BMW K1200S FINAL DRIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks,

OK has anyone figured out how to "VACUUM" the oil out of a BMW Motorcycle Final Drive (Pic attached)
??

There has to be a way of extracting the old oil without having to dismantle virtually everything on the rear end and turn downwards to drain. Have figured out that using two Hydraulic jacks and a piece of pipe through large hole in Diff Hub the bike REAR can be raised high enough to refill with Gear oil.

There has to be an easy way of doing this simple task ?? BTW in case you don't know THERE IS NO BOTTOM DRAIN PLUG !

Cheers and thanks from Marty

Yeah, they are sort of permanent fill systems. Mine was K75 ...

I used a small vacuum pump that I had, and piece of small fuel line into a bottle with two copper tubes soldered into the lid. One to the rear end, and one to the vacuum pump. Was quart Mason jar.

You prolly don't have that stuff ... So I'd look at a Mighty-Vac hand pump. It will take a while, but it will do it
smile.gif

I refilled mine with Redline MTL
smile.gif

Hey thanks guys,

BrocLuno ...... I can make a Vacuum system using a old Home Vacuum cleaner, plastic container and some tubing. What size tubing did you use and how far into the Diff were you able to direct it, right to the bottom ??

Reddy45 ....... seen the procedure videos on Youtube, seems like a lot of completely unnecesary work if all I want to do is replace the Final Drive fluid once in awhile. Vacuum works for me if it can be done effectively.

Don't you have driveshaft splines to lube when you change your FD oil? If you think that's important just drop the rear. If not, and you come up with a good way to suck the oil out, post info about your setup.

Now that's some fine German engineering right there. Looks like a design stunt the Italians would've pulled on my Guzzi, to be honest...

Yeah, but the for the same reasons. they both want the drive shaft to be inspected while in for service ...

I used 1/8" tygon tubing. I got enough out to make me happy. Not all, by any means.

It's not that bad. Spend some time bonding with and wrenching on your bike. I don't know the year of your bike but BMW used to say it was lifetime fluid although no one believed it then or now.
005-L.jpg

Just did this service-- it takes 20min, tops. You also get to grease the drive shaft splines, which are only protected from the elements by the rubber boot. Moly 60 PASTE or equivalent is recommended for that.

UPDATE

Finally got around to giving this a go, my home made vacuum failed to draw out more than about 50% of the oil. Removed the wheel dropped the drive down and drained it all out, man it was [censored] dark n nasty. Like foobar stated it does not take long at all and the splines got a birthday as well. Filled her up using a 200ml syringe and tube with 180ml of 85w-140.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back