Best "Cheap" Handgun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about something less than $300 to use as a car/truck gun. Reliability is #1. Would like something with good capacity. It wouldn't be carried often; it would mostly stay in the safe or in the car or truck. I'd probably get a holster so I could carry it if I wanted to.

Looking at the EAA Witness P (I've seen for as low as $276). CZ-based, 16+1, and has a good rep. For the money, this is the best I've seen.

Other ideas?

I would look for a used glock. My old Shield was also purchased new for approx 300 (S&W had a rebate at the time)

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
I picked up a Walther 9 for less than 3.

That's interesting. What model and where did you get it?

At the gun show this weekend one vendor had new Ruger Security 9 pistols for $275 . Glock 19 size, 15+1. They can be found for $299 without looking hard. If I had $300 to spend on a pistol that would get a hard look. Haven't heard a bad thing about them. Security 9

I haven't seen a $300 Glock in a while (but not really looking).

Used glocks can be had for round $300.

New options include the Ruger pistols, the EAA pistols, the Walther Creed, S&W SD9 and a few others thrown in there. If it were me, I would check the Ruger Security 9, SR-9 or the S&W SD9. I have seen them as low $275 on some websites. The Taurus pistols are cheap but I have never had good luck with them and do not recommend them at all.

Here are some deals from the shooting store. They are pretty neat because they are no shipping or transfer fees. You could find prices even lower elsewhere but here are some examples:

https://www.theshootingstore.com/single-product?product_id=218564&ref=shop

https://www.theshootingstore.com/single-product?product_id=214334&ref=shop

Is Nashville that unsafe?

For something likely to be bounced around a bit, then blindly grabbed for, I think I’d prefer a da/sa or DAO design.

Is capacity or size more important?

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

It's a Creed. From either Buds or CDNN Sports. Online. I don't recall which.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
It's a Creed. From either Buds or CDNN Sports. Online. I don't recall which.
CDNN most likely; currently $269.99.

I would consider a 3rd generation S&W 9mm.

Police turn ins regularly go for about your budget. The 5906 (all stainless) for example, is heavy, durable, reliable, and tough. 15+1 capacity. Police turns ins already have cosmetic holster wear but are generally in great shooting condition with low round counts and clean rifling.

It would be perfect for your application.

Those SAR 9mms are routinely $279 at CDNN. The Taurus PT 111 G2 is under $200 and is reliable as [censored] with a 13 rd. capacity.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14

Police turn ins regularly go for about your budget. The 5906 (all stainless) for example, is heavy, durable, reliable, and tough. 15+1 capacity. Police turns ins already have cosmetic holster wear but are generally in great shooting condition with low round counts and clean rifling.

I'll second that. They are built like tanks, and run very well.

I vote Taurus, some of the most affordable pistols on the market, made with all Beretta tooling, lifetime warranty and excellent performance!

I own 3 and have surprised many guys at the range with them, shoots right there with Glocks, S&W's and Walthers all day!

Originally Posted By: Astro14

I don't think you're getting a 5906 for anywhere around $300. I wouldn't mind picking one of those up for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back