FOLLOW UP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow up from my last post. This my first oil change on my new 2018 Hyundai Elantra SEL 2.0. I pull into dealership and over to service for scheduled oil change. [censored]? I bought Pennzoil Ultra plat sn plus. Service advisor tells me I cant use it. It will float my gaskets. She Marcy stated Hyundai recommends Synthetic blend QS. Marcy also stated I need to wait at least 3 oil changes before full synthetic can be used. Then said Hyundai recommends QS. She wanted me to know so as no issues if a warranty claim happened. Is this crap true?

Well what do you think? "Float" your gaskets is a good one. What spec does your owner's manual require for the oil? Does the oil carry that spec? If it does, end of story.

Looking back at your previous posts you seem to have a general theme with the concept of using synthetic vs. conventional oils.

Dealer service advisors are safe to ignore.
A Ford one once told my father that having the oil up to the full mark on the dipstick was bad and that he should keep it half way between Min and Max
lol.gif

I would find somewhere else to go. This service advisor is an idiot. Most are. There is no formal training for a service advisor, really the only qualification is that you are able to fog a mirror.

Originally Posted By: Baseball17
I am at my Dads mechanic here Sandusky. He laughed his [censored] off. He is using Napa Gold filter. I hope that is as good as Hyundai dilter. To [censored] mad to stay buy one. Afraid to go there even for warranty work if needed. [censored]

Napa Gold Filters are top notch, great filters. Good choice.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Dealer service advisors are safe to ignore.
A Ford one once told my father that having the oil up to the full mark on the dipstick was bad and that he should keep it half way between Min and Max
lol.gif

Sometimes the full mark is half-way on the dipstick.
You should follow your manual. If it says engine holds five quarts with filter, then put in five quarts. Then, should the dipstick read halfway, then there's your full-mark as a future reminder.

Never judge the full mark by the dipstick. Always judge your contents by the specs in your manual. Dipsticks are mass produced and one may be longer than the one built a week prior.

Also, never decree that a safe zone on the dipstick is the full mark. It's only there for monitoring the volume. Sure, it may be safe to add another half quart or quart to the top of the safe zone, but doing-so is not recommended.

Just a week ago you couldn't type out crap here.
So thank the ownership here and me
smile.gif

I have floated a few gaskets in my life- not pretty.
And the dealers wonder why nobody wants to go in for service!

OP,

Which dealership is this? I'd like to call to get advise...see what they tell me.

Originally Posted By: Baseball17
... Service advisor tells me I cant use it. It will float my gaskets. She Marcy stated Hyundai recommends Synthetic blend QS. Marcy also stated I need to wait at least 3 oil changes before full synthetic can be used...

crackmeup2.gif

So I guess the synthetic in the blend is ok but full synthetic floats gaskets? Good thing that conventional in the blend is holding back that unruly synthetic part of the blend.

I dumped the Factory fill in my Santa Fe at 300km and went full synthetic at that point forward with no gasket problems or oil consumption for that matter until a camshaft snapped on me at 535,000km. I guess I should have used conventional the first 3 changes and my camshaft would still be with us.

Last edited:
"Floating gaskets"??? Yet another reason to change your own oil. You should get paid to listen to junk like that!

I had a local garage, (ARCO station), back in the 70's tell me after they came to jump my old flooded Plymouth wagon, that I needed to drive it to their station, and have an immediate oil change done..... Or else the engine could EXPLODE! The guy got P.O.'d at me, because it was really freezing cold out, and I had snot running out of my nose from laughing so hard.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
You should have asked her if the Veeblefetzer valve would be affected as well.

Great point...but...
Only if the Dilithium Crystal Stabilizer is touched. But it's unlikely since she advises 6W-25 be used in a semi-conventional blend.

It's this kinda stuff that is the reason I do my own oil changes even though our new vehicle gets free dealer oil changes. I don't trust em. They will find a way to screw up the simplest task.

Case in point, my wife took the new vehicle in for a 3k miles tire rotation. They got the air pressure different between driver side and passenger side. Also lost a valve stem cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back