F150 3.5 Ecoboost, Troubling UOA, Castrol Edge 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gasbuggy, KJSmith -
Thanks for the info; I've learned something about the EB again. Had no idea how the HPFP worked; now I know.

And yes - the worst design Ford ever came up with was the embedded water pump on the 3.5L engine. Yikes! Great engine, until you have a pump issue.
Honorable mention for another terrible design is the SOHC 4.0L Cologne v-6 with it's multiple cam/jack-shaft/multi-jain arrangement. They took a great engine (the 4.0L OHV) and turned it into a nightmare.

All this makes me love my 4.6L 2v engines more and more every day; simple and robust!

Aha. When the early post said behind your head, I though they meant is was in the cab - which didn't make sense.

Next we'll see cam lobes wiped like the VW - unless for employed a roller follower.

Reminds me of old mech pumps driven off the T chain eccentric. when the diaphragm failed it dumped gasoline into the oil.

Oh I missed the viscosity figures the first time. Doh. You went from about 13 to 8.5. Thats a lot of fuel leaking into the oil.
Seems like if the hpfp were leaking that would cause a drop in performance.... Unless the rail and line pressures just seep into the valve cover when you shut off the engine.

So every time the truck is driven a long ways, it evaporates gas out of the oil to keep the level from rising too much. Just enough fuel to ruin the viscosity.

Last edited:
Dang, that is a lot of off road miles, considering it doesn't have cats, I assume you only drive it off road.

Anyways, it is a tuned truck, tuners write the MAF transfer tables rich to add a margin of safety. You don't have a way to log STFT and LTFT tables?

Originally Posted By: BeerCan
I would not trust Blackstone's fuel numbers personally

Yes. I would love it if they would start doing fuel by GC instead of pulling numbers out of their behinds. But, in this case their is a pretty significant amount of fuel. And there has been in every previous UOA.
I'd wager a guess the fuel starting at the oldest to the newest, is probably 4, 1, 3, 4, and 6%.

What tuner does he have? I know the SCT devices you can log with the tuner itself. Plug it in and set it up for datalog. Plug it into your computer and you get a CSV file of the logged values.

Originally Posted By: John_Dude
Oh I missed the viscosity figures the first time. Doh. You went from about 13 to 8.5. Thats a lot of fuel leaking into the oil.
Seems like if the hpfp were leaking that would cause a drop in performance.... Unless the rail and line pressures just seep into the valve cover when you shut off the engine.

So every time the truck is driven a long ways, it evaporates gas out of the oil to keep the level from rising too much. Just enough fuel to ruin the viscosity.

It doesnt take much fuel to do this. The pump will be designed to handle all the fuel the engine could need, and then some to allow for wear. Its not going to be [censored] into the engine, or it would be running out of his valve covers 10 miles after the oil change. If its the issue, its likely somewhere between a seep and a drip.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Aha. When the early post said behind your head, I though they meant is was in the cab - which didn't make sense.

Next we'll see cam lobes wiped like the VW - unless for employed a roller follower.

Reminds me of old mech pumps driven off the T chain eccentric. when the diaphragm failed it dumped gasoline into the oil.

I should have tried to be a little clearer about it.

IIRC 17+ has roller followers.

Are we sure that this PCMO is 0w 40 EDGE , dead giveaway no TITANIUM & no Sign of MAG in this soup ? sheared down to 54 cts from 74 cts average . Should ask BS for a retake . My favorite saint is ST Thomas .

You did not use Castrol EDGE 0W-40. No titanium, should not have moly, and not enough Zn or P (should be 900-1000ppm).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back