Subaru Legacy 2.5 review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Al
As usual the haters are out....all the while Subaru's sales gains % are one of the best if not the best. Subaru's are very complicated vehicles compared to straight 4 cylinder vehicles with FWD. So it will have proportionately more repairs. For those that hate on the subie bc you don't use awd very much Subaru is not like other AWD" vehicles. Most of them are 'awd' when the rears lose traction. So you don't get any benefits of awd during normal driving.

I have 177K miles on my 08 Forester. Yes it has had the HG replaced, but that was bc its a known issue..I was proactive in replacing it. It had 2 alternators replaced, timing belt, a radiator (for peace of mind) and a rear wheel bearing. Thats it. It uses a quart of oil ever 4K miles. I could take it across the U.S. right now and have confidence in it.

So approx $4500 over 11 years and its extremely reliable now.

I have driven the 2.5i and it is certainly not a dog. I opted for the XT bc I could. The 'CVT' has in addition to manual paddle shifters 2 sports modes where it anticipates aggressive acceleration. It is probably the quickest of even premium Turbo SUV's with a 2.0T 250HP bc it is several hundred pounds lighter. In addition the symmetrical AWD is unique except for Audi which manages to do it without the opposed/flat 4cyl.

Again. They are not for everyone and they have their faults. But the majority of folks that buy one will stay with the brand.

Great cars, except for a 1999 to 2010 year span of head gasket problems, followed by a massive oil burning problem from 2011 to 2014...

If you really like them the head gasket issue is not a deal breaker. But for uneducated used buyers, it's a big surprise.

They're popular because they are a lifestyle/statement brand not because they are super reliable. If Subaru was a beer it would be Jeep Wrangler Lite. They're for outdoorsy types who own a kayak or like to go hiking with their rescue dogs and that park parking lot is a little muddy sometimes, lesbians also, and every other person in New England.

My neighbors 11 or 12 Forester just blew up two weeks ago and left him stranded while on vacation at 130ish k. He couldn't keep up with the oil burning. He is not a proactive owner, he's just a normal guy used to owning Toyotas.

I'm dating a girl with a 09 Forester Limited right now. I'll have to check out this alternator issue because her battery dies easily if she listens to the radio for more than 10 minutes, but the battery charges up well. Car has 130k on it. Heat shield needs to come off.

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy

I'll have to check out this alternator issue because her battery dies easily if she listens to the radio for more than 10 minutes, but the battery charges up well. Car has 130k on it.

If it has not had its alternator changed, just do it. While you are in there replace the AC idler bearing.

Problem being that I've owned a couple of Gen 5 Accords and have driven another across the country and also have a couple of 2.5 Subies so I know that the Hondas aren't that fast nor are the Subarus that slow.
An LX or DX Gen 5 Accord has 130 bhp while the EX has 145 bhp.
Either of our Foresters has 177 bhp and will easily "pull" a Gen 5 Accord.
Your ex was apparently either being nice to you or simply wasn't racing you.
Incidentally, since we own both a four speed autobox and a CVT Forester I'll let you know that the current Subaru CVT is awesome.
Smooth and seamless in operation as compared to any conventional automatic.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I'll let you know that the current Subaru CVT is awesome.
Smooth and seamless in operation as compared to any conventional automatic.

I agree. I liked the CVT's feel very much.

I'll have to check out this alternator issue because her battery dies easily if she listens to the radio for more than 10 minutes, but the battery charges up well. Car has 130k on it.

If it has not had its alternator changed, just do it. While you are in there replace the AC idler bearing.

Thanks Al. I was poking some fun at Subaru, but overall they are good cars. Their engines face the right direction, easy to work on, and they sound great. I would daily a turbo forester in a heartbeat.

Thanks Al. I was poking some fun at Subaru, but overall they are good cars. Their engines face the right direction, easy to work on, and they sound great. I would daily a turbo forester in a heartbeat.

Don't buy the bearing from subaru. Check around for the best price. Check ebay/amazon. Don't remember where I bought mine. But believe me this thing WILL fail. Also I keep the belts as lose as I reasonably can.

There had to be something wrong with that particular vehicle. I drive Subies regularly, and although they aren't powerhouses, they're far from slow. "Wheels" magazine in Oz tested the 2.5 CVT Liberty (Legacy to the rest of the world) from 0-100km/h (62mph) at 9.2 seconds.

Originally Posted By: hpb
There had to be something wrong with that particular vehicle. I drive Subies regularly, and although they aren't powerhouses, they're far from slow. "Wheels" magazine in Oz tested the 2.5 CVT Liberty (Legacy to the rest of the world) from 0-100km/h (62mph) at 9.2 seconds.

Already mentioned, there was nothing wrong with it. I've driven plenty of them before, this one's performance was nominal (normal) . 175HP, 4000 pounds and a CVT.

I've been looking for a vehicle for snow, so I've been considering Subaru. I've driven quite a few of the new models, in particular, I like the 3.6L Outback.

