How much do shops pay for their motor oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My last bill was $14.29/gal for a generic Dexos1 Gen2 approved 0w20. Packaging was in the 6-gal boxes.

They won't sell it to you like that
lol.gif

Any time a shop needed to add a quart without doing an oil change, you get charged full retail price
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: The Critic
My last bill was $14.29/gal for a generic Dexos1 Gen2 approved 0w20. Packaging was in the 6-gal boxes.

That's actually not a very good price, considering generic d1g2 synthetic can go on sale for less than $3/qt (which would be $12/gal) and that's in individual quart bottles, retail
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: KnicksGiants
How much do they pay per quart? And how much could someone buy a certain amount for from them without an oil change?

That's a hard question to answer... it all depends on quantity.

My shop pays around $1.25 per quart for standard house blend semi-synthetic. It's somewhere around $4.25 a quart for Amsoil OE, give or take. Keep in mind we buy different grades of OE by the 55 gallon drum... LOTS of oil. Bulk oil gets delivered by the hundreds of gallons.

*EDIT FOR 500th POST!*

Last edited:
How much do they pay per quart? And how much could someone buy a certain amount for from them without an oil change?

Depends.

As much as you want, if you bring containers.

You'll pay retail.

It ain't cheap.
My brother's shop in Santa Cruz, CA. had a big drum that Chevron filled with 10w30 back in late 80's early 90's.
I forgot exactly but it wasn't much less than O'Reilly's case price per quart.
It was convenient, though. Much faster fills than a quart at a time.

Yeah 14.29 is a bit high for bulk conventional per gallon. I think Walmart brand synthetic is 15 for 1.25 gal. At that rate, you could just clean out Walmart’s shelves to sell synthetics oil changes for your regular service changes.

I have noticed that conventional prices are not that far offf from synthetic even in the same company’s product line. At that point, for suck a small amount of money like $5 over the span of 5-10k miles, the oil pays for itself and then some in mpg, no?

Yeah 14.29 is a bit high for bulk conventional per gallon. I think Walmart brand synthetic is 15 for 1.25 gal. At that rate, you could just clean out Walmart’s shelves to sell synthetics oil changes for your regular service changes.

I think the part most people miss about Walmart pricing is that you still have to go to Walmart to get the oil and it costs a business time and money to do so. I'm guess at that price, it's delivered. Maybe if oil were cheaper from Amazon it'd make sense.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
I think the part most people miss about Walmart pricing is that you still have to go to Walmart to get the oil and it costs a business time and money to do so. I'm guess at that price, it's delivered. Maybe if oil were cheaper from Amazon it'd make sense.

Walmart has free shipping over $35, and a shop would definitely have more than $35 worth of oil on hand. It is also something that can be ordered well in advance, with predictable volumes, since oil change is a routine service they do all the time, so a shop would always have oil in stock.

Not all shops do oil changes all day long. We dont. I pay $1.90/qt for proline oil from pep boys. Recently a customer requested Pennzoil high milage oil. I can't take 1.5 hrs out of my day to go chase oil @ Walmart 35 minutes away 1 way. Cheapest I found it was $33/5qts from autozone.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Not all shops do oil changes all day long. We dont. I pay $1.90/qt for proline oil from pep boys. Recently a customer requested Pennzoil high milage oil. I can't take 1.5 hrs out of my day to go chase oil @ Walmart 35 minutes away 1 way. Cheapest I found it was $33/5qts from autozone.

Wouldn't it be better to tell said customer to bring in the oil themselves?

My bet is shops don't get much cheaper discount (not qualify for or have the time to do rebates or price shop), but they want it delivered for free and have consistency, and vendors that back them up if things go wrong.

I have noticed that conventional prices are not that far offf from synthetic even in the same company’s product line. At that point, for suck a small amount of money like $5 over the span of 5-10k miles, the oil pays for itself and then some in mpg, no?

You're asking from the perspective of "shops". Shops get none of that benefit and 99% of customers won't notice the minor increase in MPG, if there is any, from using synthetic, and then 'credit' the shop that changed their oil.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
Originally Posted By: Chris142

Wouldn't it be better to tell said customer to bring in the oil themselves?

Yes it would, but customers just want to drop off and let the shop deal with it. I have said it before but we have people who drop off and specifically want Mobil 1. Well OReilys and Autozone charge us $9.49/qt even with our shop discount.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Yes it would, but customers just want to drop off and let the shop deal with it. I have said it before but we have people who drop off and specifically want Mobil 1. Well OReilys and Autozone charge us $9.49/qt even with our shop discount.

Just curious, if you told them you don't have Mobil 1 "available" (not false), will they walk (drive) away ?

$9.50/quart ! Too bad Walmart doesn't deliver ! I know prices vary by area, but $9.50/quart is the same price I can walk in off the street and pay. So much for AZ or OR's "free" delivery.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

Just curious, if you told them you don't have Mobil 1 "available" (not false), will they walk (drive) away ?

$9.50/quart ! Too bad Walmart doesn't deliver ! I know prices vary by area, but $9.50/quart is the same price I can walk in off the street and pay. So much for AZ or OR's "free" delivery.
wink.gif

I work in parts, so we get to clean up when a writer tells a customer they can wait when they drop off their Mercedes for an oil change at a Ford/Mazda dealer (happens a few times a week). That being said if someone walks into parts and asks about Mobil 1 or whatever synthetic they want that isn't Motorcraft, I tell them their best bet is to do what I do and go buy it at Costco or Wal-Mart and leave it on the passenger seat when they drop the car off.

The national chains that don't really cater to shops like AutoZone, Oreillys, etc charge shops the same they charge walk-in customers but have an artificial list price on the invoice.

In checking at OReilly's site for shops, my cost on a quart of Mobil 1 0W40 is $9.99 and their MSRP/list price is $16.93/qt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back