Spark Plug replacement for Honda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any difference between a NGK BPR5ES and BPR6ES sparkplug? My lawnmower, Honda, had a BPR6ES but Home Depot had the BPR5ES used in Harmony mowers. I guess the 5 is hotter than the 6.
dunno.gif

Yes- On NGK's, the lower the number, the hotter the plug.
Stop by NAPA and get a 4 pack of the correct plug. That'll be a 24 year supply
tongue.gif

Thanks Bill, you are right about the years, the one I have now has been in about 6 years.
cheers.gif

As a side note, I also have a 5.5 Honda and when it came time to change plugs, I was given a Champion plug instead of a NGK. The mower did not run right and eventually shut itself off. I then went to the local NAPA store and found the right plug. On this Honda, the make of the plug makes a huge difference in performance.

Over the years (40+) that I've "messed" with engines, I've come to the conclusion to use the same brand and type as originally installed, assuming the engine runs normally.
I might try a hotter plug for an oil burner etc.

We have a handful of small Honda engines and in 2002 I bought new plugs for all of them. Because many are very old, it was impossible to find all the plugs locally but sparkplug.com had them all.
smile.gif

--- Bror Jace

Thanks to everyone, found one at Advance Auto Parts, 1.67. Not bad for the next 6 years. Runs like new
lol.gif

For best results and longterm durability in all conditions use the same brand and heat range plug that Honda shipped with the motor. This is especially true of the newer leaner running phase II emissions motors.

Definetly stick with the NGK. I replaced my
Rototiller spark plug Champion J19LM in a B&S
5 HP with the NGK BR2LM and the tiller starts
on the first or 2nd pull every time. Used to
take 5 or 6 pulls even when new. Champion spark
plugs are garbadge as I have seen them come
apart in engines before

The 6 is a super hot plug, going to a 5 unless you are going to be using it in 40 degree or more of colder tempratures would not be recomended. A hotter plug needs less gas to run right, and that makes it even hotter.
Believe me, Honda has a huge R&D department and they fully test everything they sell. Use what is recomended, unless you are putting together an hybrid of mixed models Redneck style.

Remember.... You can rarely in the new engines out guess their engineers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back