ATP AT-205 How does it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This stuff is crazy good at fixing leaks in old engines. It also seems to reduce oil consumption itself a high mileage old car with worn ring seals.

It also seems to help fix some rubber bushing issues according to some youtube videos if you spray it on there. Does it just melt rubber seals and then allow them to reform?

If so, how is it at all safe to use for an entire oil change duration? It seems like it would remove material and cause the rubber to fail? Is it additive to the rubber at all? Just curious how this works.

I was debating on using it on my GF's 2006 Z4 which has relatively low miles, 55k. Just an extremely minor leak but I'm curious if using it as a preventative works at all.

I don't know what the effect on the oil might be, but it is pure glycol ether, so it penetrates and swells the rubber.

Originally Posted By: FlyPenFly
If it does that, are the effects still in place after you change your oil?

I see as a chemical to eke another 10,000 miles out of engine before it goes to car heaven; not as something to affect a permanent fix.

I see it going one of three ways:

1. A miraculous permanent fix.
2. A temporary fix that allows you to drive the vehicle another 6 to 12 months.
3. Catastrophic failure.

Yeah, I would expect it to stay in place for some time. It probably leeches out of the elastomer over time, but I wouldn't expect it to happen too rapidly.

Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist

Yeah, I would expect it to stay in place for some time. It probably leeches out of the elastomer over time, but I wouldn't expect it to happen too rapidly.

Interesting, so is it actually an additive product that goes into seals and adds material?

I was debating on using it on my GF's 2006 Z4 which has relatively low miles, 55k. Just an extremely minor leak but I'm curious if using it as a preventative works at all.

Leaking from where?

Originally Posted By: Leo99

I see as a chemical to eke another 10,000 miles out of engine before it goes to car heaven; not as something to affect a permanent fix.

3. Catastrophic failure.

My car leaks a small amount of oil and if someone gave me a bottle I would throw it in. What are the consequences? Hypothetical future oil leaks?

Originally Posted By: maxdustington

3. Catastrophic failure.

My car leaks a small amount of oil and if someone gave me a bottle I would throw it in. What are the consequences? Hypothetical future oil leaks?

I'm afraid it could take a small oil leak and make it a large oil leak. The devil you know vs the devil you don't know...

I don't think it'll take a small leak to make it a big one. I don't see how that could happen with this product.

Interesting, so is it actually an additive product that goes into seals and adds material?

It adds itself to the seal I suppose. Elastomers are "porous" to some degree and certain things can penetrate the elastomer and fill the "pores". This causes swell them to swell. Other materials can "pull" the material that was already present in the "pores" and cause them to shrink. Both types often compromise the seal and break down the rubber over the long run though.

It adds itself to the seal I suppose. Elastomers are "porous" to some degree and certain things can penetrate the elastomer and fill the "pores". This causes swell them to swell. Other materials can "pull" the material that was already present in the "pores" and cause them to shrink. Both types often compromise the seal and break down the rubber over the long run though.

I would imagine engine flushes are the type that pulls stuff out of elastomers?

Strong solvents often can. It just depends on the compatibility of the two materials. Pairing different types of rubber/plastic with solvents and oils is done very carefully in my industry.

It depends on the source of leaks, if it valve seals, I dont think this will help for long.
However if just transmission oil seal, this may work well. I have tried on my gearbox that suddenly leaks after recent seal change, and it holds well for few years.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington

3. Catastrophic failure.

I'm afraid it could take a small oil leak and make it a large oil leak. The devil you know vs the devil you don't know...
\

That's my biggest fear also with these types of seal swellers. I just as soon pass on using it and try to find and fix the leak.
If the engine is almost dead and the stuff is a Hail Mary they go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back