Is Speedway Killing Mobil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Speedway does have a rep for squeezing out the competition in the Midwest. They also like to randomly jump their price by 30 cents overnight.
That's the Greedway we know and love HATE-beware 10 AM on Tuesday & Thursday morning, they'll jack up the price of their ethanol overdosed vehicle urine by 40-50 cents/gallon for no reason. Then the race is on to buy it somewhere else before the other stations all match them. This is their glory season, too-from now 'till Memorial Day it'll go up by a DOLLAR.

Yep, Speedway is the local price setter so when their locations raise prices it's wise to buy fuel from others before they match Speedway's prices.

That's historically been the pattern of QT in St. Louis although it seems to be lessening a bit. Even brought on an AG's investigation about a decade ago. At least QT is top tier.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
I think all Mobil stations are jobbers, like Exxon & Marathon (no company ownned stations). Speedway is the opposite. Speedway is not having an effect directly anyway in my area due to complete lack of retail presence. That may change with the MPC buyout of Andeavor (former Tesoro).

You can almost make book that that is going to happen. That's why they bought them:

https://csnews.com/how-marathon-petroleum-andeavor-merger-will-create-retail-marketing-powerhouse

there is top tier + there is topest tier!!! recently read on this forum about the xtra additive % used, shell my fav + exxon mobil were highest 20% range, citgo also advertising top tier on there pumps was only 6%, kinda like % of real synthetics in a blend are very hard to verify!!

Nice eye candy, but no more than that unless we know how the product samples were obtained as well as how many of each were sampled and tested as well as the testing methods used.
If these were one-off tests, then they don't really mean anything.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
We have Corp Mobil stations out here ...
laugh.gif

That would be really interesting if true considering they were all sold 10 years ago.

I found the internet business journals full of articles saying just this … and in the Houston area ~ both Exxon and Mobil pumps are the Synergy branded gas …

Nice eye candy, but no more than that unless we know how the product samples were obtained as well as how many of each were sampled and tested as well as the testing methods used.

Those are also somewhat aged, given that both Citgo and Marathon have been blessed by the "Top Tier" Gods.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
We have Corp Mobil stations out here ...
laugh.gif

That would be really interesting if true considering they were all sold 10 years ago.

I found the internet business journals full of articles saying just this … and in the Houston area ~ both Exxon and Mobil pumps are the Synergy branded gas …

The same with Mobil gas in my area.

Also, in many cases, the station "name" is just licensed and the owner/operator can purchase fuel from any supplier. A BP station isn't necessarily selling BP gas, just like a Marathon station isn't selling Marathon gas.

Not true. This is the reason XOM advertises "marker molecules" as part of its additive package, an easy way to check the underground storage tanks of a station suspected of not honoring its jobber agreement to sell branded gasoline with that brand's additive package. Marathon has its own "marker molecules" as well, these have been used for decades in the industry, although not publicized until the XOM rollout of Synergy. Branded gasoline additive packages have specific identifiable "tracers" specific to each brand.

FWIW, the gums data table presented in this thread predates either Marathon or Citgo joining the Top Tier program.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tdbo
Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
I think all Mobil stations are jobbers, like Exxon & Marathon (no company ownned stations). Speedway is the opposite. Speedway is not having an effect directly anyway in my area due to complete lack of retail presence. That may change with the MPC buyout of Andeavor (former Tesoro).

Thete are no Tesoro tetail stations in my atea either, so doubtful this will directly affect my area. However plans are to rebrand existing Tesoro branded stations as Marathon brand.
You can almost make book that that is going to happen. That's why they bought them:

https://csnews.com/how-marathon-petroleum-andeavor-merger-will-create-retail-marketing-powerhouse

No Tesoro retail in my area, but Marathon plans to rebrand corporaye owned Tesoro retail stations as Speedway, and Tesoro jobber stations as Marathon, except for ARCO brand stations.

http://www.cspdailynews.com/mergers-acqu...ndeavor-s-sites

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Is Speedway Killing Mobil......I just stopped into a Mobil Gas Station and immediately had to come to a stop and move slowly thru all of the pot holes... it was ridiculous. Then while pumping gas I also noticed the overhead structure was deteriorating. I always thought of Mobil having Top Tier gas and stations that were in top shape. Are these stations independently owned and get a cut from Mobil to sell there gas or how does that work?

It's supposed to be all about the gas quality and Mobil gas is better quality - better cleaners / stronger cleaners than STP additive Speedway. Most of the Mobil & Speedway stations near Detroit are only 5-10 cents apart. My vehicles notice the difference in performance and gas mileage.

There are 3-4 (at least) better than Speedway...... Mobil/Exxon, BP, Shell and even Marathon. Speedway is a generic spin-off of Marathon..... weaker version.

Speedway doesn't set the price here for other stations shell does that in my area since they are all owned by a small company in my area. everybody's gas is always cheaper than speedways by 10-15 cents.

The Speedway downtown is great. I use it when I'm traveling east and the no name kiosk when west bound. Neither one is worth a left turn against traffic.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back