Looking at a list of beaters! any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, just throwing this out there.

I'm looking at a cheap beater for a second car for us. They're all over the map.

Any advice is appreciated!!

2003 Toyota Echo sedan - 140k miles 5 speed manual for $1200 timing chain

1999 Subaru Legacy wagon (2.2 litre!) 4 speed auto 145k miles $1400

2006 honda civic DX 5 speed manual 125k miles timing chain

2007 chevy cobalt 5 speed manual 110k miles for $2000 timing chain

2000 civic hatchback 130k miles auto....timing belt unknown $1000

All are basically rust free and have been maintained well. All are uncertified, BUT the cobalt and subaru was certified 6 months ago.

the subaru timing belt and water pump has been done and has no head gasket issues at this point.

None have maintenance issues that I can't handle, and parts aren't terrible for any of them.

I like the idea of a gas miser but also 4wD.

Any thoughts? I'm mechanically able, but wanted to throw this out there for some fun.

Thanks!

Ryan

Last edited:
i would look for a 2000- 2003 outback. good styling and easy to work on. parts are cheap and everywhere. plus one of the best awd systems out there

Echo or 2006 Civic. Echo would be ideal if primary use is commuting, Civic if you want more capabilities

If you want a beater you might have to skip the AWD and just get snow tires for it. Does the A/C work on them? That would be my drawbreaker.

Humidity has been brutal here the last few weeks as I'm sure you know, I have appreciated my beater with functional A/C more than ever before.

echo or civic w/chain

My 2003 echo was the most reliable car I have ever owned and it is reported as such by other owners.

Original alternator, PS pump, starter, clutch, not one bad sensor or leak. One unscheduled engine repair the whole life of the car, a coil; 417K miles when i retired it.

"There isn't much to go wrong"

Last edited:
2 Hondas, 1 Toyota, 1, Subaru, 1 Chevy

Not for nothin' but isn't there a convention which'd throw out the Chevy right off the bat? Just asking.

A question is born: Have Chevy products improved recently? Someone said GM took "all of Saab's good tech" and applied it to their cars".

Could that be true?

Originally Posted By: Kira
2 Hondas, 1 Toyota, 1, Subaru, 1 Chevy

Not for nothin' but isn't there a convention which'd throw out the Chevy right off the bat? Just asking.

A question is born: Have Chevy products improved recently? Someone said GM took "all of Saab's good tech" and applied it to their cars".

Could that be true?

Later Saabs were a GM corporate car so I doubt it. Cobalts are just not a competitive option against contemporary imports.

Post-bailout GM is better but they are much better at making trucks, Corvettes and muscle cars.

2006 Civic is in the window for the problem with the engine block cracking or weeping coolant. My wife had one that starting losing coolant through a porous block at just over 100,000 miles. Honda replaced the long block under an extended warranty they issued because of the problem. IIRC the warranty was limited to 8 years from purchase. If you can confirm the block has already been replaced you will be getting a newer rebuilt engine that won't have the problem in the future.

The other problem we had would be apparent upon inspection. The clear coat on these Civics begins to peel after a few years. Again Honda had an extended warranty on the paint for a respray that has already expired for the 2006 year.

Last edited:
My initial thoughts were the subaru, but if that 06 civic is in that range Id consider that as well. You cant really beat the versatility of a wagon w AWD though.

Amazing guys! Thanks for the responses.

It seems like I'm on the right track.

I've added a cavalier to the list but it needs rockers. AC works in all of them afaik.

I'll keep you posted.

My top pick would be the civic. Despite the block issue. I'd figure after 120k and 12 years I'd be leaking or replaced by know.

Echos seem a little cramped under the hood. Would rather have a corolla. Plenty of 98-02 corolla/prizms around. If you hate life you can even get a 3 speed automatic!

I had a neon, even did its timing belt when I got it. A head gasket 5k later disappointed me. Rust that jumped through the paint on the inside rear quarter (where the door latch is) also chafed me. Don't be afraid of timing belts, but do be afraid of Neons.
lol.gif

The cobalt could be good but GM sucks at rustproofing their cheapo cars. Be ready for EVAP issues, brake lines, rockers etc in the not too distant future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back