PS pump pulley recall

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, this is boat related, but I'm hoping to get more insight in this section rather than the boat/ PWC sub forum.

The 'rents recently bought a 2017 Sea Ray with the new Mercury 250 horse 4.5 V6. Apparently the PS system with a solid pump pulley can overheat and potentially catch fire and is therefore being recalled. The fix for this is to replace the solid pump pulley with one that has holes. This fix doesn't seem very.. shall I say adequate?

I felt the pump after a spirited run around the lake and it didn't seem any hotter than the engine. The saving grace is that the boat does have a built in fire extinguisher. LOL.

Having worked a long time in the auto industry, the holes in the pulley might be an easy way to identify the updated part or parts. It makes figuring out if the recall has been performed easy.

"Does the power steering pulley have holes in it?
Yes: Stop
No: Update"

We did all kinds of things that would make a part easier to identify visually, from paint dots to adding a tab on housing that you could see when it was installed. Sometimes we'd go as far as making a new bolt pattern so you couldn't use the wrong part (but even THAT didn't always stop people from trying). My gut feel is that the holes are a secondary thing and there are more substantial changes behind the scenes.

Originally Posted By: SOHCman
Different Diameter? Holes = better cooling properties as it spins?

I doubt it as they'd have to supply a different belt I imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back