RELIABILITY OF 2 LITER DI/TURBO ENGINES

Status
Not open for further replies.
GUYS:

Just wondering what you think the reliability will be (long term use) of the new 2 liter DI/Turbo engines that produce a lot of power (255 HP, 273 torque)? They sound great, small engine, good gas mileage, great power, etc, but will they hold up for 200-300K miles? Example: The BMW has 11 to 1 compression ratio, which seems awfully high for a turbo engine.

Thoughts?

JR

Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Honda have been doing them for ages. Toyota thru Daihatsu has been doing 1L turbo-charged engines that are still running and are more than 15 years old.

Europoor engines? I don't think those will hold up. They are sports engines.

Diesel european engines? I think they are good.

Hyundai in sig

6 years (bought in 2012) and 110k miles later...zero issues. Which goes for almost everyone else i know with this tech. Be they domestic or foreign makes.

This TGDi/GDi paranoia is overblown.

The first real high-torque GDIT 4 cylinder was the Mazda 2.3L DISI in 2004. They were pretty reliable, inspired the whole industry and taught us all about LSPI and ignorant tunes. People made a big deal about chain issues when OCIs were neglected and turbo seals leaking on the Borw Warner K04s when thin ILSAC oils were used and engine was shut down hot, but that engine had rock solid machining, metallurgy and design (particularly cooling and lube). That new-on-the-market DISI engine was more reliable than a lot of normal engines at the time that were fraught with head gasket issues, warping, oil burning etc.

So, that was in 2004. I think no one really needs to worry about it now, in 2018. Not saying they're all reliable, but it's already proven that the technology isn't the differentiating factor.

They are ok if you use premium gas and synthetic 5w30 or 40 (HTHS > 3.5 preferred) with regular OCI's.

Problems arise when they try to put 0w20 and regular in a turbo. That combination does NOT work in a turbo, especially a DI turbo TGDI
mad.gif

d1g2 5w30 minimum, dexos2 5w30 or 40 better, A3/B4 even better than that

I believe if you're the original owner do the routine maintenance run the correct oil don't beat the peepee out of the engine it will hold up.

Last edited:
My brother just picked up a 2019 Acura RDX with its turbo DI four cylinder. They indicate premium is preferable and wanting 20 weight oil.

Originally Posted By: jrcowboys
GUYS:
Just wondering what you think the reliability will be (long term use) of the new 2 liter DI/Turbo engines that produce a lot of power (255 HP, 273 torque)? They sound great, small engine, good gas mileage, great power, etc, but will they hold up for 200-300K miles? Example: The BMW has 11 to 1 compression ratio, which seems awfully high for a turbo engine.
Thoughts?
JR

Under ideal conditions with ideal maintenance they would, but under our everyday driving with the average driver's mechanical knowledge not on you nelly !!!

Originally Posted By: wemay
Hyundai in sig

6 years (bought in 2012) and 110k miles later...zero issues. Which goes for almost everyone else i know with this tech. Be they domestic or foreign makes.

I too am a very happy owner even with less miles than you but with lots of power creating modifications (and it sure is FUN).
But to be fair, Kia/Hyundai's 2.0L T-GDI engines have had their own set of issues both in how well they are maintained by their owners (they really, really need OCI of 5K miles or less with a great oil) and how they initially were built at the factory (the bearing journal debris recall of ~2% of certain engines built which caused blown rods, etc.). These engines are known to pop plugs that are too hot a range (screwing the engine) under hard load conditions with inferior gas, create intake valve carbon deposits over a long time frame, etc. There are of coarse good mitigations for all these things which an owner can employ.

Just remember, No technology or manufacture is perfect 100% of the time. BUT, the odds are with you if you use good common sense (a rare thing these days), excellent maintenance habits and trust in reasonable economies of scale when it comes to building these complex machines millions of times by both robots and humans. I'm still a fan!

Being the owner of a Ford Escape 2.0T, I have to agree with the Hyundai/KIA guys. Forget the oil life monitor and change the oil at 5,000 miles. Use a good quality synthetic 5W30 or 5W40. I either run premium gas or non-ethanol 87 octane. The engine performs better and gives better fuel mileage on those two fuels.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Hyundai in sig

I think a lot of Lexus IS250 owners would disagree that the DI carbon problem was overblown. Plenty of pictures on the net, and even Lexus extended the warranty on those engines.

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Honda have been doing them for ages. Toyota thru Daihatsu has been doing 1L turbo-charged engines that are still running and are more than 15 years old.

Europoor engines? I don't think those will hold up. They are sports engines.

Diesel european engines? I think they are good.
Madpc.gif

I agree. I have 152K so far no CB issues. But, I keep it on the highway and it helps having a manual and let it rev pretty high b4 shifting.

I add Gumout PEA multi to crankcase about 1K miles b4 OCI and Gumout PEA every other tankful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back