Concrete Driveway Chemical Cleaning Options

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need some recommendations for cleaning a concrete driveway that was poured in 2006. It's about 100' long and needs cleaning to remove the dingy/dark look although I'm not sure what causes this. I don't have pine trees that leave needles nor leaves that cover it but there are some hardwood trees. Of course, it's outside so stuff just gets dirty. I've thought about Wet & Forget but the driveway is not noticeably green so perhaps this isn't the best product. That product is probably better for my composite deck that does turn green in near the north side of the garage that it butts up to.

I would like to stay away from a pressure washer if possible b/c I would probably have to buy a new one. My current one is a hand-me-down Craftsman & the pump needs replacing it seems since only high pressure setting works & then it's like using a pencil to get everything clean. It takes quite a bit of time that I would rather spend on more important matters although I've done this a few times every couple years.

Thank you.

I got 2 jugs of wet and forget for 10$ at costco. Makes 4 gallons of product, it wouldnt hurt to try but id doubt its mold or mildew on your driveway. Id try mean green or a degreaser product or why not just try with a pressure washer and no chemicals first?

You might try bleach if you don't have any grass or plants that you care about killing. I also live in the south and most of what you accumulate that makes the concrete look dark is a combination of dirt and mold/mildew. I've found that the only way to really get it clean is with a pressure washer but don't use the regular spray nozzle. Either borrow/buy/rent one of the rotary concrete cleaning attachments made just for cleaning driveways/patios. And don't worry if your washer only has a high pressure setting. https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DXPA34SC-S...sher+attachment

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
I got 2 jugs of wet and forget for 10$ at costco. Makes 4 gallons of product, it wouldnt hurt to try but id doubt its mold or mildew on your driveway. Id try mean green or a degreaser product or why not just try with a pressure washer and no chemicals first?
I see that you are from Canada so mold and mildew may not be problem up north, but trust me, it is a problem down south. It will even get into asphalt shingles down here if they are not treated a the factory with a mildew preventative. There are business down here that do nothing but house and roof washing to get rid of it.

This guy used 12% Bleach (1/3), water (2/3), and 1/2 cup of detergent/surfactant (such as Gain dishsoap or TSP).

One concern that I failed to mention previously was long term impact. Will pressure washing remove the concrete cap? Chemicals can be too aggressive as well.

Yeah, I've considered the surface cleaners as they would sure do the trick. But I would have to buy a new pressure washer as well to work with it.

You can rent a pressure washer from Home Depot, they have an electric one with a lot of power.

Then pressure wash everything you need while you've got it. Then rent another one in years to come.

Nick,

Yeah I started down the path of renting but wanted to look at other possibilities.

Homie Despot:
Electric, 1400psi, 1.5gpm, $38/day or $27/4-hours
Gas, 2700psi, 2.4gpm, $76/day
Gas, 3500psi, 3.5gpm, $96/day
Surface cleaner, use with 3500psi washer, 20" diameter, $31/day

So, that would be $127/day if I went the surface cleaner route.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
Nick,

Yeah I started down the path of renting but wanted to look at other possibilities.

Homie Despot:
Electric, 1400psi, 1.5gpm, $38/day or $27/4-hours
Gas, 2700psi, 2.4gpm, $76/day
Gas, 3500psi, 3.5gpm, $96/day
Surface cleaner, use with 3500psi washer, 20" diameter, $31/day

So, that would be $127/day if I went the surface cleaner route.
I rented their 1,400 psi electric one a few years ago to clean a swimming pool, then the next year I bought a Ryobi 1600 psi electric pressure washer. While I'm happy with the Ryobi, the one from Home Depot was much better.

I too have sought a way to chemically clean concrete but so far am disappointed in the results. The video warstud posted didn't mention what the guy used. I've mixed up all sorts of concoctions one ga at a time, poured it on dirty concrete, left it for 10min., then hosed off. Very poor results.

Power washing with a rotary nozzle goes quickly. Much faster though with a 12-14" concrete rotary nozzle hood driven by a PW powerfull enough to fully flow it: High flow & pressure.

I'm interested in whatever you discover and I'm also in the humid South where mildew grows into concrete and turns it dark.

Muriatic Acid mixed with water, soak the concrete on a cloudy day and let it sit but not let it dry. Scrubbing lightly with a deck brush and then rinse with water. Concrete is porous when not sealed.

Muriatic acid: 10:1 to 16:1 is about the ratio you want.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sleddriver
I too have sought a way to chemically clean concrete but so far am disappointed in the results. The video warstud posted didn't mention what the guy used. I've mixed up all sorts of concoctions one ga at a time, poured it on dirty concrete, left it for 10min., then hosed off. Very poor results.

Power washing with a rotary nozzle goes quickly. Much faster though with a 12-14" concrete rotary nozzle hood driven by a PW powerfull enough to fully flow it: High flow & pressure.

I'm interested in whatever you discover and I'm also in the humid South where mildew grows into concrete and turns it dark.

Have you used ZEP & Simple Green? What about Wet & Forget?

I would mist with bleach before it rains. Pressure washing seems to take away the protective top layer, making it like a sponge soaking up new stains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back