Hong Kong Cage Homes - This is just nuts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No words to describe this...
crazy2.gif

Reminiscent of the USSR, where multiple families lived in one apartment in large apartment blocks.

Majority of this world's population lives in conditions similar to or worse than this... think of all the millions of people living in the slums and on the streets of India, Pakistan, Mexico, South Africa, Kenya. What we have here in North America is actual not "normal", despite us thinking that it is.

That doesn't make it ok or right. Even if our definition of "Normal" is far outweighed in numbers by this sort of thing.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
That doesn't make it ok or right. Even if our definition of "Normal" is far outweighed in numbers by this sort of thing.

Its Hong Kongs problem.

Does it make it wrong by not fitting you normal? just stirring the pot.

Population density plus property values higher than most US cities gives you those small houses. I’ve seen whole families of 6-8 people live in houses less than 50m2. That is typical.

Communism can work in theory but it needs strong controls on the concentration of power at the top which sadly has never happened when it was implemented and well we end up with countries like this one that exemplify what's wrong with it.

Not saying I would want it that way, just that it could work properly and have great benefits if done properly but there is too much room for corruption in the current model.

Anyone that truly feels that a democracy is better... Try missing a few payments on your taxes, mortgage etc.
lol.gif

Try missing a few payments on your taxes, mortgage etc.
lol.gif

You'll get a visit from him haha:

Communism can work in theory but it needs strong controls on the concentration of power at the top

Those controls have to come from the people. Again will not coexist. You are seeing what it progresses to.

Last edited:
I stayed in a cage home for 5 days while travelling on a Walkabout in 1986. It was on the 20th floor of a high rise and the owner was renting out to travellers but also to retired old men. You could padlock your cage and leave your backback there during the day. Also stayed at a capsule hotel in Japan. They are for businessmen who missed the last train of the day.

I guess the amazing thing is that so many people want to live in Hong Kong. It’s one crowed place but extremely vibrant.
A real eye opener!

Originally Posted By: spasm3

Its a communist country, those 2 things don't coexist.

Hong Kong is run completely separate from mainland China. They do not use the mainland communism.

I just came back from a 3 week business trip to Botswana, Malawi, and Uganda. The vast majority in the US have no clue of what we take for granted.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Hong Kong is run completely separate from mainland China. They do not use the mainland communism.

LOLing, glad you got in before me.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

LOLing, glad you got in before me.

I thought they were more westernized as well? Obviously, the OP doesn't show this.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

I thought they were more westernized as well? Obviously, the OP doesn't show this.

Is Japan westernised ?

The life of a Salaryman is a tiny box with a few hung clothes hung around them within reasonable commute to the business.

Remember, the vast majority of human existence has been multigenerational housing. Individual families, and more recently individual houses with half a family, every second week are a quite recent phenomenon.

The current western model is destruction of the family, and especially the extended family.

The book end to that is people moving to where the work is, and living in boxes/cages to be close to work.

We do it to our pets...and we do it to our old people...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back