The magazines test it (in performance enhancing cold weather) at a near 17 second quarter mile and even more telling, the super low 84mph trap speed. That reflects my results. It's among the slowest new cars.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
hpb said:
I've been looking for a vehicle for snow, so I've been considering Subaru. I've driven quite a few of the new models, in particular, I like the 3.6L Outback.

You can pick up a '18 Forester XT

How exactly did you hand time this car's acceleration?
Also, where did you get the idea that a Legacy sedan weighs 4000 pounds?
Were you carrying a bunch of gold bricks or iron pigs in the car?
As other Subaru owners have noted above, they aren't that slow, so there may well have been something wrong with your rental.

I don't hate the CVT in our FozXT.
smile.gif

However, I love the DSG in our R.
grin.gif

That's all I got...

Subaru? Number one car in the ditch in Colorado when snow hits. I actually towed Outback with VW CC (FWD) from ditch. Company that claims that has best AWD, yet once things get bit rough it shuts down power to save CVT leaving driver and passengers stuck.
In sum: company that claims that has best passive safety while having probably worst active safety. I guess owners need all those airbags, self braking etc. because the way they move and brake, it is actually achievement to make it so bad.

Last edited:
I'm convinced its due to the tires (and owner over-confidence) more than anything else. My BMW with decent winter tires will easily out handle a 4WD with all season tires in heavy snow.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Subaru? Number one car in the ditch in Colorado when snow hits. I actually towed Outback with VW CC (FWD) from ditch. Company that claims that has best AWD, yet once things get bit rough it shuts down power to save CVT leaving driver and passengers stuck.
In sum: company that claims that has best passive safety while having probably worst active safety. I guess owners need all those airbags, self braking etc. because the way they move and brake, it is actually achievement to make it so bad.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
Depends upon one's definition of slow and how quick the driver wants to be off the line.
11 seconds to 60 is real world slow

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I'm convinced its due to the tires (and owner over-confidence) more than anything else. My BMW with decent winter tires will easily out handle a 4WD with all season tires in heavy snow.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Yep it is, and Subaru as company does not help by telling people in their commercials: if you do not buy Subaru, your family will die in miserable death.
I was unfortunately exposed for 3+ years to enemy propaganda while surrounded. Their commercials sometimes remind me of that enemy propaganda.
Then they give their POS AWD (Yes POS, because with CVT it cannot do literally anything serious) to their customer base that thinks that now they solved all their life issues, but what you got is suicidal/homicidal vehicle.
I said this before here:
Where I work in Colorado Springs there is incline that is some 200 yards long. My co-worker, which hates to drive, owned Chevrolet Cobalt forever. Although we have more than 300 sunny days, and snow melts next day, snow storms/blizzards can be brutal. She never comes to work if snows due to snow/incline.
Well one day she comes to my offices (I was constantly telling her to get snow tires) and proudly throws keys on my desk. I take keys and it is Subaru. She got Impreza, basic model, looking nice. She proudly says: now I can drive up to office. I said: yeah, maybe, but what about going down incline with 8-9% grade? Her answer? that will be fine.
Well one night she ws in office until 9pm and snowing, snow covered ice, etc. At the bottom of incline is traffic light. Of course, she blew thru light. Luckily no one was going thru intersection.
Did she get tires? No, she stop coming to office when it snows.

Traffic lights or stop signs at the bottom of steep hills are insanity.

People sometimes need to be reminded that all cars have 4 wheel braking. An all-wheel-drive vehicle does not stop any better than a 2-wheel-drive vehicle. As others wrote, in wintery conditions tires make all the difference.

The Subaru hatred out there is laughable! I just test drive a crosstrek last night. My sister is in the market. It wasn’t fast but it’s not supposed to be a fast car. I didn’t find it terribly slow either. I thought it was a nice little crossover vehicle that is more foul weather capable than your average vehicle. And as for the AWD not being good, I’d you follow the fast lane car YouTube channel at all They have a video where they drove thru a gold mining town in Colorado. Half the vehicles were Subaru’s. Wonder why?

I did once manage to get stuck in my Forester with its 'POS AWD'. The tow truck couldn't tow me out with 4WD, it had to winch me out.

The 'POS AWD' was making a valiant try, but with two wheels off the ground and the other two on snow, it just ended up spinning all four wheels. With three wheels on the ground, it would probably have done its job and got me out.

Of course, I wouldn't even have been able to get myself into that spot if I didn't have snow tires.

Originally Posted By: blueglide88
The Subaru hatred out there is laughable! I just test drive a crosstrek last night. My sister is in the market. It wasn’t fast but it’s not supposed to be a fast car. I didn’t find it terribly slow either. I thought it was a nice little crossover vehicle that is more foul weather capable than your average vehicle. And as for the AWD not being good, I’d you follow the fast lane car YouTube channel at all They have a video where they drove thru a gold mining town in Colorado. Half the vehicles were Subaru’s. Wonder why?

Colorado is second biggest market for Subaru in the US, and largest Subaru dealership is right here in Colorado Springs.
Again, number one car in the ditch when snows, fallowed by trucks and of course, JEEP's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back