When History Channel was good

Status
Not open for further replies.
I loved watching "Heavy Metal" series and "Engineering Disasters" and Modern amaryllis way back then. Now I don't watch much tv except ROKU and Columbo and few others

Anyone remember when history channel was good

So true, I used to enjoy pay tv until it started with constant price increases. Modern Marvels is still on Quest which I get off the antenna. I remember Discovery and History but got off the Satellite in 03 which replaced cable in the late 90's. Youtube gets most of my views now. Just got done watching a Titanic documentary. No way would I pay for cable news, espn etc. Junk TV.

Quest is a time machine for 20 year old History / Discovery produced shows. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Heh, I was just a kid when those shows were on. Pretty sure that's about all I watched. Nowadays I can't even watch the channel. Pretty much the only time I watch TV is on Saturday for old MASH reruns...

I love Cable TV. Don't mind spending $135 monthly for my internet, landline phone and 200 stations. Besides, the only free sports on Network TV is the Detroit Lions. The Detroit Pistons, Red Wings and Tigers must all be seen live on Cable.

I tried watching pro sports on pirate viewings. Either the pic or the sound (sometimes both) were very subpar. Plus the pro sports subscriptions thru the franchises would cost me six months of my annual cable bill.

Then-there are several shows I watch, that are not available otherwise. I'm still a fan of shows like the Walking Dead, Bull...... 4-5 more.

Go Wow Cable! I haven't been inside an expensive nearby Movie Theater in 10 years. That's another cost I do not miss. I'd rather watch the movie months-years later.... as first runs to me. I won't even enter any video stores anymore, or rent the movie online. All my movie-watching is free on WOW Cable.

Last edited:
I always like the History’s Mysteries type of shows. The World Wars documentary series was one of my favorites as well. I haven’t had tv service for over a year now so I don’t really watch any channel. When I last was watching it seemed History was trying to show nothing but their own reality shows.

A&E and TLC also used to be respectable back in the day. When A&E was known for that "Biography" show and not just dramatic crap like all other channels, oh the memories.

I used to watch a lot of Military Channel when I was a kid in the early-mid 2000s. I loved the documentaries from the 90s they were better even then.

Watching TV is a nostalgic luxury for me now, it's pretty fun to watch with others though.

EDIT: "First World War" is an awesome documentary that I caught parts of on Military Channel and then subsequently downloaded. Lots of cool footage, images and written accounts.

Last edited:
WARNING: This is a "soft hijack".

What kind of antenna do you guys use for OTA (Over The Air) signals?

BRIEF: For 20 years a friend used rabbit ears plugged into a VHS machine then daisy chained to the TV's coax input.

Stations began dropping away about a month ago. She and her sister (2,000 miles away) decided the TV was going bad so a new one was purchased.

Now she's going up a ladder of antenna complexity and has gotten some of the stations back. The store (Best Buy) encouraged her to buy ever larger ($) antennae and return the smaller ones as she ascends the ladder.

Is there a "new fangled" antenna for todays TV broadcasting?

ps I also remember when A&E ran movies uncut & uninterrupted. Cable just plain stinks.
Who needs MTV (true garbage) or even the Weather Channel. WC's "productions" are fabulously devoid of information and production values.

If you can't get a weather report in 20 seconds now-a-days you are living under a rock.

Originally Posted By: Kira
I also remember when A&E ran movies uncut & uninterrupted. Cable just plain stinks.
Who needs MTV (true garbage) or even the Weather Channel. WC's "productions" are fabulously devoid of information and production values.

MTV is gold, Teen Mom has been one of my fav shows for years. Every time I turn my dad's tv on it's on the weather network!
crackmeup2.gif

Kira said:
WARNING: This is a "soft hijack".

What kind of antenna do you guys use for OTA (Over The Air) signals?

BRIEF: For 20 years a friend used rabbit ears plugged into a VHS machine then daisy chained to the TV's coax input.

Stations began dropping away about a month ago. She and her sister (2,000 miles away) decided the TV was going bad so a new one was purchased.

Now she's going up a ladder of antenna complexity and has gotten some of the stations back. The store (Best Buy) encouraged her to buy ever larger ($) antennae and return the smaller ones as she ascends the ladder.

Been using this antenna for the last 5 yrs and it has served me well, have it mounted on a ten foot pole on the roof. Running the TV's auto scanning it picks well over 100 channels.
https://www.antennasdirect.com/store/DB4e-extended-long-range-outdoor-dtv-antenna.html

Re: Antenna, my stepfather had an old Radio Shack antenna mounted on his roof from the 80's. Beautiful HDTV 50 miles or so from the signal. He did have a motor that turned the antenna to get best reception.

Who wants to watch the History Channel after hearing the history of the channel here?
grin.gif

All channels and genere start great as they can build material and ideas. It takes a lot of talent , money and originality to keep up after they release.

I remember when they were so heavy on German WWII documentaries they were nicknamed The Hitler Channel. Then The Military Channel started.

Tales of the Gun was a good show, and Modern Marvels is one of the best (and as mentioned, is on Quest TV OTA now). Dogfights is also on Quest (or was, I think it is off now).

Discovery and TLC were good back in the day, but nothing good on them anymore (at least that I know of, I have not had cable in 12-13 years). Loved Dirty Jobs and MythBusters.

Someone mentioned MTV, needs to be called DTV now (Drama Television).

I thought Pawn Stars was decent the first few seasons, but then not so much.

Originally Posted By: blupupher

I cant figure out why they call it MTV when they don't play music? Doesn't "MTV" stand for "Music Television?
confused.gif
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: blupupher

I cant figure out why they call it MTV when they don't play music? Doesn't "MTV" stand for "Music Television?
confused.gif
confused2.gif

You can't figure out why MTV Network cannot survive only playing today's awful music video-offerings?
That's funny!
crackmeup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back