Pro Motive PH 241 CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Off of a friends 2010 Ford focus 4 dr. Oil was i believe old jug ST HM 5W20 on clearance from Walmart. 7k on oil and filter

Put another jug of that ST HM 5W20 (old red jug style, WPP made) and TG 3614 in and on. Car has 134,335 miles on it.

Made April 21, 2012 Line "D" 2nd shift in Fayetteville NC
smile.gif

Adam that first picture (white Jug) is that your secret Buttermilk additive?
That filter looks ok and for 7K miles looks pretty clean and not very dark.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Adam that first picture (white Jug) is that your secret Buttermilk additive?
That filter looks ok and for 7K miles looks pretty clean and not very dark.

Haha, Johnny i love your humor
smile.gif

Thats a cat litter jug a friend gave me so it holds used oil.

The Focus does 95% highway like i do as man works with me
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: car51
smile.gif

Pre-Tearolator days.
grin2.gif

Ah yes, and the holed center tube, back when Purolator was still good, I miss those days! Hard to believe the BITOG darling went from the most highly regarded filter around to the worst and most hated filter around!

Originally Posted By: jongies3
Ah yes, and the holed center tube, back when Purolator was still good, I miss those days! Hard to believe the BITOG darling went from the most highly regarded filter around to the worst and most hated filter around!

That's what happens when operational changes take place and quality goes down to the point where problems occur on a regular basis. Bad way to run a company, as reputation for quality is a huge factor in keeping it going and growing.

Originally Posted By: jongies3
Yeah. I used a lot of Purolators (including Kmart version) when I lived only about 35 miles from their factory. I never had media tears back then. One reason that didn't happen so much back then is that we weren't pushing (roughly) the same rate of flow through such tiny filters as are typical nowadays.

Originally Posted By: CR94
I used a lot of Purolators (including Kmart version) when I lived only about 35 miles from their factory. I never had media tears back then. One reason that didn't happen so much back then is that we weren't pushing (roughly) the same rate of flow through such tiny filters as are typical nowadays.

True that less media area means more delta-p if all other delta-p causing factors are constant.

But the filter models that started tearing were never down sized. Brittle media and large pleat spacing near the seam was the problem.

Thanks Adam for the cp.
It did the job but I wouldn't use something like that.
I guess i got spoiled by the Ultras!

In the very old days Pep Boys stocked Puros. Nothing else really.
Of course that was in the 70-80's.

Today I wouldn't use them myself. Even if they go back to the pre- tear days.
Most of my cars now are new and have filters that are so remote that I want
to do 2-3 oci's on them so cheap filters are no savings in my situation.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
... But the filter models that started tearing were never down sized. Brittle media and large pleat spacing near the seam was the problem.
I knew you'd be along with that comment, which is why I said "... one reason ... ." Over its 33 years, I had to keep downsizing filters used on my Mazda, as the older, larger versions disappeared. Unfortunately, I was lazy and didn't cut open the last few Purolators, so don't know whether they tore.

I said true that down sizing does increase delta-p (assuming same media of course), but it won't necessarily tear media unless there are other factors involved. Purolators that tore weren't down sized, but maybe the media changed. That's all I wad pointing out.

If an oil filter is designed right the media should be able to take the delta-p regulated by the bypass valve all day long. I hope those small AC Delco filters with 35 PSI bypass valves have strong media and tight pleat spacing.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: car51
smile.gif

Pre-Tearolator days.
grin2.gif

Sayjac
Purolator did the job in 2012. But today is another different story.

I'm well aware of the date of manufacture, read the entire thread before posting on the topic filter. Since broached though, 'in my observation' of this forum the date of tears starting seems to be a moving target depending on the agenda being promoted with the specific anecdote.

That observation and conclusion is born out in the tear spreadsheet linked. In that sheet at least 20 Purolator filters (labeled and made for) with tears were made in 2012 or before. Could be more since date code manufacture date missing in some entries. And the most commonly posted pic of a torn Puro 14459 at the top of the sheet was made in 2009. So the statement the topic anecdote was made before tears occurred is patently false.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oVZjE_Cmf59Bs5nSF9p4sMBhJaJ3X3Dey7u1asadJ4o/edit#gid=0

That said, except that I was specifically mentioned I wouldn't have commented on it since I view it as pointless. Thus my previous on topic post is all that is relevant 'to me' in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back