Instant Karma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I was nearing the middle of an intersection after the light turned green when a 20-something idiot on a bicycle wheeled past on the right, then cut between me and the car in front and made a left turn, not two feet from the front bumper. He was gone before I could honk.

I would have hit him with the left fender and bumper had I not slammed on the brakes and stopped. He sped on up the cross street.

As I started up again, I saw flashing red and blue lights in the mirror. Ha! The SUV immediately behind me turned out to be the cops. They took off after him, siren blaring.

I wanted to turn left at the first opportunity and circle back, but the next intersection was piled up with cars turning left, so I dropped it.

The idiot had to have passed the cops before he passed me but didn't notice or didn't care.

Gee! Maybe the poor guy was blind.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
If you hit him you would likely get sued.

Wrong!
No judge would rule on-behalf of the injured bicyclist traveling on a busy motor road, without the aid or benefit of bicycle paths there.

I saw a guy on Tour de France style bike blow a red light without any concern.

If a vehicle Tboned him he would of been killed. Why not stop at red light with the other 10 cars ???

I've noticed that the true professional cyclist obeys all traffic laws. The other 99% do whatever they want.

A lot of people now are walking across intersections looking down at their phone. Totally oblivious to the rolling tanks that can crush them.

Many moons ago, in my mis-spent youth, an officer pulled me over on my girlfriend's 10 speed. He searched my bike. Almost got me for drunk driving, but let me slide.

I highly doubt he would be found liable if the bike hit him. Just because it is a bike does not mean it is exempt from traffic laws when on the travelled roadway.

Reminds me, maybe 16 or so years ago I was riding the bus to University when this bike blew through a stop sign and cut the bus off. The rider never even looked. The bus slowed some but kept right on the tail of the bike and blaring the horn. The rider again did not even look. Some lady on the bus started chirping at the bus driver as if it was his fault and he did an awesome job of keeping his eyes on the road and simultaneously telling her were to go. God bless that guy!!

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Yes he had what's known in the cycling community as bikers privilege. They wonder why people hate their arse it just doesn't get through to them.

A few years ago the local paper actually let some dimwit write an article purporting to explain why bicyclists should not have to follow the rules of the road. It was encouraging to me to see that a majority of cyclists didn't agree.

Originally Posted By: Onetor
I've noticed that the true professional cyclist obeys all traffic laws. The other 99% do whatever they want.

I was an avid cyclist for decades. Non professional, but absolutely dedicated. I always stopped when required, rode single file, and would always let cars go first. Unlike many riding companions, I never had any issues with angry motorists or tickets from breaking the law. In the end, I had a good result and many others did not.

Last edited:
People get mad at bicyclists and motorcyclists because they get to do things you can't in a car, like go around traffic, split lanes, etc.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
People get mad at bicyclists and motorcyclists because they get to do things you can't in a car, like go around traffic, split lanes, etc.

We can be our own worst enemies at times. I've seen plenty of Old Men in Lycra do knuckleheaded things.

I ride, so I'm pretty critical of both riders and motorists who operate inattentively.

The reality is, the consequences for the cyclist are so much greater and possibly permanent compared to the motorist in any altercation.

Cyclist who blows through an unoccupied 4 way stop at 5am, no big deal, as you are not putting yourself at the head of the line just because you are an OMIL.

Cyclist who blows through a crowded 4 way stop at 5pm, not stopping and waiting his turn like the motorists are doing, because it's too hard for the OMIL to unclip and stop and it's a big deal.

I've seen both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back