Suggestions on Fuel Additive for KIA Optima GDI

Status
Not open for further replies.

plf

Any suggestions on best type/brand of fuel additive to use for 2014 KIA Optima GDI. Thanks

I have been running Techron concentrate in my 2014 Santa Fe, every 7500 miles. Would consider running Regane, but Autozone never had any in stock during their sale last month.

I have run Techron and Regane in my Hyundai GDI. Also CRC intake valve cleaner every 15,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Brian553
CRC intake valve cleaner. once a month.

Only if it is the NA version. I would not use that stuff on a turbocharged engine.

Wemay, most gas stations in our area are NOT top tier. We have lost numerous Exxon and Shell stations only to see them replaced with no-name bargain gas. Took a trip to Lancaster, PA and could not even find a top tier station on the west side of town in the time I was there. All Sheetz and Turkey Hill. The latter was Top Tier until Kroger bought them out and discontinued their involvement. This is becoming more and more of an issue as people don't seem to care what they put in a newer engine. Cheap and the car runs..who cares??

Put a capfull of techron in your tank at every fillup. That about the dosage you are getting at top teir fuel stations.

Originally Posted By: danez_yoda
Put a capfull of techron in your tank at every fillup. That about the dosage you are getting at top teir fuel stations.

You're probably right.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
Wemay, most gas stations in our area are NOT top tier. We have lost numerous Exxon and Shell stations only to see them replaced with no-name bargain gas. Took a trip to Lancaster, PA and could not even find a top tier station on the west side of town in the time I was there. All Sheetz and Turkey Hill. The latter was Top Tier until Kroger bought them out and discontinued their involvement. This is becoming more and more of an issue as people don't seem to care what they put in a newer engine. Cheap and the car runs..who cares??

Costco is Top Tier. And my vehicles have had steady diets of Sheetz gas since the 90's and no ill effects in hundreds of thousands of miles. They sell metric boatloads of gas and it's almost always fresh and a decent price. I always shop price for gas and have not had "bad gas" in a very long time. I've used the majors too and have not noticed a MPG or performance improvement in newer or older vehicles.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

Costco is Top Tier. And my vehicles have had steady diets of Sheetz gas since the 90's and no ill effects in hundreds of thousands of miles. They sell metric boatloads of gas and it's almost always fresh and a decent price. I always shop price for gas and have not had "bad gas" in a very long time. I've used the majors too and have not noticed a MPG or performance improvement in newer or older vehicles.

It's basically a marketing gimmick. Maybe somewhat more relevant these days with direct injection. But in theory, all gas has enough detergents to keep things clean as there's a minimum amount mandated by the EPA. But of course everyone always thinks more is better. All gas for a particular area is basically the same, so you can't say that gas from one brand is "cheaper" than the other when they're all from the same tanker/pipeline. The only difference is the additive package such as the one for Top Tier. The base gas is all the same. "Bad" gas is probably gas from a pump that isn't calibrated so you're getting less gallons than what's on the pump face.

Oh boy, sorry to hear. In that case, I'd run a bottle of any of the cleaners containing PEA once a month or two.

Gummout
Techron
Regane
STP
Redline
CRC

KIA recommends Chevron Techron every 7500k. "KIA" brand fuel system cleaner is simply re bottled Chevron Techron.

Kia/Hyundai recommend Techron every oil change if top tier fuel is not available. If you have top tier fuel near by, you probably don't need to add anything. However, if it's not available or you feel the need to add something, my vote would be for Techron.

The pour-in cleaners are necessary to keep the (expensive) direct injectors clean ... but nothing will touch the back of the intake valves and that is the problem with GDI.

The PCV valve is continually delivering oily vapors to the intake runner. This mist hits the back of the intake vales and bakes on. In a direct injection engine, the fuel spray does NOT wash this off.

A good PEA cleaner in the tank regularly and CRC GDI/Valve/Turbo cleaner through the intake every so often. It's worked for the GDI Veloster in the family and it has 200,000km on it now. (120K miles) It's also a first generation GDI.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
... "Bad" gas is probably gas from a pump that isn't calibrated so you're getting less gallons than what's on the pump face.

That definitely happens. And it seems more common at stations in less affluent neighborhoods where the station owners (including Speedway corporate) doubt the buyers can make a case against them.

The other 'bad' gasoline comes from stations where their underground storage tanks have degenerated so the gasoline is contaminated with water and other uglier things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back