Dexos1 Gen2 SN vs Dexos1 Gen 2 SN Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any difference? Is the Dexos1 Gen2 SN the same thing as the SN Plus,with the SN Plus just being an "updated label"? Reason I ask,I bought a jug of oil for my 300ZX and saw when I got home with it that it's the SN and not the SN Plus. Should I go back and trade it for the SN Plus jug? Will I be getting a "better" formula/oil?

They are seperate but can be combined. The SN Plus is useful if you have a GDI with a turbo. If no turbo,I wouldn’t bother going back.
By the way although you can find D1G2 that is also SN Plus, 10W30 does not come in D1G2 but it does come in SN Plus.

Last edited:
‘96 300z using QSUD 10W30. Stay with that. Don’t waste the gas exchanging for the “new and improved “ oil.

You've been here long enough to know that your 22-year old car (that probably specs SH oil) isn't going to care. Use what you have already and feel good about it.

If it's Pennzoil SN or SN+, it's identical oil, just the label is updated. They say so on their website, can't argue with the ones who made the oil and put into the bottle.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
You've been here long enough to know that your 22-year old car (that probably specs SH oil) isn't going to care. Use what you have already and feel good about it.

Oh yeah,I know any oil spec'd from 1996+ is all I need,I just want the newest and best (if in fact it's better) formulation for the twenty bucks I laid down. The jug I bought has a born on date of Dec 2017.

Todays oils are as goo as they can be . The high output engines these days are holding up.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Todays oils are as good as they can be . The high output engines these days are holding up.

True indeed CT8.

I had to go to Walmart to buy some AA batteries. I went to the biggest newest one near me and out of curiosity looked at all the oil jugs. It was all SN (no SN Plus) Dec 2017 stock. Has the SN Plus not fully taken over yet?

Walmart here...all SN Plus. Hard to find just SN.
But it doesn't matter if you can find d1G2.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Walmart here...all SN Plus.

Same here except for Mobil 1. It's still all SN D1G2.

Walmart here...all SN Plus. Hard to find just SN. But it doesn't matter if you can find d1G2.

Effectively true.
Technically, SN+ means it passed the upcoming GF-6 LSPI test on a Ford Ecoboost engine.
dexos1 Gen2 means it passed a 'similar', but not quite the same, LSPI test on a GM turbo-DI engine.
Therefore, if its "dexos1 Gen2 SN+" then its double-sure to avoid LSPI.
In the real world I don't think both tests (Ford & GM) are necessary, as one will do, but I guesss nice to have.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Walmart here...all SN Plus. Hard to find just SN. But it doesn't matter if you can find d1G2.

Effectively true.
Technically, SN+ means it passed the upcoming GF-6 LSPI test on a Ford Ecoboost engine.
dexos1 Gen2 means it passed a 'similar', but not quite the same, LSPI test on a GM turbo-DI engine.
Therefore, if its "dexos1 Gen2 SN+" then its double-sure to avoid LSPI.
In the real world I don't think both tests (Ford & GM) are necessary, as one will do, but I guesss nice to have.

Agreed. But I'd rather have d1G2 if pressed. An oil has to pass more tests than just LSPI to obtain that certification. But SN + is better than SN if you drive a turbo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back