Who here has/had a Panther?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought it would be fun to see who on here love's Panther platform cars. I've always driven boats, I just find them more enjoyable than little ricers (save my Volt, but that's much heavier than an average compact).

Another member's seat swap thread on his P71 got me thinking.

I'll start:

Looks better in pictures, rust had gotten to it and it had 213k on it when I sold it, but it was solid as could be. I've always wondered if I could some day shoehorn a 32v into a TC with 4.10's. The ultimate sleeper.

Someone did. A dude on one of the Panther forums had a Cobra DOHC engine and 6-speed on a Town Car. IIRC, any of the 2003+ cars will fit the DOHC engine.

Mine is in my sig...about 157,000 miles on it. Former Carroll County NH sheriff's department car.

CKN, where you at?
grin2.gif

I had a 97 MGM in about 2009. Got it for $275 with a bad alternator. Single exhaust, 180 hp, 25 MPG. Handled good with the double wishbone suspension but the seats had no support at all.

mine in signature still going good. Around 197,000 miles now. I did have an issue a month ago on a trip car started missing bad. Took it to a local shop and they said it need plugs and wires. I had just put Autolite plugs in at 130,000 miles and they were bad. Where I bought them at tried to convince me the Autolite was the same as Motorcraft. This mechanic said not the same and wear out sooner. Both were platinum plugs too.

Had a 1988 Town Car,1999 Grand Marquis [with HPP] and 2005 Crown Vic. Put 320K miles on the 2005 Crown Vic and between 150K-200K miles on the others. Had a long commute to work and took a lot of trips from Miami-NYC. All had original power train to the end. Only work for the A/C was needed and it was not major. All still had the original compressor and I left the a/c system on all the time. I just set it and forget it. Everything else was just plain old regular maintenance. All were serviced every 5K miles and all fluids were changed out on schedule. Mostly by the dealer.

There will never be a low maintenance vehicle like the Panthers ever again.

Previously owned a 99 Crown Vic that I beat on and then got tired of messing with the steering gearbox so I sold it. The guy I sold it to drives it a ton and still has it (he comes by work every time he needs oil or whatever)...

Now I have an 07 Crown Vic. Love it!

Crown Vics '85, '86, '88
Grand Marquis '98
Lincoln Continentals '97, '01, '02

The DOHC 32v engine is really nothing special...it's standard in the '96-'02 Continentals at 265-275 hp. But it's a tight squeeze in the engine bay.

I have a 99 MGM I got from my grandmother about 4 years ago. We have put on about 1/3 of the 95k Miles this car has on the odometer.

Was my teen daughter’s car until she saved and bought an Escape. We keep it as a spare car. I drive it a time or so each week now.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
I have a 99 MGM I got from my grandmother about 4 years ago. We have put on about 1/3 of the 95k Miles this car has on the odometer.

Was my teen daughter’s car until she saved and bought an Escape. We keep it as a spare car. I drive it a time or so each week now.

Have you considered selling? I'm trying to talk our daughter into getting rid of her oil burning beat up truck and slipping into a Panther for college!

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
CKN, where you at?
grin2.gif

Yep-they should have used a Crown Vic in the movie "Back to the Future" instead of a Delorean!

Last edited:

Here is mine. A 2007 standard, with several mods, locker, gears, duals with crossover, custom tune, CAI, etc. Fun car for an old guy like me. I rented a crown vic in 1999 for a trip out west, really liked it, so bought a 2000HPP and drove it 150,000. Sold it when I found an 03 Sport with low miles. Drunk driver hit me and totaled the sport. Bought the above 07 three years ago with only 8000 miles on it. I really like the V8 rear wheel drive cars, better than front wheel. I am thinking about going to a forced induction system on it, really wakes up that 2V motor. My wife prefers her Accord, I still love her anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back