JB Weld OK to use on a steel teapot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks, I guess the subject line says it all.

My wife has a beloved stainless-steel teapot that began leaking slowly, and then quickly. The spout, also SS, is welded or glued on, and is leaking where it's joined to the body of the teapot.

I ran a bead of JB Weld around the perimeter of the spout, and am waiting for it to dry. It now occurs to me that JB Weld might not be appropriate for being in contact with tea; that is, that it might contain something toxic.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance!

I would have the same concerns. Also not sure how long it will last being heat cycled like that, especially on sheet metal.

I told a friend my dad was JB welding the oil plan on his truck because it has rusted. He told me it would not last through the winter. Completely different application, but sheet metal will change dimensions more than the JB will.

JB Weld FAQ says it is non-toxic when cured. You should not consume it, but I don't see making tea or hot water as consumption of JB Weld.

The number one question, is JB weld food safe? I wouldn't be using that on anything I eat or drink.

Unless that teapot is used only for watering plants, throw it out and buy a new one.

I did a search for JB weld temperature.

J-B Weld is waterproof, petroleum/chemical-resistant (when hardened), and acid-resistant. It also resists shock, vibration, and extreme temperature fluctuations. J-B Weld can withstand a constant temperature of 500 °F (260 °C), and the maximum temperature threshold is approximately 600 °F (316 °C) for 10 minutes.

I would do a UOA on some of the water that was boiled after the repair to see what contaminants are in it. Be sure to request TBN/TAN for the full picture.
grin2.gif

I think the different expansion rate of metal vs epoxy will make this fail in short order. Could you get it tig welded or brazed?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JayhawkRoy
JB Weld FAQ says it is non-toxic when cured. You should not consume it, but I don't see making tea or hot water as consumption of JB Weld.

If it's not NSF certified then it ain't going on any teapot of mine.

Thanks, guys, for all of the replies. I would surmise that it's likely safe, but I don't think "likely" is good enough. I read an article about lead poisoning in a Reader's Digest article when I was about 12, and I've been aware of the issue ever since. The family had bought a stoneware pitcher in Mexico while on vacation, and had intermittent symptoms (later correlated to when they were using the pitcher) for a number of years afterwards. It turned out that the acid in the orange juice had leached lead out of the glaze.

I'll contact J B Weld for guidance. If there's any doubt about the cured product being food-grade appropriate, the tea pot will become a planter or small-item holder.

New teapot time. It is not food grade if it said "non toxic after cured".

I won't trust a soldered tea pot either, heat can soften the solder and result in a slow leak over time.

You can probably still keep that teapot as a decoration but if your wife really loves it, get a used one off ebay.

I'd use it for a flower pot, not something I would be brewing anything for human consumption in.

Interesting that people wont stick it on with a bit of epoxy cause its dangerous but would smoke a pack of cigarettes a day without a care in the world. Clean off the JB and have it silver soldered on there ...that should make the smokers happy. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back