Outdoor vs. Indoor Shooting range

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been on the hunt for some land to make a personal pistol/shotgun range on for the past 3 months. I have looked at 9 properties, and a really attractive plot got into a bidding war this morning. I am pretty disappointed with this latest update.

I have used mostly indoor shooting range sin the past however I prefer the noise reduction of outdoor ranges. I am wondering whether leasing a few acres from local farmers would be a possibility. I have tried looking up options online with minimal success. have any of you had any luck either buying land to shoot on or leasing land?

Thank

All that lead in the ground can't be something a farmer would want in their land.

I have a backyard shooting range in South Florida, as I back up to the Everglades, with a 10 foot berm as a backstop. It's an unusual property for many reasons. Unfortunately, the longest section is 63 yards, if I shoot at an angle. Of course, I could shoot from near the road and get 100+ yards, which I prefer not to do for obvious reasons. I like shooting from behind the house.

It's a lot o fun, but not ideal. Also, it's best not to annoy the neighbors all the time.

Short of purchasing many acres of hilly property, a personal shooting range is never going to match a good professional range for varying distances and safety, along with not annoying anyone.

Out here in the dead of Summer it's just too hot to shoot outdoors. The problem with indoor ranges is it's only 25 yards max. Which means handguns and .22's. The other problem is indoor ranges attract a lot of nit wits. And most out here aren't policed that well by management. They are busy with paying customers buying merchandise in the store. Several of them are under staffed as well. I quit going to them because I got sick and tired of being muzzle swept.

Talk to a lawyer to draw up a lease deal with a Farmer that has underpopulated bottom land. That is how I shoot 1,000 yard precision rifles. and anyone you invite has to sign documents to protect you and the land owner. Also the range has to be well marked at any entrance(and blocked) and has to be inspected for pedestrians.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: billt460
Out here in the dead of Summer it's just too hot to shoot outdoors. The problem with indoor ranges is it's only 25 yards max. Which means handguns and .22's. The other problem is indoor ranges attract a lot of nit wits. And most out here aren't policed that well by management. They are busy with paying customers buying merchandise in the store. Several of them are under staffed as well. I quit going to them because I got sick and tired of being muzzle swept.

There is some truth in that. But please don't think risks can't happen at a backyard range too.

As I mentioned, I have a backyard range. So do my neighbors. A few years back, I found my plastic lawnmower shed perforated by a number of "stray" rounds. I have no idea who did it, but I'm glad I was not retrieving the mower at the time.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

There is some truth in that. But please don't think risks can't happen at a backyard range too. As I mentioned, I have a backyard range. So do my neighbors. A few years back, I found my plastic lawnmower shed perforated by a number of "stray" rounds. I have no idea who did it, but I'm glad I was not retrieving the mower at the time.

True. It seems idiots with guns know no bounds. Now that I'm retired I shoot at a private club. (They are open to the public on weekends). In the cooler weather, (from the end of September until early May), I usually go early in the morning on weekdays, and end up having the whole place to myself most of the time.

Originally Posted By: FirstNissan
I have been on the hunt for some land to make a personal pistol/shotgun range on for the past 3 months. I have looked at 9 properties, and a really attractive plot got into a bidding war this morning. I am pretty disappointed with this latest update.

I have used mostly indoor shooting range sin the past however I prefer the noise reduction of outdoor ranges. I am wondering whether leasing a few acres from local farmers would be a possibility. I have tried looking up options online with minimal success. have any of you had any luck either buying land to shoot on or leasing land?

Thank

Anything is possible. A shooting bench and roof is easy, but do you have the equipment or want to pay someone to build an appropriate safe backstop? And what does the farmer do with that lead when you're done? In this day and age no matter what agreement you sign he will be assuming liability for your shooting. Not impossible but doesn't sound worth it for the farmer. May be best to keep searching for your own land and be prepared to pay more than you want to get it. Indoor ranges contain the noise, outdoor lets you share it with the neighbors.. could be a problem depending on how much and what you plan to shoot. Good luck, I prefer shooting by myself somewhere for the reasons already stated.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
All that lead in the ground can't be something a farmer would want in their land.
Where does lead come from?

Originally Posted By: CT8

Exactly.

Exactly.

There's no lead in bullets that can leach into the soil?

Exactly.
There's no lead in bullets that can leach into the soil?
Lead comes from the ground is the point that billt60 and CT8 are making.

Their point is that the farmer's soil is already contaminated with lead so more lead from the bullets won't matter?

Their point is that the farmer's soil is already contaminated with lead so more lead from the bullets won't matter?
Not how I read it.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Not how I read it.

Me, either, but no need to side track this discussion further.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

There is some truth in that. But please don't think risks can't happen at a backyard range too. As I mentioned, I have a backyard range. So do my neighbors. A few years back, I found my plastic lawnmower shed perforated by a number of "stray" rounds. I have no idea who did it, but I'm glad I was not retrieving the mower at the time.

True. It seems idiots with guns know no bounds. Now that I'm retired I shoot at a private club. (They are open to the public on weekends). In the cooler weather, (from the end of September until early May), I usually go early in the morning on weekdays, and end up having the whole place to myself most of the time.

I also belong to a private clib now, with an indoor range. One side is for rifles & shotguns, the other side for handguns. There is an associated shop but it's staffed seperately with seperate hours. All the staff have been very professional & courteous. They are also open to the public and for some reason get a lot of tourist traffic. There is a list of forbidden weapons & calibers, but nothing I pwn is on the list. Often I too have the pistol side to myself on weekdays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back