How to fix oil leak from thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I have a sandwich oil filter plate that I use for oil temp and pressure sensors.

One of the sensors is leaking oil from where it threads into the sandwich plate.

What would be the best thing to use to fix this?
I was thinking either silicone sealant for oil or plumbers tape?

Originally Posted By: Spetz
Hi guys,

I have a sandwich oil filter plate that I use for oil temp and pressure sensors.

One of the sensors is leaking oil from where it threads into the sandwich plate.

What would be the best thing to use to fix this?
I was thinking either silicone sealant for oil or plumbers tape?

I have usually found that Teflon Tape seals the best in regards to NPT threads, involving liquids of most any type. Wrap it tightly, and in several layers.

Permatex Form-a-gasket #2 states that it can be used on threaded fittings. I have used it successfully a few times. But, reading the TDS of all these thread sealants reveals that most of them recommend 4 to 24 hours setting time before put back in use. That makes me wonder if the teflon tape might be the better alternative?

+1 for Teflon tape. It is very important that wrap the fitting correctly. I recommend that you look it up. There are several types of Teflon tape depending on the use, the most common is white or yellow (for gas fittings) the yellow is a bit thicker, you may want to give that a try. One last thing, did the sensors already have thread lock added? Its usually a dark red "paint" If you put Teflon tape on top of it it may be causing leaks.

Forget RTV sealants on threads.

You will find specialized sealants for threads. Used often by Subaru for dealer diff gearoil servicing. Teflon tape should work too - but not BOTH.

First is your sensor pulling a ground from the threaded connection?

Second is it SAE/Metric threads with a gasket? Or NPT threads? Teflon tape only goes on NPT threads.

Permatex thread sealant or similar dont use silicone, the non hardening form a gasket would work too. Forget the teflon tape and silicone stuff.

The sensors already came with some white tape (plumber's tape?).

I don't believe they are grounded by the thread as there are 2 wires per sensor.

I'll buy some of that permatex thread sealant

Not the only answer by any stretch. I used that stuff on my air compressor filter fittings and had small leaks all over.
Quality Teflon tape (not the 3 for .99c thin stuff from HD) works very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back