BMW N55 and B58 Technical Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am curios to see how long this coating will last in real world operation. What they say on page 19 seems to confirm what I was saying, that start/stop engines without it will show increased wear on the bearings.
Personally I wouldn't touch this engine for a few years not only because of the coating but also the PAI binder they are using, this wouldn't be the first time BMW has had a material failure fiasco. Wait and see, I guess.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I am curios to see how long this coating will last in real world operation. What they say on page 19 seems to confirm what I was saying, that start/stop engines without it will show increased wear on the bearings.
Personally I wouldn't touch this engine for a few years not only because of the coating but also the PAI binder they are using, this wouldn't be the first time BMW has had a material failure fiasco. Wait and see, I guess.

Wait-n-see will probably be last year of production, but even then 8 years might not be long enough.

Last edited:
The N55 has proven to be very reliable; I'm not too inclined to go with the B58 just yet. In any case, if I replace my 2er with another BMW it will be an M2 or M2C, so again, the B58 issue is moot.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
The N55 has proven to be very reliable; I'm not too inclined to go with the B58 just yet. In any case, if I replace my 2er with another BMW it will be an M2 or M2C, so again, the B58 issue is moot.

Of course, then you get to worry about spun crank hubs (S55) ! *joking*.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back