Passenger airliner hijacked out of Sea-Tac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BusyLittleShop
Originally Posted By: john_pifer

Helluva road!

Noted with glee John... however Georgia is too far from my home state of California just to get a speeding ticket...

RC45...awesome!

Yeah, no need for you to come all the way down here, already being in Sportbike Paradise!!

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I'd say the dumbing down of America has really gotten really bad in the last 10 years with all the social media and other crap that people read and automatically believe it's true. And I think it's the younger generations glued to social media that are easily fooled by fake info.

While I agree with you that a lot of the younger generation has been O.D.'d on stupidity, and lacks common sense. And social media helps in accelerating all of this. It doesn't exonerate a lot of the older generation from much the same.

Does anyone remember Rosie O'Donnell's comments after 9/11? Where she went on several talk shows claiming that it was our own government that attacked us on 9/11, not Muslim terrorists. Part of the reasoning she based this on was the "fact" as she put it, "Fire can't melt steel". She believes this nonsense to this very day. And no amount of direct evidence will change her mind. Rosie O'Donnell is 56 years old.

I'm sure she thinks this was "faked", along with the Moon landings. There is no age limit on idiots.

1:38 : "For the first time in history, steel was melted by fire. It is physically impossible".

Wow, I didn't know that. Thanks for posting.

Just because one is successful in Hollywood does not mean they are firing on all cylinders.

And don't forget about the most famous aircraft thief of them all, 19 year old Colton Harris Moore. Pretty good navigator, as well as a pilot..... He is currently free on parole.

"He is also suspected of stealing at least five planes — including the aircraft he allegedly lifted in Indiana and flew more than 1,000 miles (1,600 kilometers) to the Bahamas, despite a lack of formal flight training."

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/38189115/ns/wo...s/#.W3g6NLfn93E

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colton_Harris_Moore

Originally Posted By: billt460
While I agree with you that a lot of the younger generation has been O.D.'d on stupidity, and lacks common sense. And social media helps in accelerating all of this. It doesn't exonerate a lot of the older generation from much the same.

Stupidity and impressionism isn't reserved for just the young.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I doubt he could have landed it successfully, even if he had wanted to.

They were trying to talk him into talking to an expert or two to help him land the plane. I think there have been a few instances were someone landed a commercial jet liner by "talking them in" by experts on the plane in the tower, and they made successful landings.

Originally Posted By: BusyLittleShop
Originally Posted By: fdcg27

What if he had simply landed the aircraft and dealt with the legal consequences?

If he got whole mess on the ground in one piece... no one could deny him the right to a pilot log book entry of take off and landing in a Q400...

First solo, no time dual, Canadair Q400 (or Bombardier Dash 8) 1.25 hours. Time in type same, total time same.
How cool would that have been?
Could he have landed the aircraft?
Quite possibly, since if he got to that part with his desktop sim, he would have known how to configure the aircraft, he would have known speeds and pitch, he would have recognized the sight picture and he would have known when to flare.
If he could learn to start the engines, taxi, take off and operate in flight, no reason he couldn't also have learned to land, although I'll concede that landing is more difficult than taking off.
It's really hard for me to accept that he was able to do what he did with no previous flight experience, but that appears to be the case.

You have a whole lot more PIC time than I ever will and you have the skills and quals to have built your C177.
You have also had plenty of exposure to high performance aircraft in the course of you vocation.
Do you think that you could just step into one of these aircraft and fly it?
I know I couldn't.
For all of the guy's inexperience, he did operate this big, fast, heavy aircraft under control for quite a long time.
I find it hard to believe that he had no experience as a pilot.

Without some level of instruction, observation or sim time, it would be impossible to be instantly competent, to step in and fly, as you say. Aircraft specific things need to be known. Could I start and fly it, of course, given enough time to follow the checklist and find switches. Would I? Not a chance, I know my limitations and I am not qualified.

Conversely, our PC-12/47 turboprop is a cinch to operate, and has a far more complex cockpit. I get to fly it occasionally.

Most modern aircraft have somewhat similar start procedures, depending on whether there is an electric starter motor or an air powered starter. And most engines are FADEC (digital engine controls) today, which provide risk free starting and operation.

Some aircraft, like the Gulfstream G650ER, have at least a few "secret handshakes" that prevent unqualified people from ever getting past the engine start. Fly by wire flight controls won't work unless certain things are known. Nor will pressurization, airspeed indication and altitude displays function unless proper procedure is followed. A Gulfstream GIV pilot cannot walk into a G650 and fly it.

How cool would that have been?

Funny he had the nerve to tackle first solo but not the nerve to face life problems...

Could he have landed the aircraft?

No doubt we would be pulling for him...

Plane are expensive,A bullet or drug OD would have saved the airline multi millions of dollars.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Plane are expensive,A bullet or drug OD would have saved the airline multi millions of dollars.

Or you know, not treat your people, that handle and use your expensive and dangerous equipment, like they are a commodity for you to run into the ground.
But I suppose the airline could begin handing out large heroin doses to people that are unhappy with the job, so they can OD.

RIP Richard Russell, the Sky King

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Originally Posted By: CT8

Or you know, not treat your people, that handle and use your expensive and dangerous equipment, like they are a commodity for you to run into the ground.
But I suppose the airline could begin handing out large heroin doses to people that are unhappy with the job, so they can OD.

RIP Richard Russell, the Sky King

Bee ess.

This is a “poor me” attitude.

If you don’t like your position in life, work to improve it.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

Bee ess.

This is a “poor me” attitude.

If you don’t like your position in life, work to improve it.

Boomer posting.
Just go down to the job store and get a new job.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

Unfortunately with the rise of the ULCC, it's not uncommon to see 3rd parties get the contract for baggage handling and other ground duties at the airport. Alaska is in a weird spot between legacy carrier and LCC. Many airports farm out ground service to Swissport and a few others.

Southwest has their own people for baggage and servicing at the airport and they are the model every LCC/ULCC looks up to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back