This week's project: 2009 Tahoe engine R&R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone seems to like my random work project posts... here's this week's fun:

2009 Tahoe, 192k on the clock. AFM lifters failed on #6. Customer elected to have a GM crate motor installed. Total cost: around $7,900.

The engine came out easily. I pulled the front end for easy of removal, but left the condenser in place. The new engine will be getting a new water pump, plugs, gaskets and exhaust manifold bolts. Yesterday was removal, today was tear down, tomorrow will be install. Hopefully she'll be up and running by early afternoon.

Wow they are shelling out big bucks for tahoe repair. What crate engine? Was it a stock crate engine or a performance one?

It's just a stock 5.3, right from GM. Although a 6.0/6.2 would bolt in no problem and the price difference is tiny!

should've gotten an LS9 swap
19.gif

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Oh BTW did you plug up the AC lines or do you plan on replacing the accumulator?

They're plugged up. I grabbed that picture right after I pulled the engine. I'll of course do a long vacuum on the system before I recharge. It blew cold when it came in, it'll blow cold when it leaves!

Originally Posted By: 14Accent
Although a 6.0/6.2 would bolt in no problem and the price difference is tiny!

Did you advise them regarding this?

I'd hate to shell out $8K and 5 thousand miles later, have it totaled in a wreck.
What would an insurance company give you on a 10 model year old Tahoe? They could care
less you dumped a fortune in a new engine.

It's just a stock 5.3, right from GM. Although a 6.0/6.2 would bolt in no problem and the price difference is tiny!

That's exactly what me and my son are doing to his 2004 Yukon. Had a 5.3 start knocking at 190k miles, and I had a rebuilt 6.0 sitting and waiting, so in it went. Waiting now on trans rebuild.

Originally Posted By: dogememe
4l60 or 6l80?

6L80. I mentioned the 6.2 idea more as a joke, GM won't warranty the engine if it's installed in a non-stock application (e.g. a 6.2 where a 5.3 once was). Or they do but not for as long... I forget.

The engine comes with a 3yr/300k warranty valid at any GM dealer in NA. It's a pretty good deal.

I was initially surprised someone would drop that much on a new engine for a car, but new Tahoe's and id bet used also are quite expensive.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
I was initially surprised someone would drop that much on a new engine for a car, but new Tahoe's and id bet used also are quite expensive.

Around here it's not uncommon to see a Tahoe with 150k+ still going for 15k. He'll get many more miles out of this truck.

The engine comes with a 3yr/300k warranty valid at any GM dealer in NA. It's a pretty good deal.

And does that cover just the engine sans plugs/WP/accessories or the labor as well if something in the long block goes bad?

Even if it's a parts only warranty, it's still better than a Jasper engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back