Chonda from HF(now Predator, back then a Greyhound) and it turned into a beast. The old Tec was used up and made no power but 5.5hp is plenty. The pulley mounted right up!

Parts are still available at Simplicity dealers.

The model number means 5hp, 60cm width...because we were switching to the metric system!

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I think that's what I got. engine has good low end torque. During the slow bits you can throttle way down and thump around like a Harley no hay problema.

when I was looking at the Toro, the HD Simplicity were REALLY something to drool over - -just the Build and Looks.

Simplicity_Signature_Pro_P1524E_896790.jpg

Still using a Simplicity HD I got used for $1200 in 2003. It never had broken down and nothing seems to stop it. Arie s, craftsmen , Toro consumer stuff gets destroyed observing neighbors

I echo the recommendations for the Simplicity.

I bought an older, Simplicity 1032 (10 HP Tecumseh, 32" wide) last year for $150 and it has been great. Although it ran and functioned OK when I bought it, I had to rivet the auger housing back together on one side and then I replaced every rubber part (belts, fuel lines, friction disc) except the tires. All of the parts were inexpensive and easily available, easy to install and now this thing rips! It easily throws a foot of snow 30 feet at a decent pace. For about $50 dollars worth of parts and 3 hours of work, this was a very worth while investment. All steel construction, adjustable everything (including the carb) locking wheel hubs, multiple grease zerks and a huge incandescent work light make this machine a shining example of what all heavy duty snow blowers should be.

My mtd I bought at Walmart in 1993 cost me but $28- a Year to run (minus gas, oil and shear pins)

Changed the oil every other year. Never need any repair other than a little sheet metal banging.

Had the Toro dealer take it away. 8Hp snow king still started right up.

I literally had a tear in my eye as they hauled it away.

Originally Posted By: MasterSolenoid
What ever Snow-Thrower you buy, read the Owners Manual.
Follow the Maintenance Schedule and have 'extra' wear parts handy.
Take good care of it and it should last a decent length of time.

I use the Snow-Thrower my Father bought in 1977.
Ariens 24"

Several years ago I took it apart and rebuilt every thing.
New Engine, all new Bearings and Bushings.

Drive Components Disassembled

Great job! Keeping old machines working like you just did warms my heart. Our kids need to be able to see the old iron in action. Well done and I wish that this site had a "like" button.

Well, found an Ariens ST1032 for a decent price. Reseated the tire bead. Tripped a house break trying out the starter (I guess 2.8 ohms is a tad low for the winding, maybe I shoulda checked first). All the gas I put into the tank ran out as the nipple is broken off (and the fuel line is rotted anyhow). Messed with the points, dumped some gas down the spark plug and boy is it loud when it runs.

Have to spend money on a gas tank next, then decide what to do next. Friction wheel is cracked but maybe it'll work for a bit. Still think I should buy something else, maybe a bit smaller. They're saying it's going to be a good winter, but they say that every year.

ariens_st1032.JPG

I have the remains of 4 Ariens 24" Sno Thros I rob parts as needed to keep the Predator powered one going. There is a lot of play on the bushings but I keep stuff greased and it soldiers on. Master Solenoid. How much did you spend on pieces to renovate yours? Supton, You don't dump something until you have its replacement going. Parts is parts on old Tecumsehs.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back