Few unopened printer cartridges, where to sell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello folks,

My HP printer went kaput in the middle of a printing process. Now I am left with a lot of cartridges for this printer. Due to the 'performance' of this printer, I am in no mood to buy another inkjet printer.

Now the question, how do I sell off those unopened cartridges (multiple HP 952XL, some 3 color packs, some single color packs)?

I don't like to use Craigslist, because most of the people lowball unreasonably. Plus, I don't want any unknowns at my doorsteps.
I have never sold on ebay, just a buyer. I can list on ebay but I have heard some stories where the buyers claim, they received the defective product (when they don't). Due to ebay's customer satisfaction guarantee, you end up refunding the money. Not only you lose the money but lose product as well.

What is the most reliable/trustworthy method of selling these cartridges off that the buyer gets the deal and the seller doesn't have to worry abt the cheaters?

Most of the times, I use our local freecycling mailing list but the list price of these cartridges is above $400.

Thanks for the ideas, in advance.

There is another type of local selling site called "Let Go". You can give this a try but, I would also list them on Craigslist anyway. All sites have "LOWBALL" buyers looking for "something for nothing", it's just the way it is! Beyond that, IDK!

I think you will have a hard time selling them unless you put them on Ebay and auction them starting at a penny.

On amazon they are going for $30-40 a cartridge (and yes, if you haven't put them into a machine and printed with that ink, I would list them as new). I would sell them there. I have found that the vast majority of buyers on amazon (a while back I made a small amount of cash selling used books) were honest. Just keep in mind that Amazon takes a cut (a percentage of each sale, plus a flat rate off the top), but you will get the lion's share of the sale.

Last edited:
After blowing through 2 HP and 1 Cannon inkjet I had a lot of unused cartridges left over, after going over how to sell them I decided the best thing to do was bin them, which I did.
Bought a Brother color laser and fitted it with high volume cartridges, other than its physical size and weight its perfect.

OP,

Are they really listing for $400, or can they be had for $30-40 like another mentioned. If true $400, list on eBay. You can expect around or less than Amazon value $30-40 if sold on CL.

I always meet CL buyers at a third party location, never an issue.

Originally Posted By: MoneyJohn
Hello folks,

My HP printer went kaput in the middle of a printing process. Now I am left with a lot of cartridges for this printer. Due to the 'performance' of this printer, I am in no mood to buy another inkjet printer.

Now the question, how do I sell off those unopened cartridges (multiple HP 952XL, some 3 color packs, some single color packs)?

I don't like to use Craigslist, because most of the people lowball unreasonably. Plus, I don't want any unknowns at my doorsteps.
I have never sold on ebay, just a buyer. I can list on ebay but I have heard some stories where the buyers claim, they received the defective product (when they don't). Due to ebay's customer satisfaction guarantee, you end up refunding the money. Not only you lose the money but lose product as well.

What is the most reliable/trustworthy method of selling these cartridges off that the buyer gets the deal and the seller doesn't have to worry abt the cheaters?

Most of the times, I use our local freecycling mailing list but the list price of these cartridges is above $400.

Thanks for the ideas, in advance.

Yeah, but you're selling used. Printers themselves aren't that expensive compared to the ink.

I sell quite a bit on Ebay and always ship with tracking. A couple times I had someone claim they didn't receive it and I said "the tracking says you did!" End of story, It is a bit of a risk but I think you should sell on Ebay.

I'd just list them on eBay, condition in listing "used" but put "genuine HP, unused" (put that in the listing title) versus listing "new" since new implies things like warranty as per eBay listing rules.

Long term listing (30 days) with a reasonable start price or no start price and a "Buy It Now" at 50% off (or whatever you feel is appropriate). Dig up HP's documents for the part # and list the compatible printers in the listing. Make it clear they are not refills in the listing information. Buyer pays tracked, insured shipping and note that you will combine shipping if you list individual cartridges. Do it now, inkjet cartridges require heated shipping in winter. If you are willing to do some research you could find out the shipping cost nationwide; listings that include a fixed shipping cost attract more bidders. Put a limit on buyer purchase history (say, no bids for buyers without at least 10 feedback, or whatever) to weed out people new to eBay whom tend to have unreasonable expectations, and note you reserve the right to reject any buyers (check their feedback to vet them).

Do check out more than one shipper (USPS and FedEx Ground tend to be the least expensive, but check UPS while you're at it. Just use a distant Zip Code (Google city hall or an airport to find one) to enter for a shipping destination because they won't spit out a rate without one). Make your listing just factual and don't say anything a shady buyer could hold you to. Take a photo of the items in the open shipping container with and without your packing materials to use as defence if the buyer makes an unreasonable or made up objection. The best shipping packing is double-boxed but it adds weight. Do what you feel is appropriate, some shipping rates for small items don't change unless you move to a higher pound class.

USPS will give you shipping packaging for free, they will even deliver them via the mailman. Rates are less (flat rate box, envelopes) when you use their packaging, so check that when you research costs. You don't have to ship USPS to use their packing materials, so take advantage regardless of how you ship. Other shippers may also offer better rates with their own packing.

I know it's hard to do (I'm terrible at it) but the most successful sellers just get what they can and move on.

Be Leary that the packages have an expiration date printed on them and ensure you are not close. If close that will dictate your price.

These cartridges expiration dates especially HP seem to be quite true and they simply work poorly or not at all once past it.

I used to stock up on sale too, however ran into expiry and broken printers........

I had good experience selling on eBay. I started all my auctions at a penny and always got what I expected.

A few times I got Nigerian scammers winning bids when I was selling laptops, however I just reported them and relisted.

I had bad experience buying from eBay. People misrepresenting items, bad packing, used junk, fake items, revenge feedback, etc.

Craigslist is fine. It also saves you about 15-20% in fees that you would pay to eBay. Try there first.

Facebook has a local classified section. I'd try that as well as Craigslist.

If none of that works, then go ahead and put them up on eBay. Just realize that you are selling used stuff, and will get pennies on the dollar for them, Doesnt matter if you paid $400 for them, you'll likely get $50 or $100 or less for them.

And make sure you list if they are OEM and make sure to list the expiration date, as it matters to folks.

If they are new in package, you might try returning them to the store. Even without a reciept, they might give you full retail price back on a store credit, which is just as good as cash and sure beats selling them for pennies.

I sold a color cartridge on ebay. Buyer had the handle "Webuytoner"!!! They were very concerned that the box not look shop-worn.

I got three figures, too. My old job was just throwing it away b/c it was for an obsolete machine.

I figure even if ebay takes a cut, they open up a world of buyers to me and make it worth it vs selling at a yard sale.

Anything shippable (small-ish) I sell on eBay. Almost never worth the hassle of dealing with people in person on Craigslist. Couldn’t count the number of weekend days I ruined getting no-shows from CL buyers.

After 7 days, money shows up in your account, you print a shipping label from eBay and it’s gone.

Last edited:
Mark what HP printers the cartridges are for and give them to Goodwill. Gone, out of your life. Just did that with about $60 of cartridges for a Canon printer that went south by stripping a gear.
37.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back