VOA Valvoline Synthetic Dexos1 Gen 2 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Kind of surprised at even that level of calcium for a D1 G2 LSPI reduction oriented oil.

The boron, moly (guessing trimer
21.gif
), and titanium can only help for that LSPI 'concerned' spec.

I hope the NOACK is not too high with that Ca level.

Noack is 9.3 for the 5w-30.

https://sharena21.springcm.com/Public/Do...12-ac162d889bd1

I picked up a 5 qt. jug of this last night at WM. I paid $21.57 whereas PP and Castrol Edge were $27. This may become one of my go-to oils for my Colorado.

Most of the oils are using identical addive systems now. Almost all the major brands, including Amsoil, are using Ca/Mg, similar levels of moly and some boron. I was surprised to see Ti in this one. I wonder if the MaxLife FS looks similar? That too is dexos 1 Gen 2 approved.

Update, as of July 18 . MAXLIFE HI MILAGE will no longer be DEXOS compliant per Valvoline Tech ?.Can this be verified ,Thanks

I have been using Valvoline syn power and also the max life full synthetic since I started driving back in 2014. Im actually glad they got rid of the sodium. I have done my own oil analysis and this new formula seems better in my opinion. I really like the Ti they added. I typically always use Valvoline but I have been trying out other oils. I currently have Pennzoil Gold 5W-30 in my Civic.

I will be changing the oil on the vehicle I put this oil into very soon and will send it in for a UOA. I will post the before/after comparison in the UOA section when the results and back.

Originally Posted By: LEADED
Update, as of July 18 . MAXLIFE HI MILAGE will no longer be DEXOS compliant per Valvoline Tech ?.Can this be verified ,Thanks

Are you referring to the Semi-Syn in all weights?

The regular MaxLife blend does not meet dexos 2, however, the full synthetic MaxLife does.

The regular Valvoline Full Synthetic looks good.

Originally Posted By: smithph
The bottle it came out of says "Valvoline Full Synthetic". The words "Modern Engine" do not appear on the bottle.

This went into a 2009 Saturn Vue with the NON-GDI 3.6LT. I plan to have a UOA done once the mileage minder says it is done since this is a somewhat new to me vehicle.

This VOA is an earthquake for Valvoline. They have been known for the Sodium additive package with low metallic content since I started reading BITOG.

It is surprising that the elimination of Sodium and lower Calcium is in the Advanced Synthetic formulation. One would think that the Modern Engine version would be the one formulated for LSPI control. Has anyone posted a VOA of Modern Engine?

Edit: OK, somebody did post a VOA of Modern Engine. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...0_V#Post4705190

It's similar to Advanced Synthetic, but doesn't have Titanium and Boron, and Magnesium is about half.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
You get what you pay for Harman, even thou it's overpriced in my opinion. Modern is definitely beefier than Advanced.

Interesting. Is this based on the viscosity numbers?

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
From the Manufacturer.... where you should be investigating Modern's info currently. Here's five areas covered.
https://team.valvoline.com/diy/product-t...-full-synthetic

Too expensive for my 14-15 year-old vehicles and it's bennies not needed. Plus I've moved away from Valvoline and into Pennzoil and Castrol Syns again.

Thanks for the link. Pretty much consumer oriented information there. I agree it’s expensive but thanks to another member here I picked up a jug for under $20. I won’t complain about that.

Looking past the marketing, I really like the additive package of this oil.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
From the Manufacturer.... where you should be investigating Modern's info currently. Here's five areas covered.
https://team.valvoline.com/diy/prod...-know-about-modern-engine-full-synthetic

Too expensive for my 14-15 year-old vehicles and it's bennies not needed. Plus I've moved away from Valvoline and into Pennzoil and Castrol Syns again.

Thanks for the link. Pretty much consumer oriented information there. I agree its expensive but thanks to another member here I picked up a jug for under $20. I won't complain about that.

Saw Valvoline Advanced at Walmart last week for $22.47 for a 5 qt jug. Not what I'd call expensive for what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back