Mazda Skyactiv revolutionises internal combustion engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
The big change here is not GDI, it is the high compression ratio and the homogeneous charge ignition. Doing this reliably is the key.

There will be major issues if they keep pushing the use of 87 octane with these... I'm betting this will certainly force the issue of using 91 octane minimum.

When Mazda released the skyactiv x prototype it is slightly different that the conceptual model.

It has a supercharger that is electric powered, it needs one to work.

Originally Posted By: weasley
The big change here is not GDI, it is the high compression ratio and the homogeneous charge ignition. Doing this reliably is the key.

It's not really homogeneous charge ignition. It's stratified charge. Mazda finally faced facts and gave up on HCCI because it was impractical. They have added spark to control the start of combustion, and stratified charge in the region of the spark plug so that the flame will propagate through the leaner charge in the rest of the chamber. According to the video, there is a homogeneous charge of 37:1 throughout the chamber, and a direct injector is used to make a charge stratification of 27:1 in the region of the plug right before it sparks. I think Mazda has done a great job in thinking outside the box, trying to bridge the gap between Otto and Diesel combustion. They would have had to figure out whole new methods of engine control to make it seamless to customers in all driving modes.

Mazda has done a great job thinking outside the box for sure.
thumbsup2.gif

As a owner of a Mazda I like how smooth the SkyActiv engine runs. It will easily wind up to 5-6000rpm with no effort. The compression ratio is 13:1 on mine and I use Shell V Power 92. I noticed a big jump in response and performance after switching. The engine is very quiet running on 0w20.

Mazda’s SkyActiv initiative was to start with everything new. Engine, transmission and chassis. Getting rid of Ford was the best thing for them.

He didn't quite say it, but is this a torque-y engine like a diesel?
I suspect it is, since he talked about gearing.

Originally Posted By: spackard
He didn't quite say it, but is this a torque-y engine like a diesel?
I suspect it is, since he talked about gearing.

Not quite as a diesel but it’s more than the gasoline version.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I’m wondering to buy a 2018 Mazda 3..... or wait for the SkyActiv X engine with next generation Mazda3.

I would wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back