Laundering microfiber applicator pads

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdn

Do you wash them? I do. After use I them in a zippered mesh laundry bag before they dry out and put it in a load with microfiber towels. These are the nice ones.

Just wondering if other people launder theirs one or more times and reuse.

I wash the barely dirty ones.. such as used for interior detailing or windows.

not so much ones that have oil,grease,neverseize or brake on em.

Originally Posted By: Rand
I wash the barely dirty ones.. such as used for interior detailing or windows.

not so much ones that have oil,grease,neverseize or brake on em.

Why would a microfiber pad have any of that?

Products used on a car's finish should not be used for anything else.

OP, I throw my pads in a bucket with Dawn and water as they get full. When I'm done I wring them out and wash them with woolite and tumble dry.

I don't "launder" them in the sense that I put them in the laundry machine (because that would gum up the machine or the rest of my clothing in the same cycle or next).

I wash them in the sink or the slop sink.

I find that any kind of wax or protectant makes the foam or microfiber waterproof (like Rain-X) and the water beads off instead of soaking in. To cut that nonsense out quick, I have a spray bottle of water mixed with dish soap and laundry soap, a single spray quickly cuts that surface tension down letting the water soak in. I usually give it a bunch of sprays and massage the soap into it and then rinse it out and let it dry.

Most importantly, don't put them in the drier, unless on the lowest heat setting. All the microfibers fuse together and they are no longer absorbent.

According to the Autogeek site, wash them separately in warm water. Dry in dryer at lowest heat setting or no heat with no dryer sheets. Works great for me. Just don't put any cotton towels in with them.

I worked for a Janitorial Sanitation company here in Canada and we sold high quality industrial microfibers. The manufacturers advice was the following and it's well suited for any type of microfiber.

1) Wash in Warm Water with a detergent only that contains no degreaser.
2) Do not bleach unless bleach rated. Never colour-safe bleach.
3) Do not use fabric softener (this clogs up the microfiber)
4) Wash with other microfibers only to prevent pilling/lint.
5) Rinse
6) Low heat or Air dry.

Last edited:
Good advice. Way too many people treat the things like old underwear. I have a special twine clothesline (a nice Red Green setup if there ever was one) to hang dry mine - the microfibers, not the underwear.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by StevieC
I worked for a Janitorial Sanitation company here in Canada and we sold high quality industrial microfibers. The manufacturers advice was the following and it's well suited for any type of microfiber.

1) Wash in Warm Water with a detergent only that contains no degreaser.
2) Do not bleach unless bleach rated. Never colour-safe bleach.
3) Do not use fabric softener (this clogs up the microfiber)
4) Wash with other microfibers only to prevent pilling/lint.
5) Rinse
6) Low heat or Air dry.

All excellent advise....

...for microfibers...not underwear.

I cycle them onto dirtier tasks (eventually chain cleaning duties) and then bin them.
I usually use new for buffing, after a few buffing uses they are used for drying, after a few drying uses they are good for application, after a few application uses, they get used for cleaning around doors after that they become general purpose rags and then eventually become dirty job rags.
I always rinse out at a minimum after use until they become rags.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back