where to get fuel filter installed for cheap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a $7 fuel filter from Napa. Where can I get it installed for cheap? I stopped by a few shops and they said $50- 80. Yikes. It's for a v6 Mustang 2010.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
DIY

$50 is probably .4 or .5 hours labor, and seems fair for the job.

Exactly what I was thinking .

DIY

I don't think I've paid to have a FF changed. On anything Fuel injected, pull the fuse or relay and run the engine 'til it stalls to de-pressurize. Youtube is your friend.

You just need a quick disconnect tool which NAPA most like sells and you can do it yourself. I know my place would charge at least $50 labor purely for having to lift the car, deactivate the fuel system, changing the filter, and the reactivating the system.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
You just need a quick disconnect tool which NAPA most like sells and you can do it yourself. I know my place would charge at least $50 labor purely for having to lift the car, deactivate the fuel system, changing the filter, and the reactivating the system.

Tool for what? You squeeze them with your fingers and they leak a little then pop right off.

Similar setup like I had on my F150. Just did not have to remove any cover. Easy to do yourself. I did use a quick disconnect tool.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Tool for what? You squeeze them with your fingers and they leak a little then pop right off.

Ahh forgot they switched to that from using the quick disconnect tool setup. They eliminated the fuel filter the next year, mine only has the sock in the tank.

How can I get it cheaper? Ask nicely? combine it with an oil change labor?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ThugStyle

Learn some skills. You'll offend the mechanic by buying the part vs letting him supply it.

Or get a "ghetto mechanic" from craigslist.

Originally Posted By: ThugStyle

Learn to do it yourself or pay for labor. The oil and filter have nothing to do with the fuel filter, so why would he combine labor?

Cheapest option is to leave it alone if the car is running fine.

This guy can't even DIY a fuel filter even with countless info out there. Some shops won't even install customer supplied parts.

Being on a limited budget you try to do your own work, even if it takes a whole day to change a fuel filter.

And stop begging for cheap labor or where to cheap work done. Cuz I'd charge two hrs labor for a 1/2hr job if I come across an ungrateful crybaby.

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
This guy can't even DIY a fuel filter even with countless info out there. Some shops won't even install customer supplied parts.

Being on a limited budget you try to do your own work, even if it takes a whole day to change a fuel filter.

And stop begging for cheap labor or where to cheap work done. Cuz I'd charge two hrs labor for a 1/2hr job if I come across an ungrateful crybaby.

Lol you sound angry. And charging 4x is quite a classy move there.

Originally Posted By: KnicksGiants

Depends on the person's attitude. I've dealt with so much people it's not hard on how they come off on you.

Originally Posted By: KnicksGiants

Depends on the person's attitude. I've dealt with so much people it's not hard on how they come off on you.

so you let them bait you into having no class.

No, I agree with him. There are some customers you don't want. Always begging for freebies, giving bad surveys, or giving grief about payment - start charging more and more until they go away or until the money matches the grief they give you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back