Do you warn drivers of a speed trap with your headlights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not when the LEO is sitting in a school or construction zone.
On the open road? EVERY time!

Yes. I always do and always will, as long as the person is not speeding too much.

In our neighborhood, the police hide in unimaginable spots. While most are 5 or so above the speed limits due to the nature of the roads, I personally don't think hiding in the areas to catch speeders is a right method. Plus, there is enough evidence now that the police encounter can escalate pretty quickly negatively. I do not want my neighborhood's name attached to such encounters. So I do.

I really liked the system in Sweden. They have cameras all around. Small distance before the camera, you see a road sign that there is a camera ahead. They give you enough chance to slow down. If you don't, the camera will take a picture and the ticket will reach home by the post.
A few years ago, they did an experiment in Stockholm. They warned everyone speeding a little, above that cut-off, they sent the tickets home and those who followed the speed limits randomly selected a winner for a small prize. The driving changed for a while after that experiment.

I use Waze to report. Light flashing has seemed to have lost its meaning around here.

Police and deputies have to be plainly visible in GA and I don't generally like striking the HID's in my Acura, so I usually don't when driving it. When I'm driving the Accord I'm usually headed to work in uniform so I might or might not, but my route and time generally means I never see anyone.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
There's an app for that. If you're dumb enough to just blindly speed without a radar detector and or using an app like Waze to spot and report speed traps, you're an idiot and deserve a ticket.

I would but most people are looking at their phone now anyway so there wouldn't be any point.

...plus I'm usually too concerned with slowing down myself.
grin.gif

I do mostly city driving but sometimes when I get on the highway I certainly enjoy the opportunity and may or may not drive a significant amount over the speed limit. I always have Waze running, and that has saved me many times. I also do report police, construction, accidents, etc. as much as possible to give back to the community. Once or twice yes oncoming people have flashed their lights at me when I'm going ~1.00mph (though they don't do it in the Vic because they assume I'm a cop) and I immediately slowed to the speed limit. Yep, there's a cop.

I have a radar detector in a box in my room somewhere, I'm gonna put it in the Vic - I used to have it in my Suburban. Thing is, it's not that useful since it's one of the cheaper ones (lots of false positives) but it might be handy on the open road.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Eddie
NEVER. I don't want jerks on the road. EEd

+1 nothing worse than some jerk trying to go faster than the rest of us law abiding citizens.

I don't. Why warn people breaking traffic laws. Here is another reason. Officers do warrant checks. You never know who is on the roads with you. In my area, drug dealers rolling with concealed guns have been arrested on traffic stops......and that's in a rural area. Traffic stops can lead to getting bad people off the streets. Just something to think about for those of you who do warn other drivers.

Originally Posted By: JR
Always have and always will. Only because you dont see ambulances and fire trucks on 24/7 patrol, police patrol is harassment in my feelings, so will alway warn people.

harvey

Ensuring order is harassment? Only for those who have no respect for law and order.

All those years we were stuck at 55 MPH ? I did some then … now we are 75 MPH and many need more ? Nope, hope they get a ticket for doing 85 MPH …

Originally Posted By: DevilsRule

Ensuring order is harassment? Only for those who have no respect for law and order.

That would be me- and to think that I presided over traffic court in my county for over two decades.
I'm so ashamed...
19.gif

YES! Especially when they're sitting at the bottom of a hill or immediately after the speed limit drops.

Always have and always will. My Mother and father both had a heavy foot and of course I inherited that as well.

When photo radar came to Ontario many years ago (no longer the case, thankfully) the Gov't at that time said it was a deterrent to help people slow down only, it wasn't a money grab.
crackmeup2.gif

When radio stations started announcing where these cameras were located, the Gov't said that wasn't allowed.
In the radio/medias retort, being as the Gov't said it was to help only, they said they were doing the same thing so the Gov't backed off.

There is/was spots around me that were used primarily as speed trap zones and once the police/city counsel were confronted about these areas by angry citizens, they also backed off and no longer set up these traps.

90% of the laws are written for 10% of the population. If someone is driving like an idiot, then of course I don't flash them, but I think someone going 10 over, depending on the zone/area, or higher in someplace where it is perfectly acceptable to do so, then darn right I'l flash them and let them know everytime.

I'll flash when someone is doing something really stupid, like 45+ in a residential zone, blowing off stop signs, etc. Driving an ex-cop Tahoe, I see some people pay attention, and check up, but still see plenty of idiots behind the wheel, that wouldn't even notice a police car with it's light on, which I don't have, but sometimes wish I did.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back