Best "Cheap" Handgun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Is Nashville that unsafe?

For something likely to be bounced around a bit, then blindly grabbed for, I think I’d prefer a da/sa or DAO design.

Is capacity or size more important?

It's definitely gotten worse in the 5 years I've been here. Lots of armed robberies of convenience stores, dollar stores, gas stations, liquor stores, etc, as well as carjackings and home invasions, perpetrated mostly by young males in their late teens.

Just in the past week or so, we've had a woman shot in the back (drive-by shooting) while out walking her dog, a man shot during an apparent robbery attempt, and another man and woman shot and killed during a robbery, as well as another couple who were robbed and, surprisingly, got away with their lives. And they think all these were committed by the same little thugs, who were just arrested:

https://www.wsmv.com/news/police-connect...932f0b54f1.html

Most of these incidents happened either in my general neighborhood (Madison) or in areas I frequent.

But that's not actually the reason I'm looking for a car/truck gun. I've just been looking for the perfect handgun to carry in the car for a while. I bought a Bulgarian Mak a couple of years ago, intending for it to fill this role. But I've determined it's not ideal for my purposes. Not enough mag capacity, and it's better as a collector/range toy.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: Astro14
I would consider a 3rd generation S&W 9mm.

Police turn ins regularly go for about your budget. The 5906 (all stainless) for example, is heavy, durable, reliable, and tough. 15+1 capacity. Police turns ins already have cosmetic holster wear but are generally in great shooting condition with low round counts and clean rifling.

It would be perfect for your application.
I don't think you're getting a 5906 for anywhere around $300. I wouldn't mind picking one of those up for that.

I almost did...I was watching and should've bid on this one, though I've got no need for another 9mm...it would've been the perfect "truck gun"

Police turn ins regularly go for about your budget. The 5906 (all stainless) for example, is heavy, durable, reliable, and tough. 15+1 capacity. Police turns ins already have cosmetic holster wear but are generally in great shooting condition with low round counts and clean rifling.

I don't think you're getting a 5906 for anywhere around $300. I wouldn't mind picking one of those up for that.

I almost did...I was watching and should've bid on this one, though I've got no need for another 9mm...it would've been the perfect "truck gun"

I'll have to keep a eye out. I can't imagine how many rounds or how much abuse it would take to wear out a 5906.

Originally Posted By: billt460

I'll second that. They are built like tanks, and run very well.

My thoughts as well.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

It's definitely gotten worse in the 5 years I've been here. Lots of armed robberies of convenience stores, dollar stores, gas stations, liquor stores, etc, as well as carjackings and home invasions, perpetrated mostly by young males in their late teens.

Most of these incidents happened either in my general neighborhood (Madison) or in areas I frequent.

Bummer. All my visits to Nashville have been positive.

Of course Nashville seems great for someone visiting from NJ.
cool.gif

Of course Nashville seems great for someone visiting from NJ.
cool.gif

Not entirely sure what you’re trying to hint at...

dangerous-states-2018-in-america-map.png

I can certainly see why OP would desire a vehicle gun in addition to CCW.

Unfortunately the prevalence of property crime may not make vehicular stowage prudent.

Not entirely sure what you’re trying to hint at...

dangerous-states-2018-in-america-map.png

I can certainly see why OP would desire a vehicle gun in addition to CCW.

Unfortunately the prevalence of property crime may not make vehicular stowage prudent.
New Mexico is #1 and Illinois is #26?

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
That map means nothing without the parameters used.
If you take out the crime in big cities the map looks totally different.

As was already mentioned the Taurus PT 111 G2. That pistol is hard to beat. Very much under your $300 price point, 12+1 capacity in 9mm, easy to carry if you chose to. A slightly larger pistol for under $300 out the door is the Smith SD9VE. Again, tough to beat as far as bang for your buck, 16+1 in 9mm and NO safety.

I've had a Taurus PT 111 G2 since they came out. It works.

S&W Model 10-3 MPS revolver with 4" barrel loaded with +P FMJHP. Stay with a weapon that has the pinned barrel. You can find decent Model 10 on Guns International.You won't find anything more reliable and safe.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
That map means nothing without the parameters used.
If you take out the crime in big cities the map looks totally different.

Essentially this:

dangerous-states-2018-in-america-graph.png

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
New Mexico is #1 and Illinois is #26?

If you look outside some inner city crime, the rates are much lower.

That said, it effectively defines why I put up the graphic and why hatt’s Post made no sense.

TN (or FL for that matter) have no top tier cities.

Nashville, Miami, etc are not NY, Chicago, LA, Houston, Philly.

Yet those states and metro areas fare better overall.

What was meant as a positive comment about pleasant visits to TN turned into a nonsensical commentary.

Why does it matter? It doesn’t really other than that my eyes are open regarding crime in TN, validated by the OP himself.

The chart just made the case to me, as Id never particularly looked at TN crime.

Texas is surrounded by states in the top 10 , but not in the top 10 itself on that map. That's particularly notable considering the length of the international border in Texas plus Texas having 3 of the top 10 cities by population in the USA (Houston #4, San Antonio #7, and Dallas #9).

Something like a Witness or Taurus 92 or Smith 5906 is infinitely more interesting to me than, say, a police trade-in Glock 17.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back